• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Yeah, like how dumb ass n0obs call ape hangers "monkey bars"..
tounge.gif

I think those handlebars you linked to are made by Paul Yaffe, and are almost like a trademark. In other words, I don't they the term is widely used to refer to that style of handlebars generically, buit specifically to ape hangers made by Paul Yaffe. In other words, Monkey Bars are a subset of ape hangers, but all ape hangers are not monkey bars.. Just sayin'

I believe this might have been the point Ken was trying to make..

Google Images results for "Monkey Bars"

Google Image results for "ape hangers"

Originally Posted by Piobaire
http://monkeybarsusa.com/

/shrug.

I'm fine with them being called both. No one has to be wrong.

Originally Posted by CDFS
If you say you are both right and he says you are wrong, but you are right, then he is wrong, thus you are wrong when you say you're both right, ergo you are both wrong.

Originally Posted by otc
it is a bit disingenuous to compare google results when there is an extremely common piece of playground equipment with one of the names...

Now for my non-bickering contribution to the thread: A coworker informed me that there are completely free classes (with testing) in chicago. It may take longer to get in that the $300+ ones but he said that if you show up, you can take the spot of a no-show (and they count you as a no show even if you are only 1 minute late).

Google images for "Monkey Bars Motorcyle"

Less disingenuous for ya? Point I was making is one term is generic and commonly used, the other, less so, at least pertaining to that style of handlebars..

You'll note that most images on that first page refer to handlebars made by Paul Yaffe, which was the point I was making. Similarly, the link Pio posted was to a company called Monkey Bars that makes, in their own words, "ape hangers". In any case, I am only giving our beloved Pio a bit of a hard time, I could care less if people want to call them monkey bars..
lol8[1].gif

you guys seriously arguing over monkey bars? I've always called them monkey bars and I'm definitely not what you'd call a n00b but then again, I've never been a fan of them at all. Make you look ridiculous and majorly screw up your handling ability (which is what usually keeps you alive in close calls). I don't know about those of you with monkey bars or "ape hangers" but I like being able to get out of close calls without crashing and/or dying.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
4837893410_67ee2bdcd1_b.jpg

Discuss

looks real nice but it looks like its got one of the worst seating ergonomics ever, even worse than my daytona 675. Your wrists/hand palms would probably feel like breaking off after 10 minutes of riding.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
4837893410_67ee2bdcd1_b.jpg

Discuss

Nice looking bikes, but I wouldn't want to put serious miles on those..

Originally Posted by CDFS
Congrats. But what's the difference?[/Harley n00b]

Engine size for one (one is an 883, the other, a 1200), and the 48 has a very different look, seating, tank, profile, tires..

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
looks real nice but it looks like its got one of the worst seating ergonomics ever, even worse than my daytona 675. Your wrists/hand palms would probably feel like breaking off after 10 minutes of riding.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Those bikes look like they'd be horribly uncomfortable to drive.

(sigh) There's a reason why this is a style forum and not a motorcycle forum.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken

Geez, I know, would you believe there was actually some guy trying to tell me my twin carburetors were not carburetors..
lol8[1].gif

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
you're telling me, I can't help but think at least half, if not more of the "riders" here are just posers (buy a nice vintage or "bad boy" bike, ride it to some place public, park it, and commence posing). If I mentioned countersteering, I bet I'd be met with a lot of clueless faces.
Geez, I know, would you believe there was actually some guy trying to tell me my twin carburetors were not carburetors..
lol8[1].gif

what?
facepalm.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Engine size for one (one is an 883, the other, a 1200), and the 48 has a very different look, seating, tank, profile, tires..

Engine size, you say? I guess I rightly called myself a n00b.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMAG0069.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics