• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champagne

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I enjoyed each and every one of the wines for one reason or another. The NV estate was a great value, the L'Ermitage had awesome acidity and bright fruits, and then the Champagnes were all excellent. Public baller image aside, Cristal really is an absolutely incredible bottle.

Cristal is a seriously good bottle of wine, but the the thing with all of those prestige tete de cuvees is that they are made in absolutely MASSIVE quantities. i can see paying huge money for a single-vineyard burgundy when there were like 350 cases made. but when they're making THAT much (and it's NV to boot), it just seems wrong.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2002 was a really fabulous vintage. I wouldnt call it a steal at 180-200 a bottle, but you can do worse.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
if you ever get the chance, do try the JScram bottling from schramsberg, even spendier, but probably the most Champagne-like sparkling wine i've had out of the US>

Hmm, why not spend less $$$ on the real thing?
smile.gif

Actually, I've been trying to find a good blanc de noirs that's just pinot noir --- the ones I like keep getting unstocked at the local places, and I'm too lazy to mail order. The last ones I had and liked was A.Soutiran and Selosse (I think --- it was one of the cult Champagnes).

--Andre

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Hmm, why not spend less $$$ on the real thing?
smile.gif

Actually, I've been trying to find a good blanc de noirs that's just pinot noir --- the ones I like keep getting unstocked at the local places, and I'm too lazy to mail order. The last ones I had and liked was A.Soutiran and Selosse (I think --- it was one of the cult Champagnes).

i thought we'd gotten past the idea that there was only one "real thing". what's delicious is delicious, no matter where it's grown. personalities may vary, but quality doesn't necessarily follow.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I still think there is only one real "Champagne". I don't call California Pinot Noir "Burgundy", and in Burgundy they don't call their chardonnay or pinot noire based sparking wine "Champagne". Also, sparkling wine outside of Champagne isn't held to the same restrictions (much more lax bottle atmospheric pressure requirements, etc.)

I don't, however, discount sparkling wine from any other region simply because it's not from Champagne.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think there is only one real "Champagne". I don't call California Pinot Noir "Burgundy", and in Burgundy they don't call their chardonnay or pinot noire based sparking wine "Champagne". Also, sparkling wine outside of Champagne isn't held to the same restrictions (much more lax bottle atmospheric pressure requirements, etc.)

I don't, however, discount sparkling wine from any other region simply because it's not from Champagne.

my point exactly, which is why i referred to them as sparkling wines.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ah, true, I wasn't really paying much attention beyond the one post

it happens all the time for sparkling wines, people call it Champagne as long as it has bubbles. Which means they're not drinking enough sparkling wine, and this makes me sad.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought we'd gotten past the idea that there was only one "real thing". what's delicious is delicious, no matter where it's grown. personalities may vary, but quality doesn't necessarily follow.

You may have misunderstood me. You had suggested an expensive sparkler because it's most like a Champagne. The logical question to ask is why not pay less and get the actual thing rather than an expensive, imperfect copy of it?

I'm not saying whether it's better or worse, just that if you want the original product, and it's cheaper to get the original product, why not just get the original product?

--Andre

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
You may have misunderstood me. You had suggested an expensive sparkler because it's most like a Champagne. The logical question to ask is why not pay less and get the actual thing rather than an expensive, imperfect copy of it?

I'm not saying whether it's better or worse, just that if you want the original product, and it's cheaper to get the original product, why not just get the original product?

--Andre

simply for discussion purposes, some potential reasons:
1. It's actually "better" than many true Champagnes at that price
2. It's different from a Champagne, but this style is preferred by somebody

the problem is, I'd never buy a $75 Cali sparkling wine while browsing through a wine store.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
simply for discussion purposes, some potential reasons:
1. It's actually "better" than many true Champagnes at that price
2. It's different from a Champagne, but this style is preferred by somebody

the problem is, I'd never buy a $75 Cali sparkling wine while browsing through a wine store.

Those are good reasons, but foodguy said J Schram is "probably the most Champagne-like sparkling wine i've had out of the US." So it seems to me that he was specifically seeking a Champagne experience.

I couldn't bear to pay $75 for a CA sparkling wine either, which is the only reason I haven't tasted the L'Ermitage Rose.

--Andre

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Those are good reasons, but foodguy said J Schram is "probably the most Champagne-like sparkling wine i've had out of the US." So it seems to me that he was specifically seeking a Champagne experience.

I couldn't bear to pay $75 for a CA sparkling wine either, which is the only reason I haven't tasted the L'Ermitage Rose.

--Andre

being the "most champagne-like" doesn't necessarily mean a champagne imitator or ersatz champagne. what i was talking about with the j schram is that it is made in a very champagne style (meaning, in this case, British champagne style ... rich, toasty, yeasty). but it still has a fullness and freshness of fruit that in my experience you very rarely find in Champagne.
That said, i would rarely spend $75 on a California sparkler either. But after having tasted these two examples, on certain occasions, I would pay that much for them.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Those are good reasons, but foodguy said J Schram is "probably the most Champagne-like sparkling wine i've had out of the US." So it seems to me that he was specifically seeking a Champagne experience. I couldn't bear to pay $75 for a CA sparkling wine either, which is the only reason I haven't tasted the L'Ermitage Rose. --Andre
I would highly recommend to spend $39.99 for Roederer L'Hermitage 2002 . It is Cali sparkling wine and it tastes like the best French vintage at 3 times the price. Taking in account L'Hermitage taste it is an unbelievable bargain.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cristal is a seriously good bottle of wine, but the the thing with all of those prestige tete de cuvees is that they are made in absolutely MASSIVE quantities. i can see paying huge money for a single-vineyard burgundy when there were like 350 cases made. but when they're making THAT much (and it's NV to boot), it just seems wrong.
Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote, but I have only seen vintage tete de cuvees. Are you saying there is NV Cristal or other prestige cuvees?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ack. brainfart. that's what i get for not fact-checking my posts. massive quantities, yes, NV, no.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
being the "most champagne-like" doesn't necessarily mean a champagne imitator or ersatz champagne. what i was talking about with the j schram is that it is made in a very champagne style (meaning, in this case, British champagne style ... rich, toasty, yeasty). but it still has a fullness and freshness of fruit that in my experience you very rarely find in Champagne.

Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I would highly recommend to spend $39.99 for Roederer L'Hermitage 2002 . It is Cali sparkling wine and it tastes like the best French vintage at 3 times the price.
Taking in account L'Hermitage taste it is an unbelievable bargain.

I've had that, and it's good. I was just at the grocery store, and saw the L'Ermitage Rose for $54, 1999 vintage.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member