• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
@ NYR
It's rainy/windy as hell out here on the island as well

Collar seems fine in the first pic, unfortunate in the second.

I also see what you were talking about with the cuff - it looks fine.

Love the raincoat.

Originally Posted by edmorel
what is unfortunate about the collar in the second pic?

Will shoot you a pm tonight...

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
+1
confused.gif

Pretty sweet collar roll, IMO.

On his left side (right for us) his collar is not full, seems as if the tie isn't high enough in the collar, kind of easy to miss. Easier to see if you magnify:

tl69S.png

Sorry about the pixelation there

Also, absolutely no disrespect to you NYR - you're well beyond me stylistically. I'm simply justifying my claim.

This picture also emphasizes how perfectly the cardigan fits.

Cheers V & UC, no dis taken V...aside from me being real easy, I also don't take the interwebs that seriously. Thanks for the comments.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Every time I go to wear a pocket square, I try like five different ones, they all look ridiculous to me, and I end up going back to a white linen TV fold. What should I have done instead?

Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I do the same thing except I add a step. After deciding that the white TV fold looks best, I force myself to wear something more daring anyway, and then I spend the rest of the day regretting that I didn't stick with the white TV fold. Your way is better.
+ infinity.
smile.gif

I'm no pocketsquare know-it-all but I thought you're not supposed to wear a white square with a white shirt.
If this is true, I'm so screwed.

IMG_1393.jpg

You're managing a remarkably consistent high standard.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Conservative as not to stir teh controversy lol
ec7f96eb.jpg

You should do conservative more often. Seriously - this is beautiful.

Originally Posted by Parker
Rumpled, gray and cold.

IMG_4795.jpg

Yep. Still hate you.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Rumpled, gray and cold.

IMG_4795.jpg

is that a navy mac? very swell.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I think you just snubbed Will's two-in-city, three-in-country rule and crossed straight over to five+in-the-ATL
biggrin.gif

lol - thanks bra. maybe its a good thing i dont know/havent read Will's rules. link?

Originally Posted by ld111134
Fo-shizzle, Nii.
biggrin.gif
Is that your AMG?

thanks Lou. Naah - not my AMG. drive the beat up e class next to it. my self esteem sinks everytime i park next to that AMG ... lol.

Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
Fantastic stuff Nii.

thanks EL.

Niidawg, you sport the stripes well. Sharp fit.

thanks man.

Fly.

fly-er-errrr...

Originally Posted by NOBD
Looking great, Nii.

thumbs-up.gif

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Raining monkeys in Brooklyn today...waiting for the WWof the W.

nice jacket Rob ... but that first picture is a great candidate for "face cropping" surgery ... lol.

Originally Posted by D Yizz

DY - something with the proportions. Seems like the jacket is either too long or the pants is too short. Can't put my finger on it, but the proportions are off to my eye(s).

Originally Posted by acridsheep
My wife called me a fuddy duddy this morning. Figured that meant I'd better make my first post here.

Welcome to a fellow ATLien
thumbs-up.gif

Originally Posted by gregaz
paris%202006%20002.jpg

amazing shot. quoting just cuz!!

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
5223523343_02065e6af7_b.jpg

that jacket is always a win ol' head
tongue.gif

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
If this is true, I'm so screwed.

To be honest, I'm totally new to style. I'm just picking up guidelines in my spare time and trying to equate them to my personal taste. If I criticize anyone it's just to exercise my eye in the hopes that if I'm really wrong, someone will correct me and I'll be all the better for it (I was wrong about thin jean cuffs and Diamonds' jacket, I appreciate the learning experience). That, and it helps me build stylistic confidence. I'm currently magnitudes beyond where I was a couple months ago, but I remain humble knowing that the worst shirt of most forumers probably fits better than my best shirt. Anyway, I read something yesterday about pocket squares, and I can't find it for the life of me. Its general suggestions were:
  • If you need directions in folding your square, you shouldn't be wearing it. Wear a TV or a puff, everything else is unnecessary
  • If you can't decide on a design or color, don't wear one - it's better to look sharp than to look try-hard
  • For conservative solid squares, you'll be ok with white or cream. For casual go with a "fun" design and mix up the colors.
  • Avoid polka-dot and other overly simple designs. Design shouldn't match anything you're wearing.
  • Don't wear a white pocketsquare with a white shirt. In general, your pocketsquare should differ from the color of your shirt.
That's all I remember. EDIT: Found the site! sheesh I realize that a lot of these rules are extreme, but some of it seems to be decent advice. If anyone knowledgeable can confirm or deny any of these ideas, I would appreciate it.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm totally new to style.

