• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most expensive restaurant bill?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Most I've spent on wine was $15, its usually about $4.

This is hard to do, even by the glass.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Here.

In Naples, I noticed that the near-universal price for house wine (Campanian red or white) was 5 euros for 500ml. Not quite $4 but close.

If you tried to go all aficionado on them and ask what it was they would look at you blankly and say "It's wine." Followed by a mutterance of "What the hell did you ask for" or something like that.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In Naples, I noticed that the near-universal price for house wine (Campanian red or white) was 5 euros for 500ml. Not quite $4 but close.

If you tried to go all aficionado on them and ask what it was they would look at you blankly and say "It's wine." Followed by a mutterance of "What the hell did you ask for" or something like that.

They actually make some nice wine down there. I think I've only had good wine at the Yacht Club and at l'Europeo. Everywhere else is the stuff you describe.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
They actually make some nice wine down there. I think I've only had good wine at the Yacht Club and at l'Europeo. Everywhere else is the stuff you describe.

Restaurants had nicer stuff by the bottle at good prices. I got a Barbaresco at one place for 15 euros. My hotel bar had Brunello (2003) for 8 euros a glass, which is good for a hotel bar.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Biggest tab I've picked up was ~$7k at Per Se for me + 10 friends.

Biggest bill per person that I've been in was $5k for 4 of us at Wolfgang (Zweiner)'s Steakhouse on Park Ave. Not even sure how that one happened.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
$2500-$3500 is pretty much the norm in NYC restaurants for Screagle.

Uhh not if it's 14-15 years old. Have you seen the prices on a '95 or a '96? I sure did.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I really did not think it was worth it (not that I paid for it). And I'm not a cab hater, I love cabs. But there are wines I like more that cost a lot less. For that kind of $$ I'd much rather take a flyer on an old, rare Bordeaux or Burg.
In all sincerity ... I typically limit my wine purchases to $125 a bottle when paying retail ... perhaps double that at a restaurant. And ... note that I said limit. There are many wines in my celler that are in the $30 range ... and I'll often find a $75 bottle at a restaurant that suits me well.

Now, for a special occasion wine, I'll go north of $125. The price of a bottle of Screaming Eagle is for a VERY special occasion. It's not often that I would spend that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

That said ... my first bottle of Screaming Eagle was a gift. I was totally unaware of its cost or quality. We were headed to Carmel for the weekend and stopped at an In-and-Out Burger. Guess what we opened. Maybe that's why I was so impressed with the taste. I wasn't expecting anything in the league we had.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
In all sincerity ... I typically limit my wine purchases to $125 a bottle when paying retail ... note that I said limit. There are many wines in my celler that are in the $30 range. Now, for a special occasion wine, I might go north of $125. The price of a bottle of Screaming Eagle is for a VERY special occasion. It's not often that I would spend that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

That said ... my first bottle of Screaming Eagle was a gift. I was totally unaware of it's cost or quality. We were headed to Carmel for the weekend and stopped at an In-and-Out Burger. Guess what we opened. Maybe that's why I was so impressed with the taste. I wasn't expecting anything in the league we had.

I would never pay that kind of money for Screaming Eagle again. If I had a chance to buy a case, I might do it for its potential as an investment, however if I had to drop 4-5 figures on wine it would be on a great Margaux, which is my favorite 1st growth. Second would be Lafite. Still, I have a problem spending that much money on wine.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Seriously? Who in their right mind would willing pay $8 - 10000 for a bottle of wine?
Unless infalation runks amuck ... I can't imagine that in my limited days left on earth.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
$600 doesn't buy me **** in South Korea. truth.
frown.gif
$1200 wouldn't buy me ****. I bought hamburgers and wine one night this summer, for 3, and the bill was close to $750.
If I got on a plane to Tokyo, smuggled back a $300 grocery basket + some wine and dropped it off with people with enough skills, then maybe, but that'd still cost me a grand or two.
frown.gif

You seem to like the word ****. I think you full of it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I would never pay that kind of money for Screaming Eagle again. If I had a chance to buy a case, I might do it for its potential as an investment, however if I had to drop 4-5 figures on wine it would be on a great Margaux, which is my favorite 1st growth. Second would be Lafite. Still, I have a problem spending that much money on wine.
Please don't misunderstand ... I am not suggesting that I'd limit four figure wine purchases to Screaming Eagle. Moreover, there won't be that many four figure purchases ... not even for investment. I don't invest in wine.

EDIT: I've had Screaming Eagle only once at a restaurant ... at La Toque in the Napa Valley ... and I wasn't picking up the tab that evening. A couple of other bottles were gifts ... and I purchased two for a special dinner at home. Not one of my purchases was north of $1300 ... probably the most I've spent (even when adjusting for inflation) on a bottle of wine at any time in my life.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Question- how do you bring your own wine / do corkage if you are doing a tasting menu / dont know the menu beforehand / etc?

I rarely spend more that 50 pounds a bottle. My wine taste buds are so crap that even that is lost on me.

K

Look online. Most restaurants post their menus.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Well, the real question is, can a California wine really be that good?
Not > $1,000 good, but what is? Some amazing Chards in the $60 ($200 in a restaurant) range, however. 2005 ZD Chardonnay Reserve and 2005 Ferrari-Carano Tre Terre Chardonnay are so very lovely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads