1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your most expensive restaurant bill?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mm84321, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

My most expensive bill was at the Okura in Tokyo. Can't remember exactly how much it was, just that I was shocked.

The food was great, but not that great.

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Something like $350 for 2 in Reyjavik.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Shark?

4. SField

SField Senior member

hahah what was it? 4 glasses of Johnny Walker Black?

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

Or maybe it was more like $500. I can't remember. Doesn't sound like much compared to some of the bills in this thread.

It was reindeer medallions in puff pastry and rock ptarmigan with morels, along with 4 other courses, drinks, and a bottle of wine.

6. SField

SField Senior member

Or maybe it was more like $500. I can't remember. Doesn't sound like much compared to some of the bills in this thread.

It was reindeer medallions in puff pastry and rock ptarmigan with morels, along with 4 other courses, drinks, and a bottle of wine.

It was a joke about the prices of things in Iceland.

Sounds delicious though. I love game.

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

Oh, true. I had the most expensive and shittiest salad ever in Iceland. The grilled cheese and canned asparagus sandwiches were good, though (3)

8. SField

SField Senior member

Oh, true. I had the most expensive and shittiest salad ever in Iceland. The grilled cheese and canned asparagus sandwiches were good, though (3)

Most canned vegetables are absolutely awful, but canned asparagus may potentially be one of the most terrifying things I could imagine eating.

9. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

When I go to a nicer restaurant I typically opt for corkage, in part for the cost, but mostly because I have wines I've been saving for occasions, and these seem like good ones.

Depending on the size of the party, a combination of wine pairings and bottles brought along typically works very well.

In this regard, it's really not that easy for the bill to get into the range of other posts here, which signal that we're really talking about the most you've paid for wine at a restaurant.

Even inclusive of the cost of the wine I brought, food, corkage, a couple of cocktails, tax and tip, I don't believe I've ever paid much more than about $1K for dinner for 2 ($500/head).

To put this in perspective: the last time I was at the French Laundry, the bill was about $700: dinner for two, one bottle (corkage), one wine pairing (split among two people). I paid well under $300 for the wine I brought.

10. grmanny

grmanny Member

$1580. alinea for four including a split pairing!

i know when i got to urasawa, the bank will be broken

11. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

2K. I crapped myself outside afterwards so cleanup wasn't added on to the bill. It was in Uruguay. Fucking Uruguay!!!!!! No it was awesome. There was a shit ton of us getting epic in a Mallmann restaurant. But seriously I crapped myself.

12. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

Mallmann had the good grace to talk to us and offer a couple of bottles. So I didn't feel too bad crapping myself.

13. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Vetri in Philly. Two people, tasting menu with wine pairings. $650 tax & tip.