• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour de France 2009 Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
yeah that's the thing, the French and WADA people like Dick Pound (hint: don't google that) are just salivating to bust him. If there was anything odd about any of his tests, and I mean anything, they'd be all over it. Floyd Landis just made the whole situation worse, but seriously WTF was he thinking???

Dick Pound's been out of WADA for over a year now and knowing him personally, there aren't too many people disinterested in catching anyone in particular. More importantly (actually less importantly because WADA doesn't perform individual tests but I digress) is that WADA is completely neutral in targeting athletes in that matter.

What WADA and Pound both disliked was UCI and for good reason.

I've said too much.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
we both know many French would love to topple him
He's actually become really popular here, whereas he was hated in the last few years of his carreer (don't remember how people viewed him in his early years). Go figure. Our president is a big fan.
Originally Posted by 4Mica
What did Fignon admit to taking back then?
I don't know the details, I think he wrote about it in an autobiography. It resurfaced recently because he has just been diagnosed with cancer and urged people not to conclude too hastily that the cancer was doping-related.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Dick Pound's been out of WADA for over a year now and knowing him personally, there aren't too many people disinterested in catching anyone in particular. More importantly (actually less importantly because WADA doesn't perform individual tests but I digress) is that WADA is completely neutral in targeting athletes in that matter.

What WADA and Pound both disliked was UCI and for good reason.

I've said too much.

yeah I've been out of the loop for a year or two now, I remember there being some movement at WADA. I just remember Pound saying something along the lines of "30% of NHL athletes dope" and then nobody tested positive in a big random sweep.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
up to the mountains today, it'll be an extremely tough stage for everybody. We'll see who steps up, this could easily be the most important stage so far.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
10k to go and break away has about 6 minutes on the pack. Usually, that would be uncatchable, but on a mountaintop finish, maybe.

4Mica

Reaction score
The question in my mind is: Was Lance actually playing the good teammate or was Contador just stronger than him today?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, that Frenchman who won the stage today looked solid as hell. Kudos.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
perahps just a well executed break for Contador. Granted, I didn't watch the stage, but often times breaks like that are eaten up by the peloton.

marin

Reaction score
Good stage win for Contador. I sense that Armstrong is waiting. He's playing the good teammate, and if at any point Contador cracks, he'll seize the opening and go for the win.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin
Good stage win for Contador. I sense that Armstrong is waiting. He's playing the good teammate, and if at any point Contador cracks, he'll seize the opening and go for the win.

Contador didn't win the stage. As for waiting, you might be right. Armstrong was 19 seconds up on Contador at the start, so he could afford to give his teammate 21 seconds at the end. The Spaniard was strong, no doubt, but two seconds is nothing.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone think there's going to be a significant attack by one of the GC contenders tomorrow?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question in my mind is: Was Lance actually playing the good teammate or was Contador just stronger than him today?

Also, Lance out of breath during the post race interview - legitimate, or Lance feigning weakness?

Contador certainly looked like the stronger rider at the end of today's stage.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Contador was stronger.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin

I think there is a better possibility of Armstrong going off the back rather than Contador.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads