• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
The issue with HK bespoke, be it shoes, suits etc, is they use sub quality materials (shoes especially).

Zee uses french calfskin. The leather is very stiff which is good quality.

Another poster said that his new business source for leather is of a lot higher quality from his old source.

But then again, you get what you pay for. Can't expect the best at this price for bespoke.. hehe
spam[1].gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
The issue with HK bespoke, be it shoes, suits etc, is they use sub quality materials (shoes especially).

But one good thing is, you can always provide you own leather.
laugh.gif

yes, some of the materials are not the best, but not the worst either.
I have a pair of Alden it look good at first, but after few years wear, the upper cracks.
I have another pair made by Mayer at almost the same time, it leather is still in good shape.
So, I would said if you are looking for the best, then go to EG, G&G, Foster, JLltd, etc. You won't find it from HK shoemakers, but if you want a decent pair of shoe in a good price, you may try.

I've been visit the workshop of Zee's, I think for my understanding, the consturction is more like a blake rapid shoe. I don't know how to upload the video, but I do have few clips of .mov of how they make the shoe.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be french calf but I found their leather quality to be mediocre at best. The leather seems to crease quite easily and the pores are very sparse and pronounced. I couldn't say that the quality of leather is any better than say, Alden or AE. Fishball: From how he explained it to me today, it sounded EXACTLY like blake stitch rapid. Internal stitching first, then a second welt stitch that attaches the sole.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photographic report on my new Zee's: black captoe golashes. Excuse the EG trees, those are the only spare trees I have. Overall, the shoe is solidly constructed with blake rapid stitching. The uppers were closed well with consistent stitching throughout, however, leather edges are not entirely clean as "hairs" peak out here and there. Welt stitching on the underside isn't channeled and is entirely exposed to the wear and tear of pavement walking. Nice beveled waist. On the flip side, the leather quality is questionable. There are mysterious creases around the lace holes. The leather stank of chemicals and a thick layer of waxy substance covered the leather, making it look corrected grain. Having seen their original leather samples, I'm convinced that it was just a case of poor polishing. I used diluted paint thinner and rubbed off all the gunk and re-polished it back to its full luster. Fit is good, however, the leather is so stiff that areas around the heel, ankles, toes would easily sore. Nevertheless, I'm positive the leather will soften up after a couple of more wears. For $190, these are a steal.
zee1.jpg
zee2.jpg

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but if you order welt at Zee, they do the sole open channel.
If you order it without welt, they do close channel sole.

Nice shoes, btw.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
I don't know why, but if you order welt at Zee, they do the sole open channel.
If you order it without welt, they do close channel sole.

Nice shoes, btw.

they not hand welted - i would have thort you would have know that!

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $200 bucks, not bad at all
wink.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luk-cha,

Did I said "hand welted"? I didn't.
I was just saying the open or close channel, not hand or machine.
They "out source" the outsole stitching at Wanchai. I know where it is, and I know the guy who do it.

Do the "see fu" at the workshop know how to do the hand welt? Yes, they do. They just don't want to do.

I thought you know Zee's "out source" the order to the workshop, so Zee's doesn't do doesn't mean workshop can't do.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Luk-cha,

Did I said "hand welted"? I didn't.
I was just saying the open or close channel, not hand or machine.
They "out source" the outsole stitching at Wanchai. I know where it is, and I know the guy who do it.

Do the "see fu" at the workshop know how to do the hand welt? Yes, they do. They just don't want to do.

I thought you know Zee's "out source" the order to the workshop, so Zee's doesn't do doesn't mean workshop can't do.

yes of course i knew this, but what they dont do a close channel on the machine welt well i guess it is the same reason that people like C&J BG, churches, ae or alden dont too, cost, skill, machinary limitations or like you said just dont want too! or a combination of all my guest as to the reason is the machine limitations wont allow it but i have not been to the place in wan chai so you would be more clearer than me on whether or not they could do it closed channel or not

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Are you two competing for the title of worst English spoken on the internet?

i get my spelling from the PG skool ! if yourse not 2 shor then just mayk et up az yourse go along

ether that, or i am too lazy too lazy to spell check on a MONDAY MORNING!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads