• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever got in a fight?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think the fact that you're imagining that makes you gayer than any one of us.
LOL Touche'
boxing[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the fact that you're imagining that makes you gayer than any one of us.
I bet he was imagining something else that's generally done in a circle, and it's certainly not slapping.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ

Can't include sports fights into that because we had fights every damn week in practice.

Yeah, I forgot about those. In college I got in plenty of sports fights.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Swaine Adeney Brigg? Malacca cane wrapped in ostrich skin with a sterling silver nose cap and a sterling silver collar engraved with Brigg's Royal Warrant?
laugh.gif

Actually it was a whangee type thing. Rather generic though.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Since we've all posted tough guy stories, I'll post an embarassing one.

My friend, JV, who's always had no problem fighting, and me, who always has, go out to a college bar about three years ago. On our way home, while walking out to our car, JV and another guy start jawing. Eventually, the guy and his friend come over. Now JV and the other guy are roughly the same size, while the other guy's friend is just massive. So, I'm just dreading this getting physical, because I don't like to fight (I really don't like getting angry in general, I hate the loss of control) and the guy I'm going to have to fight will likely destroy me.
So when the inevitable happens and JV and the other guy get to swinging, I immediately say "Hey, let's keep it a fair fight" This works for about five minutes, until JV gets pinned to the ground and resorts to BITING the guy's hand to get free and subsequently mount the guy (Connie, SoCal, etc. try not to get too worked up) and go to town.
Massive guy goes in and gives JV a good kick, I freeze for a second or two and this bum comes flying in out of nowhere and hits massive guy with a shoe and keeps at until the fight breaks up. The best I managed was a little shoving during the breaking it up part.
Afterwards, bum chides me to put some weight on and protect my friends better. Pretty humbling. Naturally, he then asked for some money and I gave him ten bucks. I felt like the Union guys who paid to have people fight in their place in the Civil War. Not a night I'm too proud of.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some balance to the anecdotes.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a fight in years, a few scuffles at college events but nothing where fist were thrown. I actually haven't had a one on one fight since 9th grade, I've never lost a one on one fight. Having only 3 in my life might figure into that undefeated record.
The last fight I got in was in 1997 when a friend and I went to the movies started, trouble with one fellow who was slightly smaller than me. He came back with 5 -6 guys, all bigger than us both. WE all spoke for a few minute talking about "give my boy a head up" and other avoidances until I tired of it and hit someone. Funny thing is everyone collapse onto my friend instead of me. So I spent most the time pushing them off him instead of fighting. After it all calmed down, one of the guys, took that as an opportunity to punch me in the back of the head, the hit made my necklace fly off my neck and land 10 or so feet away. Oddly enough it didn't hurt and cowardly enough he ran to security, which were some Black guys who told me to hurry and leave before the cops came.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

My friend, JV, who's always had no problem fighting, and me, who always has, go out to a college bar about three years ago. On our way home, while walking out to our car, JV and another guy start jawing. Eventually, the guy and his friend come over. Now JV and the other guy are roughly the same size, while the other guy's friend is just massive. So, I'm just dreading this getting physical, because I don't like to fight (I really don't like getting angry in general, I hate the loss of control) and the guy I'm going to have to fight will likely destroy me.
So when the inevitable happens and JV and the other guy get to swinging, I immediately say "Hey, let's keep it a fair fight" This works for about five minutes, until JV gets pinned to the ground and resorts to BITING the guy's hand to get free and subsequently mount the guy (Connie, SoCal, etc. try not to get too worked up) and go to town.
Massive guy goes in and gives JV a good kick, I freeze for a second or two and this bum comes flying in out of nowhere and hits massive guy with a shoe and keeps at until the fight breaks up. The best I managed was a little shoving during the breaking it up part.
Afterwards, bum chides me to put some weight on and protect my friends better. Pretty humbling. Naturally, he then asked for some money and I gave him ten bucks. I felt like the Union guys who paid to have people fight in their place in the Civil War. Not a night I'm too proud of.

That's one of the best stories I've ever heard dude. No reason to be embarassed about that- obviously you have an understanding with the bums, which is sort of like the urban equivalent of being on good terms with the wood elves in an RPG.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

That's awesome.
crackup[1].gif

CBDB

Reaction score
Where's SoCal? I'm sure he's slapped another man at some point.
lol8[1].gif

Why? Rough trade?
devil.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got dragged into a fight in Tokyo in college. I was walking from some random bar back to the station at 6AM with a friend (who is stinking drunk) and his girlfriend. My friend stumbled into a random Japanese dude (RJD) who was sitting on the sidewalk railing about half a block up from Almond on Roppongi Dori. My friend then starts cursing at RJD in English and shoves RJD in the chest. RJD then gets down off the railing and shoves my friend, who drunkenly topples to the ground.

Up till this point I was mostly just amused at how drunk and obnoxious my friend was being. However, RJD then proceeds to mount my friend (or in non-martial arts and less homoerotic terms, straddles his chest) and starts punching him in the face. At this point I figure I should step in before my friend gets hurt. I didn't really feel it was appropriate to go hard after RJD, after all he was just minding his own business when a drunken gaijin ran into him and then started a fight. So instead of kicking him in the ribs or head to get him off my friend, I grab RJD by his collar and hair to pull him off. Bad move on my part, since previously unnoticed RJD no. 2 comes in while I am bent down tugging on RJD and punches me right in the face. I kick RJD no. 2 in the gut and he backs off to catch his wind.

