• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Man Style Advice

jwagner15

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the style forum, and thought that as a first post I would ask about fashion for high school guys or college students. I am going to be a freshman in college next year and was wondering if any of you had tips on how to dress well, but not step over that invisible line that turns you into a "rich kid" or "puss" since you wear nice things. I don't know if college is different than highschool, but I get asked everytime I wear a collared shirt that isn't a polo what I'm dressed up for. For me the key seems to be color. I wear yellow nike indoor soccer shoes (also have black adidas sambas for different situations), or a red sweatervest, or kelly green sweater. All of these have been popular with people. So really I am asking for tips for a young male in an environment (high school, college) that isn't really conducive to dressing well.

Also, I was wondering about what color of Ray Ban Wayfarer's I should get, black or red? I think black will go with more, but would red be edgier and more hip (Not in a hipster sense though, nothing worse than hipsters, lol).

Thanks!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Where's the suicide smilie?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You going to Udub?

jwagner15

Reaction score
No, I am going to Santa Clara, out of state in Cali.

What is the suicide similie? I don't get it, but I might just be thick.

hnlax

Reaction score
we had a similar thread a bit back about a kid going off to college asking about jeans.

so, i'll start by saying the biggest revelation to me in college was a pair of dark jeans. i used to wear light jeans pretty religiously, but dark jeans go with just about everything, and they don't show stains as much as other jeans. so, if you want to try raw and/or selvedge jeans, look into crate/apc/kmw/flat head/samurai/ande whall jeans for a pair of jeans that will go with everything that you'll be able to wear in and make them you.

people in college won't ask you "why are you dressed up" because people haven't got the time

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What school do you go to? What city are you from? The suburbs of Washington are filled with boring dressers, so expect them to try to give you **** for your fits.

jwagner15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
What school do you go to? What city are you from? The suburbs of Washington are filled with boring dressers, so expect them to try to give you **** for your fits.

I live in a suburb of Seattle with a bunch of microsoft kids. I showed up with a sweatervest, and an untucked collared shirt beneath it, and the reaction was similar to me showing up in a tux.

Washington wear is split into three categories:
1. Light jeans and black north face jacket with boring t-shirt beneath
2. Fake skaters/football players who think zumiez is the height of cool
3. Kids who don't know what they are doing, and only dress because they have to

Its pretty bad up here, plus the sky is always gray, making it like a school of Mr. Smiths.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
I used to live in Seattle, nice place except for all the rain! You should head downtown sometime though ... the fashion scene is certainly a lot more interesting there than the situation you're describing now.

The first thing you have to acknowledge is what do you want to wear? Just going through the motions isn't worth the effort or money. My advice is to lurk for a while and decide what appeals to you.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwagner15
I live in a suburb of Seattle with a bunch of microsoft kids. I showed up with a sweatervest, and an untucked collared shirt beneath it, and the reaction was similar to me showing up in a tux.

Washington wear is split into three categories:
1. Light jeans and black north face jacket with boring t-shirt beneath
2. Fake skaters/football players who think zumiez is the height of cool
3. Kids who don't know what they are doing, and only dress because they have to

Its pretty bad up here, plus the sky is always gray, making it like a school of Mr. Smiths.

Welcome to Renton!

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwagner15
... making it like a school of Mr. Smiths.

Mr Smith goes to Washington?

pridecake

Reaction score
key is fit. That'll be the biggest difference between you and others in college. Hit up some places for cheap and well fitting basics(H&M, uniqlo, AA, Alt A, etc). Dark denim is versatile, try a pair of APC's or crates for a good simple slim pair of jeans. If money is tight, levis, uniqlo or H&M stuff could work too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics