1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tour de France 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Probably see another Mark Cavendish win tomorrow if his legs have help up the past few days.

I was glad to see him make it over the Pyrennes. Bastille Day! I wonder if any French riders will make an impact today. I can remember when Laurent Jalabert had a few memorable stage wins on this historic day.

2. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Blech, so so stage today, looked like a protest ride though riders were denying it. Great finish though, Cavendish had a great lead out to beat Thor.

3. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

It looked scripted - break goes off for a long time, caught in the final 2 km, sprint finish. The course sucked for the sprint ending though.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Blech, so so stage today, looked like a protest ride though riders were denying it. Great finish though, Cavendish had a great lead out to beat Thor.

Thor just couldn't hang. Loved seeing Hincappie lead the pack and pull really hard for Cavendish in the last 1000 meters.

5. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Thor just couldn't hang. Loved seeing Hincappie lead the pack and pull really hard for Cavendish in the last 1000 meters.

That was good, wasn't it? Hincapie is one of my favorite riders. I prefer the Spring Classics as opposed to the grand tours and I've always felt he's had bad luck in some of the bigger races. I would love to see him win the Ronde or Paris-Roubaix.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That was good, wasn't it? Hincapie is one of my favorite riders. I prefer the Spring Classics as opposed to the grand tours and I've always felt he's had bad luck in some of the bigger races. I would love to see him win the Ronde or Paris-Roubaix.

Much respect for George. How many Tours does this make for him now? A dozen or so I'm thinking. And yeah, always felt bad Hincapie could not get the US Postal to support him in a Paris-Roubaix, as he's a helluva one day classic rider.

7. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Much respect for George. How many Tours does this make for him now? A dozen or so I'm thinking. And yeah, always felt bad Hincapie could not get the US Postal to support him in a Paris-Roubaix, as he's a helluva one day classic rider.
    Paris-Roubiax 2006 was a tough one for him. He was in the winning break with two teammates and his steering tube cracked 28 miles from the finish. He was sitting in a perfect position and he crashes out. I've always felt bad for him over that one, I hope he still has some good years left where he might be fortunate to be in a similar circumstance again.

8. visionology

visionology Senior member

These flat coasting stages are a bit lame. Same old formula, break away of unknowns, peloton led by the top teams to keep the pace down and just make sure the breakaway doesn't get too large.

Can't wait for the mountains back again.

Things seem much more controlled and robotic nowadays.

9. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Things seem much more controlled and robotic nowadays.
    Well that's what they are banning radio transmitters for.

10. visionology

visionology Senior member

But that didn't work. They only implemented it for 2 stages and in the one stage so far the riders protested by riding at a pace my mother could keep up with.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I said it before, I'll say it again Cavendish=Beast.

12. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Tyler Farrar is racing real well, he's just missing out.

13. dcg

dcg Senior member

What seems to be lost (or at least glossed over) in all the Armstrong/Contador talk is that Leipheimer is still sitting there right behind them both in 4th place. What are the expectations for Levi?

14. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

What seems to be lost (or at least glossed over) in all the Armstrong/Contador talk is that Leipheimer is still sitting there right behind them both in 4th place. What are the expectations for Levi?
    Levi is a great rider but he doesn't seem to have the force of will of Contador or Lance (IMO). Of course anything can happen so he is in a good position if those in front of him falter or have bad luck.

15. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

It'll be interesting to see how levi does in stage 18 , individual TT. Out of the 3 lance, contador, and levi i def think levi is the favorite. Really looking forward to that one if everything else remains the same, time-wise, after the alps.

edinatlanta- totally agree, you can basically count any flat stage with a good sprint finish as a win for Cav.

16. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Levi time trials well and climbs well, it's not out of the realm that AC could have a bad day. He cracked at Paris-Nice earlier this year. I see they rescinded the 15 second penalty they assessed to his overall time yesterday.

17. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

It'll be interesting to see how levi does in stage 18 , individual TT. Out of the 3 lance, contador, and levi i def think levi is the favorite. Really looking forward to that one if everything else remains the same, time-wise, after the alps.

edinatlanta- totally agree, you can basically count any flat stage with a good sprint finish as a win for Cav.

But what are the odds of that happening? If Lance or Contador attack Levi has to play a defensive role and is going to lose time. Also, things almost never stay the same in the mountains.

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Word. Next level shit.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Man, I wish the Lion King were in his prime still. Him vs. Cavendish would be epic.

Did you know he holds several records? Most Giro stages wins, most consecutive Tour wins, and led the peloton in the Tour's fastest recorded stage?

20. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

While Cavendish is a phenomenal talent, he is benefitted from having a very good lead out team. Farrar is having to mainly rely on Dean.

Cipo revolutionized the sprint train for a lead out and Petacchi used this to great benefit as well. It's fascinating to watch when implemented to perfection.