• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour de France 2009 Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the thing that Lance has going for him is a few body quirks that work in his favor. His heart is 33% larger than the average male his size (this is a stunning advantage in cycling), and I believe his muscles release lactic acid at a later stage than many others (though I forget the details about this).

Furthermore, its not like he was an "all of a sudden" cyclist. He was a world cham at an extremely young age before being struck with cancer, great TdF finishes were bound to happen anyways.

Never the less, I do have my suspicions, but I will assume innocent until proven guilty.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Keep in mind he's been tested more than a dozen times since he returned to cycling
Indeed. As I said, there is no evidence, only suspicions: the 1999 affair, the alleged confession to medical staff. Flimsy at best. But other people have been tested all their carreers, never caught, and yet admitted they had doped afterwards. Even Ullrich, IIRC, was only caught thanks to a police inquiry, not through testing.
Originally Posted by Merckx
Riis admitted to doping through the years 93-98, including his 96 TdF victory.
Precisely. He admitted after the fact, he never got caught. More recently, Fignon, the last French winner of TdF, also admitted he had doped for his two TdF victories.
Originally Posted by gomestar
Furthermore, its not like he was an "all of a sudden" cyclist. He was a world cham at an extremely young age before being struck with cancer, great TdF finishes were bound to happen anyways.
This was not meant as a jab at Lance. I am more or less convinced he has doped, but then again I am more or les convinced they all do. So, in the end, he still won in a level playing field of all-doped champions.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
Cadel's race is over for another year. Dammit, can't help but feel he will never get a Tour now. Astana were ridiculous in the TTT, hopefully some drama can be created between Contador and Lance but either way i don't see a non Astana member winning unless Cadel or Sastre pull some insane mountain stage bullshit.

It's early days yet - the mountains could change things big time - whilst neither Evan's (or Menchov's) start has been good they could still catch up. Schleck or Castre could breaktrough yet... I wouldn't be surprised to see an all Astana podium though - Leipheimer could be up there.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Étienne;2236772 said:
Indeed. As I said, there is no evidence, only suspicions: the 1999 affair, the alleged confession to medical staff. Flimsy at best.
QUOTE]

Not only flimsy at best, but the medical staff claimed to have no records of any admission. Supposedly, a friend was with lace in the doctor's room when he said "I take X" after the doctor asked what medicines he was taking. When this came to surface a while ago, the doctor looked through the records and said this was impossible as he would have absolutely written a major medical detail like that down.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I wouldn't be surprised to see an all Astana podium though - Leipheimer could be up there.
Right now that is what looks most likely to me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd love to see Leipheimer up there.

Its so early to call victory anything, the mountains can (and do) tear up the standings hill by hill.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Indeed. As I said, there is no evidence, only suspicions: the 1999 affair, the alleged confession to medical staff. Flimsy at best. But other people have been tested all their carreers, never caught, and yet admitted they had doped afterwards. Even Ullrich, IIRC, was only caught thanks to a police inquiry, not through testing.

Precisely. He admitted after the fact, he never got caught. More recently, Fignon, the last French winner of TdF, also admitted he had doped for his two TdF victories.

This was not meant as a jab at Lance. I am more or less convinced he has doped, but then again I am more or les convinced they all do. So, in the end, he still won in a level playing field of all-doped champions.

I'm not going to get deeply into this, but please keep in mind, the testing had not caught up to the substances being used, until after Y2K. So to site the fact that people were using in the 1990s and not getting caught as any evidence that people are currently using and not getting caught, is someone specious. The substances haven't changed since then, but the testing certainly has.

I also find it hard to believe that Lance has not/is not using a banned substance, but I'm going to trust the science of testing at thist time, and give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. And let's face it, if there's anyone the French cycling authorities want to suss out, it's Lance.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a few angry sprinters in the teams today. Voeckler could surely have been reeled in by the big teams?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thing that Lance has going for him is a few body quirks that work in his favor. His heart is 33% larger than the average male his size (this is a stunning advantage in cycling), and I believe his muscles release lactic acid at a later stage than many others (though I forget the details about this).

Can you post a link to this. I've heard a lot of people throw this around and I've never seen the basis for it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Can you post a link to this. I've heard a lot of people throw this around and I've never seen the basis for it.
it was a documentary on the Discovery Channel a few years ago, probably around the time they first started to sponsor the team. I might dig around a little, I'm interested in some of the facts too. edit: first thing that came up on a google search, see here

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it was a documentary on the Discovery Channel a few years ago, probably around the time they first started to sponsor the team. I might dig around a little, I'm interested in some of the facts too.

edit: first thing that came up on a google search, see here

Speaking of physical quirks, Miguel Indurain had a phenomenal physique, too.
His resting heart rate was under 30 beats per minute, and he had an astonishingly quick recovery time, too - his heart rate would revert to its resting rate far more quickly than most others. His lung capacity was enormous and his heart could pump almost 50% more blood around his body than a normal person's would in the same time. An amazing person - very humble in real life - and a great cyclist. It would have been great to see what would have happened if he and Armstrong had been at the peak of their powers at the same time.

My favourite memory of the TdF was one of the first that I watched - perhaps in 1992. Big Mig was riding in a time trial stage around Luxembourg, and a camera crew were following him in a little VW. The driver was talking rapidly in French whilst the cameraman focussed on Indurain powering along a fairly flat section (perhaps with a slightly downhill gradient, but so slight it wasn't visible on the telecast). The camera then panned down to the car's speedometer and I understood why the driver was so excited - the speedo was pointing to 80km/hr (50mph) and Indurain barely seemed to be breaking a sweat, just reeling in the kilometres one after another.

I hope that Lance wins this one, for old time's sake, but as an Australian I'm barracking for Cadel Evans to stage a comeback and go one better than his previous, second placing.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So to site the fact that people were using in the 1990s and not getting caught as any evidence that people are currently using and not getting caught, is someone specious.
Then you just have to move to more recent examples. For example, Ullrich aced all his testings in 2003-2006, yet we know (thanks to a police inquiry, not testing) that he was doping.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Then you just have to move to more recent examples. For example, Ullrich aced all his testings in 2003-2006, yet we know (thanks to a police inquiry, not testing) that he was doping.

I'm not familiar with the details here. And really, I don't want to be. The sport is obviously dirty, and it makes sense Lance is using. However, he's such a target, and we both know many French would love to topple him, I think if he was bustable, he'd have been busted. He's not stupid, so I just can't imagine him coming into this Tour dirty.

Time will tell.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm not familiar with the details here. And really, I don't want to be. The sport is obviously dirty, and it makes sense Lance is using. However, he's such a target, and we both know many French would love to topple him, I think if he was bustable, he'd have been busted. He's not stupid, so I just can't imagine him coming into this Tour dirty.

Time will tell.

yeah that's the thing, the French and WADA people like Dick Pound (hint: don't google that) are just salivating to bust him. If there was anything odd about any of his tests, and I mean anything, they'd be all over it. Floyd Landis just made the whole situation worse, but seriously WTF was he thinking???

4Mica

Reaction score
More recently, Fignon, the last French winner of TdF, also admitted he had doped for his two TdF victories.

Hinault was the last French winner in '85. Fignon won in '82 and '83. What did Fignon admit to taking back then?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffee_and_vodka