Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hugomano, Jul 15, 2007.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Or American Airlines pilot.

If blucher>bus driver [​IMG]

2. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I wonder on what basis the OP thinks brown doesn't match with Grey. Certainly its not based on color theory so it must come from some other observation.

3. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

It is interesting what different eyes see and how that affects colour combinations. However, I must say that I fall into the "brown shoes with grey suits and brown shoes with navy suits work" category. Beyond my own personal tastes, I also defer to the opinions of those who work with colour both artistically and in fashion and the vast majority of those contacts tell me that brown with grey and brown with navy do work. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so go with whatever you think works for you and hopefully all public comments are favourable.

4. Max Inseam

Max Inseam Well-Known Member

Only color that really calls out for black shoes in my opinion is a very dark charcoal (of course, a black suit would call out for black shoes as well, but we won't get into that). Any other shade of gray and brown shoes are fine. Navy really calls out for brown shoes.

I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them. But a black suit requires black shoes for the simple reason that any other color would look out of place at a funeral.

5. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them. But a black suit requires black shoes for the simple reason that any other color would look out of place at a funeral.

or when waiting tables.

6. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

7. sweisman

sweisman Senior member

Yes, but a well-made black shoe will always outshine its unfortunate glue-job brethren. As with a quality navy suit, the craftsmanship and styling speak volumes. There's a wonderful simplicity to black shoes, and they can be used very effectively to complete a sleek, streamlined look that is, to my mind, the definition of high style. Think classic mid-century cool.

I have no need for a closet filled with black shoes, but a few pairs, well chosen and put to good use, can be unbeatably stylish.

+1000

8. academe

academe Senior member

Are you a security guard?

No need to be rude...

9. binge

binge Senior member

I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them.

Yep, oxblood.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wonder on what basis the OP thinks brown doesn't match with Grey. Certainly its not based on color theory so it must come from some other observation.
    Today I'm wearing a light grey suit with Whiskey (light tan) shell longwings. I've worn the same suit with black shoes and thought it looked too dull.

11. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes??

That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.

Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

Brown shoes with a navy suit is a great look. I don't understand why some refuse to budge from the black shoes/blue suit rule. It does not make any sense to me. Look at a color wheel.

you are hugely mistaken if you dont think brown shoes go with grey/charcoal.

it is the single best color for shoes to complement charcoal /grey

+100

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

this topic comes up over and over again and recycled and regurgitated.

yes, BROWN SHOES GO WITH GREY/CHARCOAL SUITS.

it is the best combination actually

edit..oops, i did not see above that i actually posted on this thread before!

13. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

shoe I thought you were retiring from the whole clothing forum thing...found Jesus or something right?

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

shoe I thought you were retiring from the whole clothing forum thing...found Jesus or something right?

yeah i said i was gone from sf indefinitely. i needed to get some things sorted out. i found jesus a while back though.
    trust me though, i m not on here like i was before like last year, i was on here 24/7

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

yeah i said i was gone from sf indefinitely. i needed to get some things sorted out. i found jesus a while back though.
    trust me though, i m not on here like i was before like last year, i was on here 24/7

Just give it time.