• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the quintessential men's navy blue blazer?

Thilgela

Reaction score
@dieworkwear what would you recommend for a year round navy blazer RTW? Like the one you mentioned with some weights that can wear both with fresco trousers in S/S and flannels in F/W?

I have been looking for years for a sportcoat like this but RTW is really hard to have things like Neapolitan detail (patch pockets, unpadded shoulder, etc.) together with a heavier fabric.

most navy ones I see RTW are super lightweight hopsacks that are intended for summer instead of all year round.

Or they are very American style ones

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear what would you recommend for a year round navy blazer RTW? Like the one you mentioned with some weights that can wear both with fresco trousers in S/S and flannels in F/W?

I have been looking for years for a sportcoat like this but RTW is really hard to have things like Neapolitan detail (patch pockets, unpadded shoulder, etc.) together with a heavier fabric.

most navy ones I see RTW are super lightweight hopsacks that are intended for summer instead of all year round.

Or they are very American style ones

FYI, DWW left earlier this year and I don’t think anyone knows if he’ll return. Anyhow, I think he is/was a fan of the Armoury Model 3 sportcoat, and I do think some of the fabrics on their website check a lot of the boxes you’re looking for. However, I think it’s a little much to expect to be able to wear the same jacket with flannel and with fresco, though maybe it depends on how mild your climate is.

Thilgela

Reaction score
FYI, DWW left earlier this year and I don’t think anyone knows if he’ll return. Anyhow, I think he is/was a fan of the Armoury Model 3 sportcoat, and I do think some of the fabrics on their website check a lot of the boxes you’re looking for. However, I think it’s a little much to expect to be able to wear the same jacket with flannel and with fresco.

Thanks for the insights! Do you think the Armoury model 3 one is more suited for fresco or flannel?

I think the really question I am asking is, the navy jacket with grey pants is a staple look, hopsack + fresco is a no brainer, but what would be the ideal jacket to wear with the flannel, except for the typical serge blazer that has flap pockets and padded shoulders? Cashmere? Tweed? Heavier worsted? regular worsted in a fancier weave, e.g., birdseye/herringbone?

Everyone has been saying navy blazer + grey flannels, but I am more curious about what fabric people actually used for the one they wear with flannels.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights! Do you think the Armoury model 3 one is more suited for fresco or flannel?

I think the really question I am asking is, the navy jacket with grey pants is a staple look, hopsack + fresco is a no brainer, but what would be the ideal jacket to wear with the flannel, except for the typical serge blazer that has flap pockets and padded shoulders? Cashmere? Tweed? Heavier worsted? regular worsted in a fancier weave, e.g., birdseye/herringbone?

Everyone has been saying navy blazer + grey flannels, but I am more curious about what fabric people actually used for the one they wear with flannels.

Hopsack also comes in different weights and you can definitely wear a heavier hopsack (say 13+ oz) with flannel in the winter. A heavier serge would work too. Once you get into tweed, etc I’d argue that’s a navy odd sportcoat but not really a blazer. Personally if you live where you have cold winters and hot summers, I’d look for a three-season fabric to cover you fall-winter-spring and then a summer fabric like a Mocklino.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Hopsack also comes in different weights and you can definitely wear a heavier hopsack (say 13+ oz) with flannel in the winter. A heavier serge would work too. Once you get into tweed, etc I’d argue that’s a navy odd sportcoat but not really a blazer. Personally if you live where you have cold winters and hot summers, I’d look for a three-season fabric to cover you fall-winter-spring and then a summer fabric like a Mocklino.

This is super helpful! Thank you! I live in SoCal so can just sport typical hop sack + fresco all year round. However, I do travel to colder places regularly, and I need something that’s more hefty, as appearing in a lightweight hopsack in December in NYC is just odd. Hence the struggle to find a proper navy blazer to pair with the flannels for FW.

I guess the best would be find a heftier hopsack/serge for traveling then mock Leno type of clothes when I in SoCal.

Or just 2 hopsacks, one for S/S, and one for F/W?

Any other recommendation for a S/S one? Fresco on fresco is definitely no go, probably some blends?

For F/W, what about cashmere? I had 1 before and it’s no longer fitting, I found them to be good looking but they are just very soft and delicate. Have little to no structure, and easily lose shape, but want to see how you guys think about it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is super helpful! Thank you! I live in SoCal so can just sport typical hop sack + fresco all year round. However, I do travel to colder places regularly, and I need something that’s more hefty, as appearing in a lightweight hopsack in December in NYC is just odd. Hence the struggle to find a proper navy blazer to pair with the flannels for FW.

I guess the best would be find a heftier hopsack/serge for traveling then mock Leno type of clothes when I in SoCal.

Or just 2 hopsacks, one for S/S, and one for F/W?

Any other recommendation for a S/S one? Fresco on fresco is definitely no go, probably some blends?

For F/W, what about cashmere? I had 1 before and it’s no longer fitting, I found them to be good looking but they are just very soft and delicate. Have little to no structure, and easily lose shape, but want to see how you guys think about it.

What do you currently have? A lightweight blazer?

If you need something for colder weather, does not need to be too heavy. A midweight fabric will be more versatile than a heavy fabric. When you're inside, you'll more than likely be in a climate-controlled setting. When you're outside, you'll be wearing an overcoat.

What kind of flannel do you wear? Not all flannel is the same. A mid-weight (say 12-13 oz) worsted flannel won't look out of place with a standard 3-season navy blazer. A heavy 15 oz woolen flannel isn't all that comfortable in most heated offices IMO.

Agree that cashmere isn't the best choice for a jacket you'll wear regularly, IMO.

Last edited:

Thilgela

Reaction score
What do you currently have? A lightweight blazer?

If you need something for colder weather, does not need to be too heavy. A midweight fabric will be more versatile than a heavy flannel. When you're inside, you'll more than likely be in a climate-controlled setting. When you're outside, you'll be wearing an overcoat.

What kind of flannel do you wear? Not all flannel is the same. A mid-weight (say 12-13 oz) worsted flannel won't look out of place with a standard 3-season navy blazer. A heavy 15 oz woolen flannel isn't all that comfortable in most heated offices IMO.

Agree that cashmere isn't the best choice for a jacket you'll wear regularly, IMO.

Make sense! I don't have anything now because i've grown out of all the things i have. So planning to start over and get the new wardrobe minimal/versatile.

I am eyeing for an English flannel that is around 370g, but i think it would be woolen instead of worsted. So finding the blazer that works for this one, and another fresco I bought, is the key.

Seems like the current conclusion is a midweight hopsack then?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sense! I don't have anything now because i've grown out of all the things i have. So planning to start over and get the new wardrobe minimal/versatile.

I am eyeing for an English flannel that is around 370g, but i think it would be woolen instead of worsted. So finding the blazer that works for this one, and another fresco I bought, is the key.

Seems like the current conclusion is a midweight hopsack then?
Right, I think a mid weight hopsack would be a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads