• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can guardsman slant be combined with cuffs? Or, is this a tailoring impossibility?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chanimal
looking to buy some kiwi shoe polish off of ebay for my red wing dark cherry GT's....wanted to know what kind of polish would be best for these boots, oxblood, cordovan or black ? thanks

I use the Kiwi cordovan colour and it looks good. The guy at my local shoe repair place says that it's just the new name for oxblood and it's really the same stuff. I don't know why you need to get it on eBay, they sell it everywhere and it's about 3$ a tin. Seems like shipping would cost more than the price of the wax.

naaaaate

Reaction score
What would be a ballpark price range for a tailoring job converting a normal collar to a banded collar? Is that hard to do? I saw superbobo did it to one of his shirts and I have been wanting a banded-collar shirt but not seeing one I like that happens to be in my price range.

cheep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheep
Anyone from Toronto???

I need to know how much the customs/duties taxes are from Denimbar to T.O.

Are there any ways to subtract some charges??
bounce2.gif

ANYONE?

jot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'm pretty sure it's a slim fit. I lay the shirt flat and measure all the way across, not just seam to seam. The h&m small i have certainly isn't as slim as the BoO in the body or the arms.
H&M must not be very consistent then, I'm getting 18.5" all the way across. Oh well; I guess I'll be going with the S in BoO then. (As a side note, I wear S in AA and XS in the Gap's 'fitted' line, am I underestimating how slim BoO shirts are?)

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ANYONE?

Cheep, it's safe to say that total charges will come out to around 20% of the total (including shipping). So, if you're buying a jean that's $220 WITH shipping, expect the higher end of customs charges to be around $44.

Of course, they could always pass through un-inspected. It happens..

For specifics on customs charges to Canada ebay had a great page which detailed everything and even allowed you to calculate precisely. But I can't find it.

Anyway, it would tell you much the same: around 20% of the total.

If that bothers you, you can do one of three things:

1. ask DB to, you know, mark the package "benevolently"--you know what I'm saying? They might do it.

2. Get a proxy and have him mark the package as a gift. But that might end up being more expensive.

3. Take a drive down to the States and call it a vacation.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jot
H&M must not be very consistent then, I'm getting 18.5" all the way across. Oh well; I guess I'll be going with the S in BoO then. (As a side note, I wear S in AA and XS in the Gap's 'fitted' line, am I underestimating how slim BoO shirts are?)

My mistake. A small in BoO would probably work then. You sound about my measurements. I guess my H&M shirt just isn't that fitted.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats everyone's thoughts on tucking in a shirt but not wearing a belt... i've never done it, but i think i might with some dress pants/dress shirt...
i have this new pair of pants that the beltloops are so tiny i cannot fit any of my belts within them, so I might just go beltless, but i always feel this is an incomplete look

cjbreed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
whats everyone's thoughts on tucking in a shirt but not wearing a belt... i've never done it, but i think i might with some dress pants/dress shirt...
i have this new pair of pants that the beltloops are so tiny i cannot fit any of my belts within them, so I might just go beltless, but i always feel this is an incomplete look

dress pants + dress shirt requires dress belt. in at least 99 out of 100 situations, anyway. without it you'll just look like you forgot your belt. just my opinion......

edwinl

Reaction score
Question, anyone know if the Acronym 3A-1 bag's strap can be reconfigured to a 3 point strap style? Thanks!

jamoo

Reaction score
ANYONE?
I got hit for ten bucks on a pair of APC Rescues to Edmonton. You could always ask to see if they'll mark the value low.

mimesis

Reaction score
I bought some earbuds from tennessee, and customs was 20 dollars. i think the package was marked at 160$. the customs might differ for clothing though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur