• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
Really? Do you think that black suede and black calf look the same?

That's more matter of texture than color.

ExHack

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with wearing black or brown shoes with navy or grey. I used to agree w/the OP that brown and grey were from 2 different color families, ergo don't wear 'em together. But by that token, blue suits shouldn't go with brown OR black - so where would that leave you?

A woman running a tasting room in Monterey once gave me the best advice on wine: If it tastes good to you, it's a good wine. I tend to err in that direction with sartorial choices.

lovely

Reaction score
seems to me grey suit.... brown shoes. I fought it at first, thinking why fight a color story? Turns out a slight contrast is achievable while staying conservative. A black shoe is safe and a good standby but inside the box. A good oxblood, always a favorite, goes with any suit already owned. Damn me for it. Layer upon layer, colour, within a season appropriate texture is always well received. A grey suit is always and will continue to be a favorite, pin stripped, chalk stripped and window pain. Doesn't matter. It continues to be a blank canvas with nothing but color options available.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
A good rule to follow for grey-brown is the lighter the grey, the lighter the brown and likewise the darker the darker.

Good rules to live by.

I think brown or black shoes look great with gray suits. A navy suit with black shoes is typical service worker/police uniform but acceptable I guess.

misterjase

Reaction score
I agree that black and blue is police uniform.

What is the opinion re what shade of brown is best with navy?

lovely

Reaction score
on the debate goes, which shade of navy? And how to classify them. So a darker navy considered a classic. dark brown shoe no question. This rule travels with new navy or spring navy, lighter shade of brown shoe fallowing the colour story.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original poster is in good company. The Dear Leader Kim Jong Il also likes black (elevator) shoes with grey (boiler) suits. What a faux pas with those cuffless pleated trousers, though!
Shoes.jpeg.jpg

misterjase

Reaction score
you gotta admit that this thread is better than a thread on "help me buy a suit/shirt", "tell me what you think I should buy".

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see brown shoes with grey and blue suits started at the turn of the last century.

1895PhilMay.jpg

1899JamesLawrence.jpg

1905LeoTrevor.jpg

1909CharlesFriswell.jpg

1909LordLeith.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.