1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hugomano, Jul 15, 2007.

1. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

With charcoal or navy suits, has to be black shoes... brown shoes look douchey.

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Douchiness comes from within.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Burgundy also looks good with navy and charcoal, especially if they're shell cordovan.

4. kannoos

kannoos Senior member

Patriotism must trump any aesthetic sense here. As an Englishman I feel I must frown upon the wearing of brown shoes with navy or charcoal suits. They are fine with lighter shades of grey, as long as you stick to black for work, any serious or formal occasion, and going out in the evening.

5. overdog

overdog Senior member

as long as you stick to black for work, any serious or formal occasion, and going out in the evening.

Well, unfortunately that covers 99% of the times people wear suits here in the U.S. And most SFers have a brown-to-black shoe ratio of 5-to-1. So we have to find time to wear our brown shoes somehow!

6. kannoos

kannoos Senior member

Why not wear a nice light grey windowpane check suit and brown shoes for a stroll on a Saturday morning? Accessorized with a cane or walking stick umbrella of course. I would not hesitate to do this, although I need to build up a good wardrobe for work first before getting suits like that.

7. Trendy Sing Sing

Trendy Sing Sing Senior member

I think it looks best with a light blue or pink shirt.

8. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

what about the pewter museum calf from john lobb? Are they ok with a charcoal or navy suit as they are kinda brownish

9. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

Brown shoes go with every color suit except Black. Black shoes with Navy or Grey is boring and uninspired.

10. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767
    Seems odd to have brown shoes and gray suit, even if it is a light shade. I just don't get how you match a color that, if darkened, hits black. Brown, however is in the yellow to reddish range.

Also, it looks weird to see gray and brown....it really bothers me. But black shoes and a gray suit with black buttons, nice contrast within the same color family....like Sean Connery in his bond days.

Brown shoes maybe can go with a medium blue suit, but even there, I like black shoes with a blue suit....just seems blue and brown are in different color families.

Anyone agree?

I used to agree, but not anymore.

11. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767
    Brown shoes go with every color suit except Black.

I used to disagree, but not anymore.

However, I always knew that black and brown clash with each other.

12. jasonmarshalljazz

jasonmarshalljazz Senior member

So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes??

That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.

Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

stick around here long enough and you will change your tune. Black goes with black. EVERYTHING else goes very well with varying shades of brown. Black is the absents of color and as such fails to adequately complement other colors gracefully if at all.