maybe it might help to learn more before you jump into criticizing ... or conversely rephrasing your criticisms as questions with a reference to something you have studied/read. Not trying to be rude ... just saaayin'

Anyway, I read something yesterday about pocket squares, and I can't find it for the life of me. It's general suggestions were:
  • If you need directions in folding your square, don't
  • If you can't decide on a design or color, don't wear one - it's better to look sharp than to look try-hard
  • wear a TV or a puff, everything else is unnecessary
  • For conservative solid squares, you'll be ok with white or cream. For casual go with a "fun" design and mix up the colors.
  • Don't wear a white pocketsquare with a white shirt. In general, your pocketsquare should differ from the color of your shirt.
cloud.gif
cloud.gif

where did you read this?

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is a variation on an outfit from early last week. Same coat, trou, and boots. Shirt's cream, square is white and blue.

very swell thrift store/outlet combo doc
tongue.gif

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
maybe it might help to learn more before you jump into criticizing ... or conversely rephrasing your criticisms as questions with a reference to something you have studied/read. Not trying to be rude ... just saaayin'
where did you read this

Just found the site after searching for twenty minutes. Evidently Foo wrote it. First of all, most of my criticisms I qualify by directly claiming that I'm a novice (you can search my posts if you really want, though I don't advise it). I try to lean towards constructive rather than malicious criticism. I know what you're saying about criticizing, but I think I'd prefer to be wrong, learn, and develop a trust for my taste rather than not exercise it at all and be uncomfortable with my own opinion. What do you think? I do appreciate your opinion. Give me a little while and I'll let you all rip apart my boring pauper fits. I realize that this approach is likely unpopular, but I've met little to no resistance thus far. My general taste seems to be mostly OK. Perhaps I'm not stylishly marsupialed? Why to avoid complex folds
Originally Posted by foo
The truth is that most pocket squares are worn in an obnoxious, obtrusive manner. A square should be a natural, seamless component of your outfit, not a science experiment in your breast pocket.
Why not to wear a white square with white shirt:
Originally Posted by foo
I don’t like how stark and striking the combination is. On its own, a white shirt has less trouble resting quietly in the background of an outfit, as you’d typically want your shirt to do, but adding a white square pulls it back to the foreground. That much white is invariably distracting, creating a lot of contrast without much room for subtlety. In a dinner suit, this is fine since contrast is the name of the game and part of the uniform–although I’d still prefer cream silk over white linen in that instance. In business environments and more casual situations, I’d want my outfit to be more comfortable to look at. Also, the lack of variation in color and texture is a missed opportunity. A pocket square is useful for tying together or accenting the other things you’re wearing. When it matches your shirt, what was previously balanced becomes unbalanced and what was previously unbalanced is made even worse off.
seems like solid advice to me

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is a variation on an outfit from early last week. Same coat, trou, and boots. Shirt's cream, square is white and blue.

cream.jpg

creamboots.jpg

creamcloseup.jpg

If I owned a bowler, I'd have been tempted to wear it in jaunty fashion.

Probably for the best I don't own a bowler.

You are consistently one of my favorite posters. You always have a great SC.

Mike

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A silk pocket square is an affectation. It's ornamentation and nothing more. Once you adopt wearing them, I see no reason to be timid about it. Restraint is good, that's true, but it's true in general.

I disagree with pretty much all of Foo's rules on the matter. Most folks these days will consider a TV fold much less noticeable -- and probably more masculine -- than a silk square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad