• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite red wine?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grunhauser
Burgundy is it. Everything else exists to make Burgundy wines look even more attractive. Finding your producer/vineyard/vintage at price point is like, good luck to you. Cool thing thing about it, money don't always mean you're getting it. There are other beauties, like wines from obscure villages in Loire where producers are fighting the good fight. Luckily most people do not get them because they drink too much of "local stuff", keeping the prices low. With that said, Chardonnay, believe it or not, is not as bad as they paint it. Fantastic with rich seafood dishes like scallops and lobster, some of the best examples are extremely affordable and learning how to differentiate between fluff and the real thing is worth the effort. Cheers to all!

The finest use of the chardonnay grape was a Meursault that cost me less than $20. This was three years ago, something I found while staying in burgundy. If my eyes hadn't been open, I'd have thought the wine was red. Very complex.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had a bottle of French wine that I preferred to Californian.
French wines that I had were all in $30-50/per bottle category. Most Californian Cabernets Sauvignons taste better to me and cost 1/4 of French.
For widely available and cheap stuff I would start with Robert Mondavi CS 2005. It is excellent wine.

cam_pearson

Reaction score
well.. 1990,1996 Château Latour
1988, 1990 Château Margaux but

any côtes du rhône Château ) neuf ) du pape makes me jolly!

cam_pearson

Reaction score
but it should be said, do be aware of highly priced foreign wines, do some research first, if you invest well you'll get a healthy return.. or you'll enjoy the experience, if you pay too much, you'll know straight away.

Cam -

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I have never had a bottle of French wine that I preferred to Californian.
French wines that I had were all in $30-50/per bottle category. Most Californian Cabernets Sauvignons taste better to me and cost 1/4 of French.
For widely available and cheap stuff I would start with Robert Mondavi CS 2005. It is excellent wine.

I don;t which wines you're comparing but as a general statement, I'd argue that ca. cabernet is the most overpriced wine in the world. Dollar for dollar, you'll do better just about anywhere.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
I don;t which wines you're comparing but as a general statement, I'd argue that ca. cabernet is the most overpriced wine in the world. Dollar for dollar, you'll do better just about anywhere.

I have to disagree. First, the exchange rate drives up all European wines. Second, there are still great Cali deals in cabs going on. Yes, some are totally over priced, i.e. SE, Harlan, but some are still great buys BVG Latour, some Mondavi bottlings, Staglin, Paul Hobbs, Caymus, to name several. Third, what is it going to cost to get into a good Bordeaux? A French equivalent of SE or Harlan is going to run about double.

Want a hint where to get well priced Cali cabs? CostCo. I got 03 BVG Latour for $75 and 04 Mondavi for $80.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We greatly enjoy wine w/ our meals, but I have never bought a $75 bottle of wine except in a restaurant. I guess these are relativley(?
crazy.gif
) good deals, but certainly not for everyday consumption (unless you're $$$$$). Lower tier ($10 - $20) '05 Bordeauxs are now being released to critical acclaim!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure

I buy Robert Mondavi Cabernet in XL bottles at 12.99 dollars a bottle. This is my regular table wine for every day consumption. It runs me a $6.50 per 0.75L.
Call me a novice at wine selection, but I never had French RED wine that I liked better than this extra cheap Mondavi, let alone more expensive vintaged CA reds.
Perhaps I am unlucky and I was served very mediocre and overpriced French wines either that or most French wines are overpriced and mediocre.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
We greatly enjoy wine w/ our meals, but I have never bought a $75 bottle of wine except in a restaurant. I guess these are relativley(?
crazy.gif
) good deals, but certainly not for everyday consumption (unless you're $$$$$). Lower tier ($10 - $20) '05 Bordeauxs are now being released to critical acclaim!

Well, with that Cali cabs in the $80 range. If they are ready to drink, we will usually pop at least one bottle like this a week. Often though, you need to cellar for three or more years, so it is deferred consumption. My daily drinkers are more in the 20-30 dollar range and usually pinots.

dkzzzz, most wines in the world are mediocre (or lower). That is a simple fact. Also, French wines can be very confusing and misleading. I won't get into how you can get a village appellation for a tab vin, etc. The French have a different system and you can also get fantastic wine cheap some years, as production limits are placed, so even if you have say, 30k gallons of fantastic grape juice, you have to bottle some of it in lower graded wine. So it is a give and take and I will admit I am not a master at it.

To Roma: Aussie and S. America is where the really good deals are right now on daily drinkers.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, with that Cali cabs in the $80 range. If they are ready to drink, we will usually pop at least one bottle like this a week. Often though, you need to cellar for three or more years, so it is deferred consumption. My daily drinkers are more in the 20-30 dollar range and usually pinots.

dkzzzz, most wines in the world are mediocre (or lower). That is a simple fact. Also, French wines can be very confusing and misleading. I won't get into how you can get a village appellation for a tab vin, etc. The French have a different system and you can also get fantastic wine cheap some years, as production limits are placed, so even if you have say, 30k gallons of fantastic grape juice, you have to bottle some of it in lower graded wine. So it is a give and take and I will admit I am not a master at it.

To Roma: Aussie and S. America is where the really good deals are right now on daily drinkers.

S.Am. I like Chile and Argentina (Mendosa valley), but what could you recommend for Australian Red?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S.Am. I like Chile and Argentina (Mendosa valley), but what could you recommend for Australian Red?

I would recommend a Kangarilla Road Cab Sauv. I've had an 03 and an 04, both of which were very good. I think was around $15-20. I liked the bottle so much I kept it on my dresser for about a year afterwards.

05_cabsav.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Had good luck with their Mablecs. Can't think of one off the top of my head though, sorry. Yalumba does this "Museum Sherry" that is very good. Can't drink much as it's too sweet, but smokey, honey, pepper/spice...very nice. I am not a big white guy (well, actually, I am on another level
laugh.gif
) but I hear their Chards can be very nice too. They are doing well with Pinots too, as well as New Zealand. I had one named 'Aukura" that was quite tasty for about $35 bucks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
crazy.gif

I agree with you. Most of the wine we consume at home is sub-$20 and goes great with food.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I have to disagree. First, the exchange rate drives up all European wines. Second, there are still great Cali deals in cabs going on. Yes, some are totally over priced, i.e. SE, Harlan, but some are still great buys BVG Latour, some Mondavi bottlings, Staglin, Paul Hobbs, Caymus, to name several. Third, what is it going to cost to get into a good Bordeaux? A French equivalent of SE or Harlan is going to run about double. Want a hint where to get well priced Cali cabs? CostCo. I got 03 BVG Latour for $75 and 04 Mondavi for $80.
first, a quick search using winesearcher.com shows you overpaid for the BVG Latour. Second, in a blind tasting, it will perform like a $30 wine. The Mondavi is a well made wine and I suppose fairly priced for a ca. wine but overpriced vs. the rest of the world. Look, its hard to compare ca. cabernet to other parts of the world. I think most people would agree that a world class wine of equal quality in Spain, the loire valley, Australia, a CDP, etc, you can spend 1/4 to half money for the same level of quality.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lennonmaverick