While I am thinking about what to do next (because I'm still stuck on the idea that this wasn't my fight) some random North African guy who we met earlier in the night comes running down the street, screaming at the top of his lungs, jumps into the middle of the fight, and starts doing crazy spinning jumping kicks while yelling "**** Japanese people, leave the gaijin alone." We all stop and look at this guy, somewhat dumbfounded. Then someone yells "keisatsu!!!" and we all run down the steps into the station, jump on the Hibiya-sen going the wrong way, and spend the rest of the morning wandering home.

Moral of the story: if you go to Roppongi, leave the bad drunk at home.
Moral of the story no. 2: always be nice to the random Tunisian. Maybe he'll threaten to kick someone's ass for you someday.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What triggered him to withdraw his offer of a fight?

Originally Posted by romafan
the Macedonian death stare...
boxing[1].gif

Yup, plus I think he was a little hasty in his will to resort to fistacuffs and didn't properly analyze the situation.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I got dragged into a fight in Tokyo in college. I was walking from some random bar back to the station at 6AM with a friend (who is stinking drunk) and his girlfriend. My friend stumbled into a random Japanese dude (RJD) who was sitting on the sidewalk railing about half a block up from Almond on Roppongi Dori. My friend then starts cursing at RJD in English and shoves RJD in the chest. RJD then gets down off the railing and shoves my friend, who drunkenly topples to the ground.

Up till this point I was mostly just amused at how drunk and obnoxious my friend was being. However, RJD then proceeds to mount my friend (or in non-martial arts and less homoerotic terms, straddles his chest) and starts punching him in the face. At this point I figure I should step in before my friend gets hurt. I didn't really feel it was appropriate to go hard after RJD, after all he was just minding his own business when a drunken gaijin ran into him and then started a fight. So instead of kicking him in the ribs or head to get him off my friend, I grab RJD by his collar and hair to pull him off. Bad move on my part, since previously unnoticed RJD no. 2 comes in while I am bent down tugging on RJD and punches me right in the face. I kick RJD no. 2 in the gut and he backs off to catch his wind.

While I am thinking about what to do next (because I'm still stuck on the idea that this wasn't my fight) some random North African guy who we met earlier in the night comes running down the street, screaming at the top of his lungs, jumps into the middle of the fight, and starts doing crazy spinning jumping kicks while yelling "**** Japanese people, leave the gaijin alone." We all stop and look at this guy, somewhat dumbfounded. Then someone yells "keisatsu!!!" and we all run down the steps into the station, jump on the Hibiya-sen going the wrong way, and spend the rest of the morning wandering home.

Moral of the story: if you go to Roppongi, leave the bad drunk at home.
Moral of the story no. 2: always be nice to the random Tunisian. Maybe he'll threaten to kick someone's ass for you someday.

Great story, I can just imagine RJD's befuddlement. Would've been nice if the Tunisian had yelled "Leroy Jenkins!" first.

Mr. Applbey, the wood elves analogy gave me a guilty chuckle at the desk.

You guys shouldn't've encouraged me - one more JV fight story.
JV and another friend of mine, Tracy (who played nose tackle his freshman year at FSU before realizing he was never going to see any playing time - still absolutely massive though) were bouncers/door guys at a pretty popular bar in Tallahassee. Naturally, I and some other friends always hung out there and got great deals on drinks and in general had a good time. The bar was next door to the Police Department and always had a uniformed offduty cop there as well. Me, Tracy, and the cop are at the door - I'm taking the cover charge money for a little while (again, I went there a lot and they all trusted me) so the regular guy can take a piss. We're just shooting the ****, coincidentally telling bar fight stories, when a bar fight breaks out.
Near the dance floor, a black guy loudly tells a "cracker" to **** off, "cracker" responds with an n-bomb and in a flash about ten people are fighting, including three women, a one-armed man, and a tiny older guy that just jumped in for fun.
Tracy tells me to grab the cashbox, while he and the cop wade in. The cop drags one guy up the steps and pins him and gets a girl smashing a bottle over his head, cutting him pretty badly. He mule kicks the girl, knocking her down and keeps wrestling with the pinned guy. Another friend of mine, who black guy affectionately dubbed "*****", tackles black guy while his brother deals with the other two girls (who hilariously call him "Jose" - he's 3/8 chinese but looks somewhat hispanic, I guess). A random bar patron restrains bottle-wielding girl. Tracy jumps off the steps like BA on the A-Team intro and tackles one guy through a lattice-work wall. Stomps the guy in the chest to keep him down, darts back through the hole in wall and knocks out the little old guy cold. He's moving on to "cracker" when another guy tries to tackle him. Tracy picks him up by the waist and throws him down. Guy gets up and moves away from fight.
JV, meanwhile, showing his usual brave selection in targets, takes the one-armed man, grabs him from behind, gets a head butt to the nose in the process and easily gets the guy into a hammerlock. Someone threw a bottle at his head, but we never found out who.
I gave the cashbox to the bartender and helped out the cop with the clubbed guy (just kept him pinned), while he cuffed girl and cleaned up the mess. Best bar fight I've ever seen - we sit around and rehash it all the time. The hole Tracy knocked in the wall has been preserved.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
likethevegetable