Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

The Dunhill London that I have just got for free for taking out a subscription to GQ.

2. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Terre d'Hermes today

3. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

I need a few pointers from the pro's.

I haven't worn cologne regularly since high school. I'm looking for suggestions for one cologne that I could wear all the time as a 'signature cologne' per se. I am looking for (hopefully) something a little more exclusive than the designer ones I've worn in the past. Since I'm young (20's) I don't want the leather and tabacco kind of smells older men are known for. Something fresh and different.

Colognes I've liked in the past:
    1) Carrolina Herrera 112
    2) Pi
    3) Aqua di Gio (yeah...I know)

Can you guys give some recs?

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I haven't worn cologne regularly since high school. I'm looking for suggestions for one cologne that I could wear all the time as a 'signature cologne' per se. I am looking for (hopefully) something a little more exclusive than the designer ones I've worn in the past. Since I'm young (20's) I don't want the leather and tabacco kind of smells older men are known for. Something fresh and different.

1) Carrolina Herrera 112
    2) Pi

hmmm. You'll probably end up doing a lot of sampling before finding one to settle with, but if I had to throw a few at you, I think I'd start with the following to sample - chosen largely for 212 and AdG:

Aramis New West
    CDG 2 Man
    Herrera for Men
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise Man
    Estee Lauder Pure White Linen (in the women's section, no one will know the difference).

These are all fairly light, modestly sweet, contemporary scents, fairly easy to sample/obtain, and most have fallen by the wayside for more recent scents.

Moving off the beaten path...
    Caldey Island Lavender (Or SCS Lavender cologne)
    Guerlain Heritage
    DK Fuel for Men
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Parfums de Nicolai Baladin

However, these are harder to come by, generally you're going to drop the $$$ on a bottle blind and hope for the best since samples are nearly nonexistant.

I'm sure more will come to me, but check basenotes.net and see what else crops up.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - a damp musty day, barely a chill in the air, but rain on the way. Kouros Fraicheur for me.

6. 1sinister1

1sinister1 Well-Known Member

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . .
    I got a 100ml bottle of the Chanel Cuir de Russie at that same little shop where I picked up the Fracas parfum. It turned out to be a refill, not a spray bottle so I got an atomizer at Muji this morning.

Superpoop Cuir de Russie is awesome. Like sticking your head in a diaper genie.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I knew you'd love it!!!!! Now if you can just get you some Jicky, all will be shitty in your world!

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I knew you'd love it!!!!! Now if you can just get you some Jicky, all will be shitty in your world!

you guys are shittin' me? You like those?

Guess I have a few more to try then.

10. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

hmmm. You'll probably end up doing a lot of sampling before finding one to settle with, but if I had to throw a few at you, I think I'd start with the following to sample - chosen largely for 212 and AdG:

Aramis New West
    CDG 2 Man
    Herrera for Men
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise Man
    Estee Lauder Pure White Linen (in the women's section, no one will know the difference).

These are all fairly light, modestly sweet, contemporary scents, fairly easy to sample/obtain, and most have fallen by the wayside for more recent scents.

Moving off the beaten path...
    Caldey Island Lavender (Or SCS Lavender cologne)
    Guerlain Heritage
    DK Fuel for Men
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Parfums de Nicolai Baladin

However, these are harder to come by, generally you're going to drop the $$$ on a bottle blind and hope for the best since samples are nearly nonexistant.

I'm sure more will come to me, but check basenotes.net and see what else crops up.

Thanks.

I googled the Baladin and the first result is a review by a mysterious Thomas from Houston...

Anyone else?

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks.

I googled the Baladin and the first result is a review by a mysterious Thomas from Houston...

Anyone else?

I have no idea who you're talking about....

Baladin gets zero love, I've only found like three guys (in Texas no less) who wear it at all. Even on the perfume boards it's seldom mentioned.

12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

1) Carrolina Herrera 112
    2) Pi

T's recs are good (as always!) I'll offer a few, too at different price ranges:

1) Chanel Pour Monsieur. It seems good to me for all seasons/occasions. Many "niche" fragrances are great for particular times, but not all the time. Not so with the Chanel.
    2) Guerlain Heritage. In the same boat as the Chanel.
    3) Tiffany Pour Homme: Very much like the ORIGINAL Chanel PM, of which the current one is a "reformulation"; harder to find but really a standout. I think you can still order it directly from Tiffany for around $75 or so.
    4) Fresh Cannabis Santal: crisp, clean, sweet. Sandalwood, citrus, chocolate, and apparently a cannibis note that I can never find and that I think was simply put in there for marketing purposes.
    5) Creed Silver Mountain Water: I really like this one. Pricey, but very versatile.

There are others, but I like these as "anytime" year round day/night scents.

Good luck and enjoy!

13. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Acqua di Parma for me today.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - for a damp and slightly chilly day, I went for the boozy comfort of Nicole Miller for Men. I think this one is slated for re-issue.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today - for a damp and slightly chilly day, I went for the boozy comfort of Nicole Miller for Men. I think this one is slated for re-issue.

English Fern. This was a mistake - I was reaching for Blenheim Bouquet.