• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the only time I draw comment from women on my shoes is if I'm wearing spectators or white bucks. Otherwise they pass ignored. Maybe that's because they are mostly A-Es. Maybe if I had EGs or JLPs I'd get more favorable comments. Kinda doubt it, though.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
About the only time I draw comment from women on my shoes is if I'm wearing spectators or white bucks. Otherwise they pass ignored. Maybe that's because they are mostly A-Es. Maybe if I had EGs or JLPs I'd get more favorable comments. Kinda doubt it, though.

Yup. No one really cares about dressing nice. I've long admitted to myself that I do it only as a hobby, to add extra meaning to my life, extra bit of fun and something to care about. Otherwise, nobody gives a damn, even if you draw compliments.

Oh, and classical music > rap.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Yup. No one really cares about dressing nice. I've long admitted to myself that I do it only as a hobby, to add extra meaning to my life, extra bit of fun and something to care about. Otherwise, nobody gives a damn, even if you draw compliments.

Oh, and classical music > rap.
musicboohoo[1].gif

So wrong on both counts. Lots of people care about dressing nicely, you just haven't met them yet.

And no one gets to make blanket statements about genres until they are exhaustively familiar with both genres. Especially with classical music, I don't listen to people's opinions on a given composer unless they have experience with composition themselves... it's easy to write big swells of strings and make people feel swept away, it's much harder to do it in an interesting way a la Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei. It's easy to talk **** on rap until you've spent time in the actual scene, gone to battles (or been in one yourself), and experienced the genre from multiple angles.

I should stop getting so worked up about music, but people should also stop saying stupid ****.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go out. Meet some girls. If you're lucky they'll bite.

Women notice everything. The question is do they care?

Shoes are one of those things that send out messages. Clean well cared for tends to send the message of not being a leach.

Dirty ruff boots sends the rough message. Bad boy.

Crappy shoes send the message you don't care. Never a good thing.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Shoes are one of those things that send out messages. Clean well cared for tends to send the message of not being a leach.....
Yes and interestingly it's the opposite for women.
teacha.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think that my shoes are one of my dress items that women tend to comment most. More than once I have received compliments on my shoes, and with the added comment that most guys wear horrible shoes.
A female colleague of mine also mentioned that the CEO at the company we worked for, always wore nice suits but horribly ugly and, sometimes, dirty loafers.

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
I went up to my wife's office Tuesday night before we went to a fundraiser, and one of her female colleagues that I was introduced to said, "It's nice to meet you. I really like your shoes; I noticed them from across the room." I replied, "Nice to meet you, too. Are my shoes really that bright?" (I was wearing AE Strands in walnut with a light grey pinstripe suit.)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
They pay more attention to my neckwear than my shoes.

I'm not sure what you mean?
flava-flav.0.jpg

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys who say women don't look at their shoes usually have shoes that aren't worth a look.

Racing Green

Reaction score
In my experience women definitely notice and compliment shoes, whether they judge you on your footwear I can't say.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They only look at shoes to check your foot size in order to gauge the dimensions of another part of your body.

Fact of Life. You could wear a size 6E Edward Green but she will always go for the man with a size 14EEE Allen Edmonds.

Hans

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the number of comments you receive is a good indicator of how much women care. I mean, how often do you comment on the shoes women wear? I always notice -- together with the handbag, shoes are the surest indicator of class -- but I don't always comment on them because that is usually not appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ankit_10