• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktails - An Adventure in Modern Gender Roles

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Italian Cut
Do you actually get a gin gimlet in a cocktail glass when you just ask for a "gimlet" though?

Yeah. But the whole "craft cocktail" thing has gotten a bit too trendy around these parts. Yes, it's great to get well-made cocktails, but there now seems to be too much theater around it. I mean, the bartender doesn't need to make a big deal out of selecting just the right ice cube for a rocks drink: sorting through the ice cubes, extracting each in turn to be held up and examined like it's some sort of rare jewel...it's just too much.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Rose's lime juice? Really? I know taste is subjective, but I can't stand that stuff. Too sweet.

In this case, roses is the correct item--hence why Bacon had to include the simple syrup...if it was roses you would do as italian cut did and use just gin and roses (but more gin than roses)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wrong. She didn't say a martini is made of vodka. She called it a vodka martini. Then she mentioned lychee martinis. Those are the names of the drinks.

You just wanted to act like some high and mighty grampa. The only legitimate gripe you would have had was if she called something a "martini" (without an adjective before it) and implied vodka instead of gin.

Sure thing, chief.
rolleyes.gif

Please notice, I did not accuse her of saying a martini is made with vodka (so you got that wrong), it was for the use of the word "martini" in any other context than to denote the gin and vermouth drink.

Is there a drink by the name of "vodka martini"? Sure thing. In fact, these days, if you don't specify gin you might end up with vodka if you just order a "martini." Is it a martini of any persuasion? Not according to some noted experts in the world of mixology, so take it up with them, not this high and mighty gramps. I mean, you can call a hamburger a "chopped steak," but it's obvious some essence of "steak" has been breached. I think these days, "martini" just means something someone poured into a martini glass.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Surprised no one called you on the use of the word "martini." There's another thing that has been so thoroughly bastardized as to be meaningless.

It's true, I'm unfortunately used to be force-fed menus of all kinds of fruity drinks with "FUN" names like "lemon lush martini" or "sexy sensation martini" at any kind of restaurant, that I forget they're really just cocktails.
confused.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Sure thing, chief.
rolleyes.gif
Please notice, I did not accuse her of saying a martini is made with vodka (so you got that wrong), it was for the use of the word "martini" in any other context than to denote the gin and vermouth drink. Is there a drink by the name of "vodka martini"? Sure thing. In fact, these days, if you don't specify gin you might end up with vodka if you just order a "martini." Is it a martini of any persuasion? Not according to some noted experts in the world of mixology, so take it up with them, not this high and mighty gramps. I mean, you can call a hamburger a "chopped steak," but it's obvious some essence of "steak" has been breached. I think these days, "martini" just means something someone poured into a martini glass.

Let's not ******* kid ourselves, ok? It's drinking, not rocket science.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Wait until you taste my appleroofietini.

laugh.gif

...this whole brouhaha is why I more or less stick to beer. Nothing more manly than a good Weissbier with a big orange slice on the glass.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
laugh.gif

...this whole brouhaha is why I more or less stick to beer. Nothing more manly than a good Weissbier with a big orange slice on the glass.

I wish, but the beer snobs (beeries?) have ruined beer-drinking as well. I don't care if you can taste a hoppy undertone of squirrel testicles in your pale ale. Just drink your goddamn beer.

What is the world coming to...I yearn for the days when finer sensibilities were for women only.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I wish, but the beer snobs (beeries?) have ruined beer-drinking as well. I don't care if you can taste a hoppy undertone of squirrel testicles in your pale ale. Just drink your goddamn beer.

What is the world coming to...I yearn for the days when finer sensibilities were for women only.

Sounds like the big city is the wrong place for you. Go to my hometown. They will serve you your beer and jack daniels shots. Ask for any beer that sells less than 10 million cases a year, or a scotch other than Dewar's, and you'll be called a ****** and told that "we'on't like yer kind 'round hur." Your heaven.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong. She didn't say a martini is made of vodka. She called it a vodka martini. Then she mentioned lychee martinis. Those are the names of the drinks.

You just wanted to act like some high and mighty grampa. The only legitimate gripe you would have had was if she called something a "martini" (without an adjective before it) and implied vodka instead of gin.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you hate drink snobbery, and just assume that you White Knighted me here. Awww.
inlove.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
I'm going to ignore the fact that you hate drink snobbery, and just assume that you White Knighted me here. Awww.
inlove.gif

I like you. If I could only believe you were real.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sounds like the big city is the wrong place for you. Go to my hometown. They will serve you your beer and jack daniels shots. Ask for any beer that sells less than 10 million cases a year, or a scotch other than Dewar's, and you'll be called a ****** and told that "we'on't like yer kind 'round hur." Your heaven.

Hahahah this is amazing. Of course they would also say that for my affection for slim-fit clothing, so I wouldn't even make it to the bar before having ****** kicked.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like you. If I could only believe you were real.

Would it even bother you if I actually did have a peen? Kyle doesn't seem to mind.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This threak makes me want a drink, preferably one whose name is not a point of contention and whose color is brown. I would also like to avoid any beverage that tastes like candy.

Bourbon + H2O = Great Success

If there's no bourbon, I'm also open to Irish and/or Tennessee Whiskey.

On second thought, perhaps I would like to jazz it up a little. After all, it's a billion degrees here. Let's go ahead and add a bit of ice. No need to inspect the ice, either, please just place a bit of it in the glass before you pour.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Would it even bother you if I actually did have a peen? Kyle doesn't seem to mind.

It would just creep me out, that's all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt