1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheWraith, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

bump. Pic updates please wrath [​IMG]

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yep, coming, just gotta get off my duff and get the wife to take them for me.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Some pics of my Zink & Sons grey POW suit and navy sports coat. Please forgive the quality of the photos. Our camera isn't the best and neither I nor my wife are the greatest of photographers.

The grey POW suit is fully canvassed with unpolished, black horn buttons, while the sports coat is also fully canvassed and features polished, brown horn buttons. Both are Holland & Sherry fabrics. Anyone interested in the prices, please feel free to pm me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Looks pretty good to me. Lots of break in the pants though? Maybe that's how you like them, but a bit long for me. Fabric of the blazer looks nice in the pics.

5. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

To be honest, it looks a bit RTW. In the interests of trying to fix things up for the next time, I think the following could be worked on.

Tighter collar (in both, but esp. the blazer, the neck is pulling away on one side and seems too large)

Fix the shoulders (It's hard to tell what's going on here but they seem too wide and too padded. That's not really an aesthetic issue here because the shape looks sloppy. There is actually something wrong with how the fit conforms to your body.)

Too big (I think generally speaking the entire coat looks too big. More shape would be worth asking for. The trousers are too long by anyone's standards.)

I would give these a shot. Some of these, esp. the trousers, could be fixed now and without having to commission something else. If they don't agree work needs to be done, next time save your money and go to Fletcher Jones. You will get the same fit there.

6. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Besom pockets on a SC...I dont like it personally.
    They are little bit RTWish. Good but not impressive. Hemming the pants and tweaking the collar of the SC are necessary.

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Thanks for the comments, guys, good, bad and more. I won't be changing anything on these, I like them as they are. Trust me, though, this doesn't look like RTW in the flesh. The posted photos are crappy with even crappier lighting. In person they look much better. Just shows the limitations of bad photos on a message forum.

8. Sheumack

Sheumack Member

Thanks for the comments, guys, good, bad and more. I won't be changing anything on these, I like them as they are. Trust me, though, this doesn't look like RTW in the flesh. The posted photos are crappy with even crappier lighting. In person they look much better. Just shows the limitations of bad photos on a message forum.

Sorry to ask the crude question, but what did Zink charge you for the suit?

S.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Sorry to resurrect this but I missed it when it was first posted, and being in Sydney a lot of the time I have a special interest in the work of the local tailors.

Looking at the suit I think the fabric is great, but from the pics there seem to be a couple of major issues. One is the armholes look way to big. Second, both jackets look like they need more waist suppression to give them some shape, especially the suit jacket. From there, some of the other details could be more to do with the quality of the photos, but I think the two issues I've pointed out aren't convincingly explained by poor photography or lighting.

I'm no expert but they are my humble observations. I'm sure the foof or someone else more knowledgable about both suits and photoshop could provide more constructive feedback.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Looks like Zinks must be listening to SF as they have moved into a dedicated premises just up the road from Henry Bucks in O'Connell St, Sydney.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That's their second store, basically (what they call) a hole in the wall. Their main shop is still in Oxford Street. The second premises was Daniel Jones' idea, though Robert has been looking for a new location for a long time now.

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Zink & Sons have thoroughly re-worked their website. Looks great:

www.zinkandsons.com.au

Looks like they're now making made to measure suits, fully handmade suits and women's clothing as well. Interesting. They also have a new gallery up with plenty of photos featuring their tailoring work, which has long been a must. Nice to see Robert & Daniel (and their team) showing off their skills online.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  14. The Seagull

The Seagull New Member

Hi guys

In the sixties, Zink and Sons filled thousands of orders for tailor-made trousers through a menswear shop called Syd Green's of Glebe Point Road, Glebe. Syd was making a killing from the fashion-obsessed Sharpies, a teenage inner-city subculture that dressed in a very different style to the Surfies, the Rockers, the Beatle boys, or any other boys. Every pair of trousers a Sharpie wore was individually designed by him, but the look was always hip-hugging sleek and smart. Zinks never needed to make side pockets, just button-down fobs, and these high-waisted designs carried a two or four button-down waistband with one buckle, or sometimes two, at the back...belts were out and narrow legs, cuffless and sporting a slit, were in. As a Sharpie member myself, I had at least 30 pairs of trousers tailored by Zinks and they were all very well made. I know this because my mother, who made her own clothes, was always complimentary on seeing my latest pair. I'm truly amazed that Zinks has lasted so long, since 1895, and they certainly outlasted the Sharpies, who were starting to fade at the end of that incredible decade of social/economical/political change.

And if you want to read more about Sydney clothes and life in the sixties, buy my book "Out With the Boys: the Sharpie Days" in hard copy at http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop/show/9781921775796 or as an ebook at http://www.amazon.com/Out-With-The-Boys-ebook/dp/B0078C23IU

And I think the Taylor Square end of Oxford Street is pretty tame compared to what it was like in the sixties...that's for sure.

15. The Seagull

The Seagull New Member

Hi guys

In the sixties, Zink and Sons filled thousands of orders for tailor-made trousers through a menswear shop called Syd Green's of Glebe Point Road, Glebe. Syd was making a killing from the fashion-obsessed Sharpies, a teenage inner-city subculture that dressed in a very different style to the Surfies, the Rockers, the Beatle boys, or any other boys. Every pair of trousers a Sharpie wore was individually designed by him, but the look was always hip-hugging sleek and smart. Zinks never needed to make side pockets, just button-down fobs, and these high-waisted designs carried a two or four button-down waistband with one buckle, or sometimes two, at the back...belts were out and narrow legs, cuffless and sporting a slit, were in. As a Sharpie member myself, I had at least 30 pairs of trousers tailored by Zinks and they were all very well made. I know this because my mother, who made her own clothes, was always complimentary on seeing my latest pair. I'm truly amazed that Zinks has lasted so long, since 1895, and they certainly outlasted the Sharpies, who were starting to fade at the end of that incredible decade of social/economical/political change.

And if you want to read more about Sydney clothes and life in the sixties, buy my book "Out With the Boys: the Sharpie Days" in hard copy at http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop/show/9781921775796 or as an ebook at http://www.amazon.com/Out-With-The-Boys-ebook/dp/B0078C23IU

And I think the Taylor Square end of Oxford Street is pretty tame compared to what it was like in the sixties...that's for sure.

16. suited

suited Senior member

I am thinking about having a suit made here. I was quoted $2,900 for the fabric I like (English woven lightweight super 130s birdseye) for hand sewn inner (full) canvassing, functioning cuffs and handmade buttonholes. Anyone have some updates on this shop? There are no tailors in South FL I would ever use for a custom suit, and I don't want to travel out of state for fittings, so I figured I might as well sample something from another part of the world. I saw a picture of a suit in their shop that I really love, so they'd essentially be replicating this suit for me - which is one of the reasons I would be using them. I'd be working with my tailor to get them the measurements, as well as photographs of my shape to achieve the best possible fit.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I had no idea Zink worked in this fashion. You won't get any fittings with them, nor discuss said fit with them in person, but if they're willing to do this for you, you'll have a superbly crafted suit that may need to be altered by your local tailor.