• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Either ways, Steve is free to charge what he wishes to charge and if the market floats it, it’s all good .. otherwise, wait for the sale.

Right. But isn't my question to Steve asking him to comment on his pricing an example of "the market" pushing back? I'm just as much a part of "the market" as you are.

Also, you'll note I never said a thing about him not being "free" to charge whatever he wants. I do think that retailers of all sizes should be called to account for their pricing if it's out of step with the rest of the field. But sure, if you want to play some red herring game here and suggest I said something I didn't, you can engage in that sort of tactic. I asked a series of very reasonable questions of Steve and it seems like you and others don't want to see a retailer get called out.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I don't like retailers getting called out, just questioning your facts. I get what you are trying to say because there are people out there that inflate prices. I just don't see it here with your example. Even sky valet has Steve prices and I think they are the only two that sell zonkey from the US (I could be wrong). Sky valet's ZB stock is like from 2-3 years old too lol. Take a look at my last post to confirm ZB cost if ordering directly.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Not that I don't like retailers getting called out, just questioning your facts. I get what you are trying to say because there are people out there that inflate prices. I just don't see it here with your example. Even sky valet has Steve prices and I think they are the only two that sell zonkey from the US (I could be wrong). Sky valet's ZB stock is like from 2-3 years old too lol. Take a look at my last post to confirm ZB cost if ordering directly.

There should not be import duties based on HTS code 6403.12.30 for welted footwear. I've had much luck getting UPS to recalculate duties when providing them with the proper code. Worst case, you're at 5% duties ($48 added, so all-in $1020 or so). I forgot to include state sales tax in Steve's prices, which he should be charging if he's following the law. So for me here in CA, my all-in price with Steve is $1290 including sales tax.

To your point, I don't see how a 26% difference (ZB direct with 5% duty vs Steve's price including tax) does not fit the "inflated prices" category. It's literally 26% more expensive. That's the very definition of inflated prices. I'm not quibbling over a 3% difference between Steve and ZB direct. It's $270 when you include tax. That's a huge difference. Why would you order from the US (your comment) if doing so costs you 25% more?

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to buy a pair of shoes does not qualify as being a stockholder last time I checked. Steve does not really have to show you his ledger ..

Antics as these would discourage small vendors from participating in these threads .. we must strive not to make SF look like reddit.

You could have PMed Steve as well. Discretion is an asset.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Hoping to buy a pair of shoes does not qualify as being a stockholder last time I checked. Steve does not really have to show you his ledger ..

Antics as these would discourage small vendors from participating in these threads .. we must strive not to make SF look like reddit.

You could have PMed Steve as well. Discretion is an asset.

PLEASE. What a joke. Let's rebut these absurd claims one step at a time:

• I never asked Steve to show me his ledger. Please don't distort what I've said. I asked Steve to explain his reasoning for pricing 25% above the price I can get from Zonkey.
  • It's not "antics" to call a retailer to account. If a "small vendor" doesn't like being asked hard questions, maybe they're in the wrong business.
  • Why would I PM Steve for something that should be discussed publicly? SF is supposed to be for members, not a place for retailers to do whatever they want. I did not start a thread slandering Steve or make disparaging remarks. I pointed out that I think he's overcharging and I'd like to hear his explanation for his pricing. That's EXACTLY what public forums like this are meant for and how customers can get some power back over retailers who do stuff that seems shady, which I absolutely think this is. If it's not shady and Steve has a good explanation, then posting that publicly is an excellent idea for all parties here.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
State taxes are out of the question. My state only recently started charging internet taxes.

But anyway, I'm not getting into an argument about taxes since that is a sensitive one that rarely changes opinions.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I think it's simply, if you don't like the prices, you don't have to buy it. It's not like Steve is forcing anyone to purchase from him.

