• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying shoes in Montreal (and to a greater extent, Canada)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition out west we have...

Gravity Pope (ship canada wide)
- Grenson (Rose)
- Church's
- Varvatos
- Paul Smith

Oconner's (Calgary)
Alden
Alfred Sgt
Canali
Allen Edmonds

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
If you go early in the morning on a Sunday (IIRC they open at 9 on Sundays) there will be 4 guys sitting around and not doing much.

laugh.gif
QFT.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
In addition out west we have...

Gravity Pope (ship canada wide)
- Grenson (Rose)
- Church's
- Varvatos
- Paul Smith

Oconner's (Calgary)
Alden
Alfred Sgt
Canali
Allen Edmonds

This is the first time I hear a Canadian store with Alden. Which model/models do they carry? Cordovans?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L'Uomo in Montreal carries both Edward Green and John Lobb.

I was there in June during the Jazzfest. Most of EGs were standard stock and should not be too hard to buy on SF, ebay, etc. at considerable saving. When I was at L'Uomo, I was wearing some EGs (below) that they were selling for $1200 or $1300. I paid $500 in 08 and some can still be found today selling for $500 or less.

IMG_1973.jpg
[/IMG]

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
Great list, Man of Lint... maybe add Harry Young Shoes to the list? I have only been there once, but I've seen AE's in the window...

Harry Young
www.harryyoungshoes.ca

67 Front Street East at Church
Phone: 416-363-2015

1421 Yonge Street
(just south of St.Clair)
Phone: 416-924-4431

The St.Clair store is moving to the Front street one this Nov/Dec I believe.

Is there anywhere I can get AE Strands for a decent price? I know my size already but just don't want to get merked on the prices in TO.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a menswear store out my neck of the woods called Garvey's here in Oakville and they are AE dealers. I looked up what they were charging to bring up a pair of brown burnished calf McNeils and it was $395 Cdn.

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Then Harry Young would be better as they can get order the Strand for $375 for me but the tax would still make it >$400.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And don't be confused by L'Equipe by L'Uomo which is next door and is not as nice. Has nothing to do with L'Uomo, strangely
I'm pretty sure I did that twice! I walked in, looked around, and saw some nice stuff but didn't see the shoes... then walked out, looked next door, and they were already closed!

In Toronto, there might be some shoes here and there at a few Yorkville boutiques: Via Cavour (Zileri shoes? Trini?), Nicholas, and Salvati. Not sure though.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
In Toronto, there might be some shoes here and there at a few Yorkville boutiques: Via Cavour (Zileri shoes? Trini?), Nicholas, and Salvati. Not sure though.

Via Cavour carries Pal Zileri and Santonis I believe while V carries Kiton IIRC and some other very Italian-styled shoes.

Has anyone taken a drive down to Buffalo and hit up O'Connells? They carry Aldens...

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah! I was gone one day and this thread is filled with great stuff! Thanks to everyone who contributed. StyleForum is good stuff, even when it's blighted by the occasional cat fight in the WAYWRN thread.

I'm interested in knowing how some of you guys who order from the UK sites figured out your size. I'm between a 9-9 1/2 US so I'm guessing that translates to an 8 UK. I imagine sizes vary somewhat from one brand to the next though and I wouldnt want to order a pair of $300 shoes from overseas just to find that they don't fit.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Woah! I was gone one day and this thread is filled with great stuff! Thanks to everyone who contributed. StyleForum is good stuff, even when it's blighted by the occasional cat fight in the WAYWRN thread.

I'm interested in knowing how some of you guys who order from the UK sites figured out your size. I'm between a 9-9 1/2 US so I'm guessing that translates to an 8 UK. I imagine sizes vary somewhat from one brand to the next though and I wouldnt want to order a pair of $300 shoes from overseas just to find that they don't fit.

The reason you vary between a 9 and 9.5 is because shoemakers screw up. You only have 1 size.

Use this guide to get your true size then minus 1 to get your UK size.

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
I'm interested in knowing how some of you guys who order from the UK sites figured out your size.

Order some cheaper Loake stuff to try for size, before ordering the pricier brands.

I'm a 10.5D US, and started out with 9.5UK, but eventually found that 10UK worked much better. Fortunately, I figured that out before ordering G&G stuff.

If you are considering Alfred Sargent, they will make a mock-up for you to try for size (read their FAQ).

- Mike

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
maybe i just have a tricky foot, but I've never ordered something I haven't already fit on. I regularly go to Harry's to fit on AE and then buy online for half the price. But as much as I love English shoes, I just can't bring myself to drop the $ and hope they fit. With a suit, a 20'' chest can only vary so much. with a size "9" shoe, there are just too many areas for it to go wrong IMO.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juvefan
where do people in toronto go for shoe care kits
I get my supplies at Roy's in Manulife centre. That being said, I use Kiwi wax polish which is probably frowned upon here.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy