1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheWraith, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

There have been several threads here about tailors in Sydney. Names such as John Cutler, Adamo Marrone and Sam DiSano (among others) have been bandied about. But I've never heard of Zink & Sons before, and I came across their website (address below) purely by accident. Looks quite good. Does anyone here (Sator? Anyone else?) have any information on them? I'm really curious.

http://www.zinkandsons.com.au/index.html

2. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

thats an interesting one. its fantastic that sf has shed light on little gems around oz. cant say i've heard of them before, but thats not to say there not fantastic. i need to live in sydney.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Plenty of good tailors in Melbourne, I'm sure, Wrigglez.

4. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Good find, Wraith. Haven't come across them myself but looks promising. I'll keep my ears open.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

These guys are in Oxford St - have been for years. Shop kind of looks like Val Parks in the city - like it's somehow survived intact from a bygone era. They have begun advertising on the net lately.

Let me make it clear that I have never had any experience with them. BUT... I have heard a story from a family member who had a suit made there a long time ago, and apparently the lapels were out of alignment (i.e. they botched it). I also have an older friend that raved about the suits he had made there in the 70s, but he is hardly what I would term a stylish guy [​IMG]

As a result of the mixed feedback I've never given the place a go, but out of curiosity would love to hear if anyone has had any more recent experience with them...

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

These guys are in Oxford St - have been for years. Shop kind of looks like Val Parks in the city - like it's somehow survived intact from a bygone era. They have begun advertising on the net lately.

Let me make it clear that I have never had any experience with them. BUT... I have heard a story from a family member who had a suit made there a long time ago, and apparently the lapels were out of alignment (i.e. they botched it). I also have an older friend that raved about the suits he had made there in the 70s, but he is hardly what I would term a stylish guy [​IMG]

As a result of the mixed feedback I've never given the place a go, but out of curiosity would love to hear if anyone has had any more recent experience with them...

Interesting, thanks for that, Prince. I, too, would be very interested in hearing more about them.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes I've walked past there many a time when I used to live in Sydney and wondered how they have survived all these years. I agree they are very much in that Val Parks/Fletcher Jones kind of era. I dare say they have survived off old money clients all these years and now the clients are dying off but are not being replaced with younger ones, hence the web advertising.

Can't say I know anyone that has used them though unfortunately.

They are at the dodgy end of Oxford st (darlinghurst end) by the way.

8. Sator

Sator Senior member

I've been meaning to drop in for a visit but have never got around to it. They have been on that historical site for several generations now. I imagine that in days gone by that strip was less dogdy than it is today. Rene Rivkin used to be one of their clients.

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Fascinating. Thanks for the info, guys. Hope to hear more as time goes on.

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I walked in a few years ago..

I walked out very quickly..

I now walk on the other side, if I have to walk..

Lucky I drive now..

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That bad, huh? Wonder how they've stayed in business so long...

12. Prince of Paisley

I've been meaning to drop in for a visit but have never got around to it. They have been on that historical site for several generations now. I imagine that in days gone by that strip was less dogdy than it is today. Rene Rivkin used to be one of their clients.

Need we say more?

[​IMG]

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Need we say more?

[​IMG]

He did wear some decent suits at times, though.

14. Prince of Paisley

True, though he did often look more like one of Bijan's clientele.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

16. Sator

Sator Senior member

I don't think I've read a thing yet in this thread that says anything useful for or against their ability to cut and tailor. I have looked into their closed premises through the window myself, but won't judge a book by its cover.

17. Prince of Paisley

^^^Quite right - we're just having a bit of fun keeping the thread alive until someone pops up who knows something.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^^^Quite right - we're just having a bit of fun keeping the thread alive until someone pops up who knows something.

Exactly right. I know nothing about them, hence this thread in the first place.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I had a quick look at their website, and they certainly have quite a history (established in 1895) which obviously says something about them.

I can't help thinking that perhaps all they are missing is a new fitout and some better marketing which would bring in some new younger clients and the clothes are in fact great and they have all of their business based on word of mouth or passed down through the generations, much like many of the Savile Row firms who struggled with the old money clients dying off before guys like Carlo Brandelli came along and worked out that you can actually market Bespoke very well to a different type of clientele.

Their cut is English according to the site.

20. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

I have a book that's 11 years old which describes Zink's as the "legendary tailor" of Sydney.

Having never been there myself, I can't back such claims.