• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
I'm wearing the original one in concentrate. It's verbena overload and love it!!
Good stuff, Ren, as usual! I think we subconsciously raid each other's collections... as nearly everyday (with only a few exceptions) you are wearing or discussing a scent I either own or have recently finished and for which I am pining, OR one that I've really been wanting to try but haven't yet found...
wink.gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Good stuff, Ren, as usual! I think we subconsciously raid each other's collections... as nearly everyday (with only a few exceptions) you are wearing or discussing a scent I either own or have recently finished and for which I am pining, OR one that I've really been wanting to try but haven't yet found...
wink.gif

Yes I'll have to agree that we have similar 'nose'. Always good stuff.
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, you inspired me today to try a little layering. This morning, I thought I was going to wear White Tuberose, but I changed my mind.

Instead, I layered Chanel no. 5 edt with Helmut Lang EdC. Weird combo, non? But, my thought was that the crisp aldehydes and soft powderiness of the Chanel might play interestingly with the fougere creaminess of the HL. It did and created something rather interesting... the Chanel lost its "champagne" quality and became deeper and more subdued.

Tomorrow I may have to try it with the EdP and see what happens.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Canali. I tested it several months ago at Nordstrom's and liked its "clean" scent. Got some soap and an after shave to boot.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...after the yard-work I showered and then tried Bandit Edt again. Regretted it immediately but there was nothing left to do but wait for the drydown, which works for me.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, you inspired me today to try a little layering. This morning, I thought I was going to wear White Tuberose, but I changed my mind.

Instead, I layered Chanel no. 5 edt with Helmut Lang EdC. Weird combo, non? But, my thought was that the crisp aldehydes and soft powderiness of the Chanel might play interestingly with the fougere creaminess of the HL. It did and created something rather interesting... the Chanel lost its "champagne" quality and became deeper and more subdued.

Tomorrow I may have to try it with the EdP and see what happens.

I'm going to try layering Chanel Antaeus and Bond No.9 Riverside Drive.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday, Gucci Envy today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Please post your thoughts on using parfum scents (not that there is much available outside the classic women's lines).
They have their strengths and weaknesses. Strength is of course the concentration... you get the full depth and range of the natural fragrance oils. And, of course, a little goes a LONG way. Weaknesses are that the concentration can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Another is that you have to be careful as the juice can turn more quickly than EdT or EdC (or EdP). Since there is no alcohol and just pure fragrance oils, it is more susceptible to spoiling and heat/light sources, etc. If you find the concentration too strong, you can also cut a small amount of it with some perfumer's alcohol (or, you can use PGA if you want a more affordable alternative) in a smaller decant bottle. You still get the range of the parfum, but it's just a little more manageable for days when you don't want the full-on parfum.
Originally Posted by joel_954
I'm going to try layering Chanel Antaeus and Bond No.9 Riverside Drive.
Let us know how it turns out! My only worry is that both of them are rather strong in different ways and might clash (the Antaeus is rather dry and sharp, but Riverside Drive is lush, peppery, and a little fruity). But, half the fun of layering is trying new combos! Good luck!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They have their strengths and weaknesses. Strength is of course the concentration... you get the full depth and range of the natural fragrance oils. And, of course, a little goes a LONG way.

Weaknesses are that the concentration can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Another is that you have to be careful as the juice can turn more quickly than EdT or EdC (or EdP). Since there is no alcohol and just pure fragrance oils, it is more susceptible to spoiling and heat/light sources, etc.

If you find the concentration too strong, you can also cut a small amount of it with some perfumer's alcohol (or, you can use PGA if you want a more affordable alternative) in a smaller decant bottle. You still get the range of the parfum, but it's just a little more manageable for days when you don't want the full-on parfum.

Thanks. I am going to see if I can find any in the scents that I like to give the idea a try. I don't think I will have much luck, though. It seems to be available only for a few women's lines. Perhaps I might try Jicky that way, or maybe Bandit or Fracas.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to see if I can find any in the scents that I like to give the idea a try. I don't think I will have much luck, though. It seems to be available only for a few women's lines. Perhaps I might try Jicky that way, or maybe Bandit or Fracas.

Got Fracas in parfum strength at some weird little shop my wife found in upstate New York.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Please post your thoughts on using parfum scents (not that there is much available outside the classic women's lines).

I am weighing in on this.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - a mildly cool morning, a bit damp, seems more like the fall weather I'm used to. This means the beginning of the season for heavier scents, and a bid adieu to the lighter fare. So I'm wearing New West one more time before I box it up and send it to the off-season drawer.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lalique PH EdT today... crisp, fresh, but warm and deep enough to stay interesting as it probably won't get much out of the 60's today.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Le Labo Vetiver 46
. . .
Once again, you have also mentioned a few of the scents that are my interest list - namely Jicky and Cuir de Russie. I have tried both as samples in stores and was unimpressed, but I realize that I take a long time to discern what is interesting in a scent and usually need four or five real wearings before its complexities come through. Since Chanel sells Cuir de Russie in only the extra large size and the sales staff at both Bergdorf and Saks are annoying, I will likely get to neither any time soon.

I've been able to get the EdT in a 100ml size; check the Chanel website as sometimes you can order it directly from them. I got that, Bois des Iles, and Gardenia in the 100ml sizes for around $87 a bottle (but, the last time I ordered was 2-3 years ago).

Nevertheless, for full effect, you ought to get the CdR Parfum; it's expensive ($160 or so) and is obviously a smaller size, but it's really quite extraordinary.

. . .

The Chanel store in NY carries only 200ml bottles of the EdT, last I checked but I will stop in again this week. If they have the Parfum, I'll buy it on your reference (well yours and a bunch of others, but yours is enough to push me over). . .
I got a 100ml bottle of the Chanel Cuir de Russie at that same little shop where I picked up the Fracas parfum. It turned out to be a refill, not a spray bottle so I got an atomizer at Muji this morning.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stylo2000