• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

Smahatma

Reaction score
Yes, better pics please.

If you don't have very good photography equipment or skills, you might try stepping outside. I'm sure after just a short while, the paparazzi will notice you and wonder what Daniel Craig is doing just standing outside. Just ask them to copy one of their pictures onto a flash drive or something.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Ok so here it goes: (writing on my phone so I apologize if its poorly written) the SA had their "top master tailor" dino italian w ponytail come to inspect. He immediately pointed out various problems:
He must be good.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the SA had their "top master tailor" dino italian w ponytail come to inspect. He immediately pointed out various problems:

1) He said the shoulder was actually 1/8 or so too long
2) Back too tight partly causing the pulling in upper sleeve
3) Sleevehead needed to be rotated
4) Strap should be added to vent
5) Another adjustment needed so the vent lay flatter
6) Sides of chest need to be taken in
7) Collar needed to be lowered

I'm extremely interested to see how this turns out, particularly since so many of us thought the problems were different or opposite. But if he's narrowing the shoulders and chest, I think your chances of getting closer to the Tom Ford look are slim to none.

He wanted to construct a basted coat and have me come in for a fitting with that before making further alterations.

Wow. I've never heard of anyone going to that measure to fit a RTW suit. But how are they going to do this? Do they have extra fabric and the RTW pattern lying around the boutique?

They said they will either get it perfect or refund. I will at least see how the basted coat looks.

Well, that's the best news you could get. Good for Tom Ford.

aragon765

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He was far better to work with than previous tailor as he seemed to far more detail oriented than the last tailor and I thought his course of action made sense

He wanted to construct a basted coat and have me come in for a fitting with that before making further alterations

Basted coat? Good heavens Man do you know what a basted coat means? what in that conversation made sense to you? How the heck is he going to undo a RTW suit to a basted stage? I have NEVER heard of that.

They said they will either get it perfect or refund. I will at least see how the basted coat looks.

Are they refitting your current suit or giving you a new one? If make changes to the current one then the pharse "basted fitting" or "basted stage" means pretty much nothing. Do you know this?

They are very patient to work with and never gave me a hard time. We'll see what happens

I dont know the actual conversation that took place between you and them but what you have posted makes 0% sense. Either they said something you didnt fully understood or you really dont know what they were talking about. I doubt their "top master tailor" dont know what a basted coat means...

If they are making a coat for you from scratch with an actual coat-maker then it does means something.

I just saw this thread of yours and replied to you many pages before... I hope you know what you are doing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I assume they're putting together some skeletal jacket based on the RTW pattern. I don't see how the possible benefit would be worth the time, but if that's what they're doing it's at least dumb in a heroic way.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what material will be used for basted jacket. I guess some kind of canvas. Perhaps they have the patterns for when they do the mtm program.
He is narrowing the shoulder a hair which actually lines up with my shoulder. He believes the sleeve will look perfect by easing the back (which he said is pulling the back of sleeve) and I believe he said rotating the sleevehead
He is taking in most fabric from lower chest right as it approaches waist. I'm going to go in either this or next sat for a fitting w the basted coat.
We'll see

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm extremely interested to see how this turns out, particularly since so many of us thought the problems were different or opposite. But if he's narrowing the shoulders and chest, I think your chances of getting closer to the Tom Ford look are slim to none.

Wow. I've never heard of anyone going to that measure to fit a RTW suit. But how are they going to do this? Do they have extra fabric and the RTW pattern lying around the boutique?

Well, that's the best news you could get. Good for Tom Ford.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what material will be used for basted jacket. I guess some kind of canvas. Perhaps they have the patterns for when they do the mtm program.
He is narrowing the shoulder a hair which actually lines up with my shoulder. He believes the sleeve will look perfect by easing the back (which he said is pulling the back of sleeve) and I believe he said rotating the sleevehead
He is taking in most fabric from lower chest right as it approaches waist. I'm going to go in either this or next sat for a fitting w the basted coat.
We'll see

The MTM suits are made in the same Zegna factory as the RTW suits; I assume that's where they keep the patterns. That's partially why this is so curious.

I'm betting this whole basted fitting business is just a bunch of hocus pocus to make you think they're doing something big to fix your jacket.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume he's going to make a coat based on my coat with the proposed alterations. Perhaps to reduce hacking away at the suit to make sure they don't do something irreversible? I understand you can't turn a rtw into a basted coat lol.
Honestly I'm partially just curious to see wtf they come up with. Haha. They really seemed like they will do about anything.

^^^ I assume they're putting together some skeletal jacket based on the RTW pattern. I don't see how the possible benefit would be worth the time, but if that's what they're doing it's at least dumb in a heroic way.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps but they're wasting their time. I'm really not taking that suit unless its perfect. After my photos being picked apart I have a much better idea what to watch for albeit still learning
I didn't let them tell me any bullshit today "ohh it looks good" etc. I told them it was terrible and not happy at all

I'm also curious to see how this basted fitting goes.

The MTM suits are made in the same Zegna factory as the RTW suits; I assume that's where they keep the patterns. That's partially why this is so curious.

I'm betting this whole basted fitting business is just a bunch of hocus pocus to make you think they're doing something big to fix your jacket.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't they just make the alterations and use white thread and basting stitches? My money's on that. That way if the alterations don't work they'll just do it again.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino the tailor said and I quote as close as I can remember: "mike, do u like in ny? Or near" I said yes "ok let me make you a basting for the next fitting and we will work from there"

Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Why can't they just make the alterations and use white thread and basting stitches? My money's on that. That way if the alterations don't work they'll just do it again.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dino the tailor said and I quote as close as I can remember: "mike, do u like in ny? Or near" I said yes "ok let me make you a basting for the next fitting and we will work from there"

Oh. So, he's not making a basted jacket. He's just going to make ths changes to your existing jacket, but make them temporary with basted stitches so he can easily undo them and finish the jacket off for your next visit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
proflex