• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while but now it makes more sense:

Fit is subjective. Yes, duh. But fit is objectively subject, in a way. Because really, height matters. A 6"3 person looking down at a 5"9 person with "skinny" jeans (say normal-SF slimness) will think the jeans are skin tight because they're looking at a downward angle that distorts the shorter person's distortions. But say a person of the same height, or a girl who is shorter, wouldn't have that same distortion since they are at/below eye level so what might jump out more is how slim the jeans are in proportion to the rest of the body so in their mind it's more of a normal height person with proportionally long slim legs.

And obviously your frame of reference is your own height and looking into a mirror.

Anyways, what I might have said is probably just a big "DUH" especially, I'd imagine, to photographers (angle of camera, height of camera, etc).

But if anything I think it says that taking WAYWT pictures at least helps you get a sense of your own fit from an objective point of view, at least one other than your own.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
But if anything I think it says that taking WAYWT pictures at least helps you get a sense of your own fit from an objective point of view, at least one other than your own.
A tiltable full-length mirror works too.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
I just wish there were more stockist that carried Butteros.
There are plenty......... in Japan

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
A tiltable full-length mirror works too.
Unless I do not understand how a tiltable full length mirror works, you'll still be looking at your reflection from your own view point (as in literally, your own eye level height). A distant shot with a camera at mid-level I would assume is most objective because it would replicate how someone sees you on the street, just randomly walking around, at distance far enough away for them to see the entirely of proportions.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Unless I do not understand how a tiltable full length mirror works, you'll still be looking at your reflection from your own view point (as in literally, your own eye level height).
If you tilt the mirror so that the top is farther from you than the bottom, you won't. The more you angle it away, the lower your line of sight drops from eye level. Shoe stores often have mirrors set up way this so you can judge how shoes look on you from a more natural (i.e. others') perspective.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the post office delivered today or at least was open so I could go pick my package up..

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I am ******* loving my Dad's old denim jacket that I found while home for the holidays. (fit pic) It's vintage and very light-colored, which is a good contrast to all of the very dark denim i currently own (thereby avoiding the texas tux look) The best part is that, in the process of trying to figure out what to wear with it besides a T-Shirt (it's still January in CT, after all), I've solved a few puzzles I was having. For one, it's given me something to wear with my hoodies that doesn't look too thug-ish (as opposed to a hoodie under a leather jacket) or too contrived (hoodie under a blazer). It also works in the way i'm trying to pull off a v-neck/collared shirt--I like the look but I don't want to come off as too preppy. (not my personality IMO) The denim jacket works in that makes it look much more dressed-down in a way simply wearing it with jeans and chucks doesn't. Can't wear it with straight B/Ds though--the two sets of buttons looks kind of weird.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
If you tilt the mirror so that the top is farther from you than the bottom, you won't. The more you angle it away, the lower your line of sight drops from eye level. Shoe stores often have mirrors set up way this so you can judge how shoes look on you from a more natural (i.e. others') perspective.

Ahh, makes sense now.

My mirror is quite cheap so any attempts to lean it will bend the mirror and distort images BADLY.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bring it up unless I had some personal experience that caused me to think about it. In this case, yes, I am 5"9 while literally 5-7 people on my floor from last year were 6"3, and we all hung out (everyone else ranged from taller than me to slightly shorter than 6"3). Throw in a couple girls who are 5"2 and such and I don't think the numbers I throw out in my example are extreme.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having to wear trousers and a tie five days a week for the first time in more than two years is making me realize how sub-par that area of my wardrobe is. I was apparently under the impression when I bought these items that square-toed shoes and baggier pants = a good look.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Having to wear trousers and a tie five days a week for the first time in more than two years is making me realize how sub-par that area of my wardrobe is. I was apparently under the impression when I bought these items that square-toed shoes and baggier pants = a good look.

It will come back. Baggy pants are already making their way into Middle Earth.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
It will come back. Baggy pants are already making their way into Middle Earth.

sure everything comes back around in style, but as has been pointed out before, baggy never left. Baggy has ruled mainstream "style" for almost 30 years.

I don't know why the fashion industry is in such a hurry to end our brief detour into clothing that fits better. Maybe it is because baggy clothing is a mass market with bigger margins, whereas only a tiny percentage of people want clothing that fits properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kube38