• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to call the store today and tell them not even to bother with the alterations - I don't want the suit - it does not fit and the body was hacked after first alteration. I will also contact my credit card company to tell them I returned the product as quality was terrible and it is returned.

Its almost 4k I can put towards a beautiful bespoke suit from a tailor I can be confident in.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I think I'm going to call the store today and tell them not even to bother with the alterations - I don't want the suit - it does not fit and the body was hacked after first alteration. I will also contact my credit card company to tell them I returned the product as quality was terrible and it is returned.

Its almost 4k I can put towards a beautiful bespoke suit from a tailor I can be confident in.

I think this is a good idea. While I am not a tailor, from the list of things that their super master tailor said he was going to do leads me to the conclusion that the suit doesn't fit and no matter what they do it will not fit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

As that suit gets reduced in size with each customer alteration, and then subsequent return, after a few cycles, like a melting snowman, it will fit whnay.

My advice to him: follow the Gilt Groupe thread closely. Pounce when you see this suit. It will show up there, I am certain of it.

Since the ponytail didn't inspire confidence, find a tailor with pigtails.

Despos, for example.

- B

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
I think this is a good idea. While I am not a tailor, from the list of things that their super master tailor said he was going to do leads me to the conclusion that the suit doesn't fit and no matter what they do it will not fit.

agree

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok so here it goes:

Went into city today. First stopped off at my shirtmaker for an hour to look at shirtings and ordered another batch for early 09. He is always a pleasure to work with.
Afterwards went to tf. First thing was I exchanged tie. The original one I the SA sent me based on some criteria I gave him - didn't care for it so I exchanged for one I liked

the SA had their "top master tailor" dino italian w ponytail come to inspect. He immediately pointed out various problems:

1) He said the shoulder was actually 1/8 or so too long. Not so, shoulder may be too narrow

2) Back too tight partly causing the pulling in upper sleeve. Not so. No connection to the sleeve.

3) Sleevehead needed to be rotated. Not so. The sleeves hang fine. Cut of sleeve is not matched to the armhole shape.

4) Strap should be added to vent. Minimal benefit. Vent problem is related to jacket balance.

5) Another adjustment needed so the vent lay flatter. If he is shortening the back from the top or the side seams, OK, we're getting somewhere.

6) Sides of chest need to be taken in. Not so, but i think you mean the waist to give suppresion.

7) Collar needed to be lowered. Back needs to be squared up, center back let out from neck down, more fullness distributed over shoulder.

He was far better to work with than previous tailor as he seemed to far more detail oriented than the last tailor and I thought his course of action made sense

He wanted to construct a basted coat and have me come in for a fitting with that before making further alterations. This means he will do the work but not finish it. You come in to try it on in the middle so they can make any more adjustments before doing the finishing of the sleeves, lining etc.

They said they will either get it perfect or refund. I will at least see how the basted coat looks.

They are very patient to work with and never gave me a hard time. We'll see what happens

This should have also been asked or looked into. Somewhere in this thread there is a mention of 4 differing cuts available in the MTM line. Ask if there are different models in their RTW line as well. If so, they may have a model that is better for you build. You could have tried sizing up while you were in the store to see how much better or worse the fit/look is. The jacket will still not be balance for your posture and the trouser would be a mess. Regardless, a refund or at least a store credit would be the best resolution. Maybe that pays for your new shirts.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
This should have also been asked or looked into. Somewhere in this thread there is a mention of 4 differing cuts available in the MTM line. Ask if there are different models in their RTW line as well. If so, they may have a model that is better for you build. You could have tried sizing up while you were in the store to see how much better or worse the fit/look is. The jacket will still not be balance for your posture and the trouser would be a mess. Regardless, a refund or at least a store credit would be the best resolution. Maybe that pays for your new shirts.

There are a few different cuts. Regardless I am getting a refund.

I don't really care about paying for my new shirts with the refund - I'm going to purpose having a suit made.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

I appreciate your specific responses to each of my points. They are helpful. BTW, Chris you have quite a nice shop. I saw photos before on AAAC. Happy Holidays.

Robwynge

Reaction score
I am very pleased to see that Tom Ford's customer service was accomodating. I personally like what Tom Ford is doing, even if it isn't for everyone (on this forum or otherwise).

I hope your beespoke experience goes well. I hope you'll keep us updated on how that goes.

-Rob

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i kinda lost track of things, but let me know if you are going to put the TF suit up on the selling forum. I think i might be interested.

good luck with your next suit, bespoke or otherwise. what was your final decision, by the way? Did you still plan to go try on a few suits at various places? I hope you'll keep Attolini in mind, and you might also like Castangia or Battistoni, the first is (or will be?) avail at bergdorf, the latter is still carried by Barneys I believe.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robwynge
I am very pleased to see that Tom Ford's customer service was accomodating. I personally like what Tom Ford is doing, even if it isn't for everyone (on this forum or otherwise).

I hope your beespoke experience goes well. I hope you'll keep us updated on how that goes.

-Rob

I like his vision but I think the actual end result needs tweaking and leaves much to be desired.

His MTM program has two levels, satorial and hand-made. SB suits start at 5000 and 7000 respectively. 7k for a hand made MTM suit is pretty steep when you can goto bespoke tailor for that price. Although you are also paying for his styling & supporting his infrastructure (marketing, posh store, etc) There staff is trained but eh they obviously aren't that experienced.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
i kinda lost track of things, but let me know if you are going to put the TF suit up on the selling forum. I think i might be interested.

good luck with your next suit, bespoke or otherwise. what was your final decision, by the way? Did you still plan to go try on a few suits at various places? I hope you'll keep Attolini in mind, and you might also like Castangia or Battistoni, the first is (or will be?) avail at bergdorf, the latter is still carried by Barneys I believe.

no - they have the suit and I am getting refund.

I tried on some suits yesterday, just stopped at BG. I didn't try on any Attolini.

I think I'm going to meet with a few tailors and go forward with a 3-piece suit w a very nice navy cloth.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
We've seen this sentence before, and we've given it a name: "Dopey's Lament."

- B

sorry? Dont' follow
confused.gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If the Master Tailor said, "If I don't achieve my globally known standards of perfection with you, AvariceBespoke, not only will we refund your money, but I will cut off my ponytail and give it to you," then I would be impressed.

Plus, the word "pasted" sounds a lot like "basted," so it's possibly that is what he meant...a pasted fitting.

- B

LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads