• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The classic "Old Man" look is when the fit is no longer current. If you want to look younger focus on the fit. Most of the younger guys on SF that look older usually have loose pants, too long an inseam, loose jackets, etc. Older guys who look younger typically nail the current fit and infuse their look with new fashion elements such as an updated color on the socks, PS, tie.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I bought a brown bowler on Saturday and upon wearing it out of the store got four compliments from random individuals on it on the way back to the apartment.

I think I have crossed some line... not sure which one... please let me know if I am an old man or a young buck.

PS I also bought brown/mustard spectator shoes, a cummerbund and two ties from the early 1970s..

I guess you are just wearing something you like, and you wearing it well. The best category to be in.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The classic "Old Man" look is when the fit is no longer current. If you want to look younger focus on the fit. Most of the younger guys on SF that look older usually have loose pants, too long an inseam, loose jackets, etc. Older guys who look younger typically nail the current fit and infuse their look with new fashion elements such as an updated color on the socks, PS, tie.

Please enter this information in the spreadsheet.

Thanks.

- B

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
Golly!
for a fashionable sportscoat I have the following cell input:
laple width -1"
coat length -3"
waist suppression 'maximum'
pick stitching 'on'
contrast stitching 'on'

This should turn out great!

OP just go try some slimmer cuts, see how you like it. Remember that fashion is often at odds with practicality and comfort.....

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
What does that have to do with what I said?? It's like you are trying to teach me about style?? I was simply telling this poor confused soul to go to a site that explains to a "T" how a young guy can dress stylish and not look old! Everyone else was saying 'do this,' 'do that!' How can anyone (who seems to be clueless) gain any insight from a bunch of different people telling him/her a bunch of different things? Obviously there is not a right or wrong answer, there are always just opinions. There are no facts when it comes to style. I have seen people wear things that I would normally disapprove of yet they pulled it off wonderfully. Style, really, is all about attitude and having the confidence to be comfortable and secure in what you are wearing.

It has to do with what you said because, in my opinion, you are ignoring an important distinction between style rules, which should be followed at least to an extent, and style opinions, which as you have noted are often conflicting and shouldn't be relied on. To tell the OP to "ignore everyone," or to follow a style blog to the T, are two extremes, but to actually achieve a personal style, I think you need to fall somewhere inthe middle. You do that by picking out the rules from the opinions and advice.

Maybe you'll say that there are no rules, but I simply don't think that's true.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
I guess you are just wearing something you like, and you wearing it well. The best category to be in.

Which is a good thing, but let me derail this threak into talking exclusively about me.
bigstar[1].gif
Vox if there currently is a line in that spreadsheet for logging my daily bowel movements, let me know. Otherwise in keeping with the derailed nature of this now personal vanity threak, I will post them here.

devil.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ You have daily bowel movements?

impressive.

I only have them every two weeks, or if I hear the voice of Sarah Palin, whichever comes first.

- B

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
^^ You have daily bowel movements?

impressive.

I only have them every two weeks, or if I hear the voice of Sarah Palin, whichever comes first.

- B

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. Please keep it up.
worship.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I hope the doctors can devise a way to give you some control over the latter.

During the heyday of the Tina Fey parody, I had to wear an adult diaper.

True story.

- B

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
laugh.gif
This has become the first thread I check every day.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member