I love the selection for ZB this time around, the split toe boots are killer. I have a pair of chelseas in shrunken bull and the texture is off the charts. Only thing that surprised me was the pictures made the leather look soft to the touch, at least to me and irl it wasn't like that.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest misconception is using Zonkey Boot's own website price as the basis for a retail price. To me, I think Steve's prices are high, but reasonable for Zonkey. It does not seem out of line for standard wholesale-retail markup. If anything, I get the feeling that Zonkey's own website charges below retail price, and the Zonkey's MTO price is more reflective of the MSRP.

My 2 cents.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
I think it's simply, if you don't like the prices, you don't have to buy it. It's not like Steve is forcing anyone to purchase from him.

I know. I never suggested otherwise. Steve came on here hawking his options. The pricing was jaw dropping to me. I asked for his comments and response. If he hadn’t come in here trying to gin up sales I never would have posted. But Steve opened this up and it’s entirely 100% fair to ask him to comment on why his pricing is so out of step with the ZB mothersite. If that’s not acceptable, then this thread is just another advertising channel for retailers like Steve. I don’t think that’s what this forum is for. If dissenting opinions like mine—and invitations to conversation like mine as well (re-read my initial post, which asked for Steve to comment) are shouted down or subject to ad hominem attacks from folks like @nishant then this forum is lost.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
I think the biggest misconception is using Zonkey Boot's own website price as the basis for a retail price. To me, I think Steve's prices are high, but reasonable for Zonkey. It does not seem out of line for standard wholesale-retail markup. If anything, I get the feeling that Zonkey's own website charges below retail price, and the Zonkey's MTO price is more reflective of the MSRP.

My 2 cents.

This makes absolutely no sense. I can buy from Zonkey directly. It is therefore the authoritative retail price. How can you claim they are below market when they are the manufacturer selling direct to consumer? This is laughably wrong. You can literally buy comparable shoes from Zonkey on their own site. It’s not like I’m comparing a wholesale price that a consumer can’t access with a retail price. The ZB price IS the retail price. Steve buys from ZB at a discount off retail. He does not pay the same as you and me. Otherwise anyone could get wholesale/distributor pricing. Zonkey will sell me NST bluchers in brown grain leather for $978 shipped with trees. Steve charges $1198 for the same or 90% similar thing. How do you honestly claim that ZB is not a real retail price? Just a bizarre statement.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes absolutely no sense. I can buy from Zonkey directly. It is therefore the authoritative retail price. How can you claim they are below market when they are the manufacturer selling direct to consumer? This is laughably wrong. You can literally buy comparable shoes from Zonkey on their own site. It’s not like I’m comparing a wholesale price that a consumer can’t access with a retail price. The ZB price IS the retail price. Steve buys from ZB at a discount off retail. He does not pay the same as you and me. Otherwise anyone could get wholesale/distributor pricing. Zonkey will sell me NST bluchers in brown grain leather for $978 shipped with trees. Steve charges $1198 for the same or 90% similar thing. How do you honestly claim that ZB is not a real retail price? Just a bizarre statement.
I think the issue is that the makeups available from Steve are not really available from Zonkey's website unless you do MTO, which carries ~30% surcharge. Also, if you look at the wholesale cost, it's not unreasonable to imagine Zonkey themselves selling DTC at 100% markup due to lower costs while a retailer like Steve selling at 150% markup. That's just the retail model. If anything, I would argue that Zonkey's DTC pricing is discouraging me from buying from Steve, leaving him with unsold inventory risk.

Also, when i'm paying $1K+ for a pair of shoes, I don't just want 90% similar thing... In your example, is $220 more really that obscene of a margin, especially with room for a 10-20% discount in there?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too noticed Steve’s price point was a bit higher than ZB own site. I took note because I’ve pretty much exclusively purchased my ZB directly from the ZB site. However, when I considered the offers he presents that are not available except through MTO, that made his pricing relatable. Having purchased MTO through ZB, I can tell you his prices are right there.

Having said all that, please don’t take my reasoning and response on the subject as an attack on you. Your question to Steve is ballsy, but entirely reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads