• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Or American Airlines pilot.

If blucher>bus driver
smile.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder on what basis the OP thinks brown doesn't match with Grey. Certainly its not based on color theory so it must come from some other observation.

gsugsu

Reaction score
It is interesting what different eyes see and how that affects colour combinations. However, I must say that I fall into the "brown shoes with grey suits and brown shoes with navy suits work" category. Beyond my own personal tastes, I also defer to the opinions of those who work with colour both artistically and in fashion and the vast majority of those contacts tell me that brown with grey and brown with navy do work. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so go with whatever you think works for you and hopefully all public comments are favourable.

Max Inseam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Only color that really calls out for black shoes in my opinion is a very dark charcoal (of course, a black suit would call out for black shoes as well, but we won't get into that). Any other shade of gray and brown shoes are fine. Navy really calls out for brown shoes.

I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them. But a black suit requires black shoes for the simple reason that any other color would look out of place at a funeral.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max Inseam
I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them. But a black suit requires black shoes for the simple reason that any other color would look out of place at a funeral.

or when waiting tables.

sweisman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, but a well-made black shoe will always outshine its unfortunate glue-job brethren. As with a quality navy suit, the craftsmanship and styling speak volumes. There's a wonderful simplicity to black shoes, and they can be used very effectively to complete a sleek, streamlined look that is, to my mind, the definition of high style. Think classic mid-century cool.

I have no need for a closet filled with black shoes, but a few pairs, well chosen and put to good use, can be unbeatably stylish.

+1000

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max Inseam
I think even dark charcoal can work well with dark brown shoes, particularly with a little red in them.

Yep, oxblood.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I wonder on what basis the OP thinks brown doesn't match with Grey. Certainly its not based on color theory so it must come from some other observation.
Today I'm wearing a light grey suit with Whiskey (light tan) shell longwings. I've worn the same suit with black shoes and thought it looked too dull.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugomano
So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes??

That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.

Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

Brown shoes with a navy suit is a great look. I don't understand why some refuse to budge from the black shoes/blue suit rule. It does not make any sense to me. Look at a color wheel.

Originally Posted by shoe
you are hugely mistaken if you dont think brown shoes go with grey/charcoal.

it is the single best color for shoes to complement charcoal /grey

+100

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shoe I thought you were retiring from the whole clothing forum thing...found Jesus or something right?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
shoe I thought you were retiring from the whole clothing forum thing...found Jesus or something right?

yeah i said i was gone from sf indefinitely. i needed to get some things sorted out. i found jesus a while back though.
trust me though, i m not on here like i was before like last year, i was on here 24/7

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
yeah i said i was gone from sf indefinitely. i needed to get some things sorted out. i found jesus a while back though.
trust me though, i m not on here like i was before like last year, i was on here 24/7

Just give it time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads