• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZB are pricey, that blue suede has been on my list for years, Every time I’m reminded of them, I’ve always been in the process of getting a pricey pair from some other maker. I must admit though, this is the one brand I will spend freely to get pairs. When I first started on this shoe fetish back in the day, it’s the first maker that seduced me to drop a band on them.

I am still not sold on fit yet. The 7.5EE in the elephant boots I got are definitely not a pair I would spend the $1400 to repurchase if I had to keep the same size.

The Jodhpur boots I got in 7.5H, so we will see how they work out. As of now though having not really worn them, they're not perfect right out of the box. I do suspect that a lot of that is due to how stout the leather is and just them being more like giant loafers than an actual lace-up boot. We will see how they break in, and I will probably get more pairs in the future if this pair goes well. Cautiously optimistic though.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jodhpur MTO arrived yesterday, first pair of Zonkey boots, first jodhpurs, excited to break these in!

Cognac horsebutt, walnut Russian Reindeer straps, natural edges, thin rubber soles with leather heels. Wide sailor last. Pretty impressive w the detailing and finishing. There’s some staining from the edges onto the leather, but nuances as such don’t bother me. Clicking is good, but I think it could’ve been better imo. One thing I keep noticing is that some areas look dry, a bit curious about this.

Some pics didn’t want to upload since they were too big.

The horsebutt does seem softer and more malleable, than others I’ve handled. I’ll admit I completely forgot what I ordered when these arrived, upon opening them, I said “wtf is this” regarding the Russian reindeer straps lol. I was also expecting full leather soles. I went back to my emails and yup, everything is correct. Ordered these in August. I was a bit surprised I had to pay thru Wise and not their website. Either way, it’s fine, I didn’t get hit w duties or anything which is always great.
IMG_0489.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg
IMG_0478.jpeg
IMG_0477.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jodhpur MTO arrived yesterday, first pair of Zonkey boots, first jodhpurs, excited to break these in!

Cognac horsebutt, walnut Russian Reindeer straps, natural edges, thin rubber soles with leather heels. Wide sailor last. Pretty impressive w the detailing and finishing. There’s some staining from the edges onto the leather, but nuances as such don’t bother me. Clicking is good, but I think it could’ve been better imo. One thing I keep noticing is that some areas look dry, a bit curious about this.

The horsebutt does seem softer and more malleable, than others I’ve handled. I’ll admit I completely forgot what I ordered when these arrived, upon opening them, I said “wtf is this” regarding the Russian reindeer straps lol. I was also expecting full leather soles. I went back to my emails and yup, everything is correct. Ordered these in August. I was a bit surprised I had to pay thru Wise and not their website. Either way, it’s fine, I didn’t get hit w duties or anything which is always great. View attachment 2114595 View attachment 2114593 View attachment 2114591 View attachment 2114589 View attachment 2114587 View attachment 2114585 View attachment 2114583 View attachment 2114581

I would guess that maybe whatever platform they use for their website sales can’t generate invoices. Luckily Wise is pretty reasonable with their fees.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The horsebutt does seem softer and more malleable, than others I’ve handled. I’ll admit I completely forgot what I ordered when these arrived, upon opening them, I said “wtf is this” regarding the Russian reindeer straps lol. I was also expecting full leather soles. I went back to my emails and yup, everything is correct. Ordered these in August. I was a bit surprised I had to pay thru Wise and not their website. Either way, it’s fine, I didn’t get hit w duties or anything which is always great. View attachment 2114595 View attachment 2114593 View attachment 2114591 View attachment 2114589 View attachment 2114587 View attachment 2114585 View attachment 2114583 View attachment 2114581
Wow, excellent build, they are absolutely gorgeous.
As for the apparent dry spots, I find this to be a characteristic in all my hotsebutt boots, and one of the visual characters that make the leather one of my favorites.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
ZB are pricey, that blue suede has been on my list for years, Every time I’m reminded of them, I’ve always been in the process of getting a pricey pair from some other maker. I must admit though, this is the one brand I will spend freely to get pairs. When I first started on this shoe fetish back in the day, it’s the first maker that seduced me to drop a band on them.
i feel exactly the same. I will say however that when i was younger and was much earlier in my sartorial journey, i valued quantity over quality. I couldn't fathom spending over $1k for a pair of shoes/boots when i could get 2/3 pairs of say, carmina (on sale) for that price. Now that i'm older and further along, i look back and wish i had just saved up and gotten more ZB for example.

lurker33

Reaction score
Tell me about this MTO event, is it like Carmina, no MTO fees? And how do i get notified next time? Been wanting to try Zonkey for a while.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me about this MTO event, is it like Carmina, no MTO fees? And how do i get notified next time? Been wanting to try Zonkey for a while.
I’d say follow them on IG, they announce when they are running specials there. Like most other makers, their MTO fee is substantial, when they are running a special they forego that fee.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i feel exactly the same. I will say however that when i was younger and was much earlier in my sartorial journey, i valued quantity over quality. I couldn't fathom spending over $1k for a pair of shoes/boots when i could get 2/3 pairs of say, carmina (on sale) for that price. Now that i'm older and further along, i look back and wish i had just saved up and gotten more ZB for example.
I kind of did the same when I started, the difference being I still purchase others like Meermin for example. They’re on the other end of the spectrum. But I personally want a large rotation because I just really like boots. But Zonkey are the favorites in my collection.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Follow them on Instagram and sign up for their email newsletter.

But basically yes, it is a free custom event they usually run once (or maybe twice?) per year. I want to say the last one was a few weeks long, so you have plenty of time to figure out what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads