• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a Filson Original Briefcase OK with non-mountaineering clothes?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, would a tan Filson Original Briefcase look OK with clothes other than the stuff that guys like the Crane's Country Store owner wear? For example, nice dark denim, white chucks, and slim black hoodie...and a tan Filson? I just looked at one yesterday, and it's a nice looking bag for school, and very high quality. My other option would be a more modern black nylon bag such as Tumi, but they seem so generic. Thanks!
fight[1].gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it'll look fine, but you might want to look also at otter green or brown, which is a relatively new color. it might look better with darker clothes.

i have the 257 in otter green and its awesome. buy one.

Pangolin

Reaction score
I use a Filson bag for school and don't dress too far from what you describe. I think it's fine and people actually seem to like the bag.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by octopandda
I use a Filson bag for school and don't dress too far from what you describe. I think it's fine and people actually seem to like the bag.

Thanks. I will also wear brown shorts, a white T-shirt, and brown Rainbow sandals (for example) once it warms up. The bag was just so cool and casual, should have picked it up...too bad they're closed til Tuesday
plain.gif
I'm hoping it'll be a nice change from the cheap black nylon laptop bags everyone carries
tounge.gif

converge

Reaction score
I have a Filson briefcase (256) in tan and use it with pretty much any type of clothes. Here is some dude with the briefcase "dressed up":
2008_1219_2.jpg

converge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
My other option would be a more modern black nylon bag such as Tumi, but they seem so generic. Thanks!
fight[1].gif

They are generic and boring as ****.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by converge
I have a Filson briefcase (256) in tan and use it with pretty much any type of clothes.

Here is the briefcase "dressed up":

I was going pull this photo too. Very versatile.

Tumi would be ok, but not very unique. And the standard corporate-issue Targus...need I say more. If you get a laptop sleeve, you can almost do better with just about any case / tote / bag.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I was going pull this photo too. Very versatile.

Tumi would be ok, but not very unique. And the standard corporate-issue Targus...need I say more. If you get a laptop sleeve, you can almost do better with just about any case / tote / bag.

Yp, Targus...very ubiquitous. I just cancelled my order at Timbuk2, and I'll go pick up the Filson on Tuesday. I don't carry a laptop, just supplies for a long day at school and the odd book and notebooks.

Thanks for the picture to, I saw it in another thread, and that's what sold me on looking for the FIlson!
bounce2.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
may i ask where and how much you are getting it from. if you order from crane's, who is a forum affiliate, there are discounts available.

the 256 is $140ish after discount. they are great guys to order from. you will probably have your bag wednesday if you order today.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
may i ask where and how much you are getting it from. if you order from crane's, who is a forum affiliate, there are discounts available.

the 256 is $140ish after discount. they are great guys to order from. you will probably have your bag wednesday if you order today.

Thanks, it's a local mom-and-pop (literally) place. I'll consider Crane's though, he seems very knowledgeable about Filson.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22

+1, who cares how much the other place is charging, get it from Crane's anyways.

mrbojangles928

Reaction score
I'm wondering if a laptop could fit in the 256 bag, which is smaller than the 257 with the laptop compartment. The latter seems overly big for my purposes, usually I dont carry more than a laptop and a couple of books in my bag, and that bag needs a dire upgrade. If the slimmer 256 can hold a laptop, I will be all over it when I get the cash.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the 257 and it can carry a crap of load stuff. laptop, book for class, notebooks, folders, etc. and i still have extra room.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Thanks, it's a local mom-and-pop (literally) place. I'll consider Crane's though, he seems very knowledgeable about Filson.

I responded to your pm with who you need to contact at the store.

I've got a ton of Filson stuff and have been wearing/using it for about 2 decades now. I'm a very demanding user when it comes to my field wear and so far Filson hasn't let me down. High quality stuff at a far price and it lasts forever no matter what you put it through.

ajacob85

Reaction score
definitely ,
i have the briefcase in otter green, its awesome.
and leather bags are taking a back seat to canvas according to a recent gq article.
im looking for the otter green duffle now as well.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpea17