• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Man Style Advice

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is "Washington" the real washington or the state? In the case of the latter, just wear some dirty camping gear and be done with it.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dressing well and dressing appropriately are two different things in college. While the fratboy douche look probably wouldn't fly here, girls like it and it's both an acceptable and flattering look. Large biceps+tight polo (in pink, orange, etc.) and a pair of jeans and you're set in most large colleges... ****- any fitted clothing and a good body and you're fine. The best part about high school and undergrad is that you don't have to drop money on clothes to look good... just a gym membership.

To illustrate my point- this guy is probably getting anything he wants.
DoucheBag.jpg

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Dressing well and dressing appropriately are two different things in college. While the fratboy douche look probably wouldn't fly here, girls like it and it's both an acceptable and flattering look. Large biceps+tight polo (in pink, orange, etc.) and a pair of jeans and you're set in most large colleges... ****- any fitted clothing and a good body and you're fine. The best part about high school and undergrad is that you don't have to drop money on clothes to look good... just a gym membership. To illustrate my point- this guy is probably getting anything he wants.
So are you saying we should endorse douchebaggery and attempt to dress like these guys? I think it goes without saying that if you make your fashion decisions based on whether or not you will get laid, you are probably in the wrong place to ask for advice. With that said, most of the people who've learned more about style from this site usually report an increase in interest from the opposite sex. The difference is that was not their primary goal, it's just a great side-effect of finding your style. Nothing wrong with a gym membership!

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Well, I'm graduating from Washington State University in a few days, so I think I can offer some good advice.

First, I completely agree with your post about that North Faces and skater looks from Zumiez, soooo true.

Basically I tend to shop at Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, Mario's in Seattle, Ian, Blackbird, ZebraClub (Bellevue, Seattle), American Apparel and J. Crew

Jeans: Pretty much everyone in College wears Sevens or R&R's... Be original, you will see people with money going to school in Cali, wear some APC's, KMW's, 501 selvedge, those are mainly what I wear. Everyone once in awhile I'll break out some Citizens or Kasils, which are both good too.

And please for the love of God, do not wear sandals with your jeans dragging on the ground. Wow I hate frat boys.

T-Shirts: I wear a lot of plain American Apparel t's the tri-blend ones. I try and find something original at ZebraClub, sometimes ..........com has some decent stuff. Stock up on plain white t's and American Apparel or Urban Outfitters zip hoodies, I am constantly wearing them.

Basically everyone in college either wears Ed Hardy deusch bag stuff, or they are still stuck in High School wearing Abercrombie and American Eagle ****.

Polo shirts: Just don't pop your damn collar, and get some classic Lacoste's or Ralph Lauren's

Don't get the Burberry's with the check pattern on the inside collar, so many damn guys have those and they don't look good.

Shoes: Creative Recreations, Adidas Stan Smith's, maybe some Chuck's

Jackets: This is a tough one, North Face dominates Washington. But an M-65 or a conservative bomber won't draw too much attention, and looks good.

L/S Button-ups: Whatever you want, this is mainly for the bar scene. Don't show up at a house party wearing a damn button-up.

Basically my suggestions are based on your description of not wanting to look like a stuck-up rick Microsoft brat from Redmond. My Dad works at Microsoft, so I know what you mean.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
So are you saying we should endorse douchebaggery and attempt to dress like these guys? I think it goes without saying that if you make your fashion decisions based on whether or not you will get laid, you are probably in the wrong place to ask for advice.

With that said, most of the people who've learned more about style from this site usually report an increase in interest from the opposite sex. The difference is that was not their primary goal, it's just a great side-effect of finding your style.

Nothing wrong with a gym membership!

It don't embrace douchebaggery to quite that extent, but the Abercrombie look is a college standard. I do agree that popped collars are excessive though.

I guess that basing it on getting laid isn't the best wording- how about social acceptance? We all knew that one kid with the suit and briefcase in school. We all avoided him too. It's fine to dress well, but it's easy to overdo in a young crowd.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It don't embrace douchebaggery to quite that extent, but the Abercrombie look is a college standard.
This thread continues to deliver.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dressing well and dressing appropriately are two different things in college. While the fratboy douche look probably wouldn't fly here, girls like it and it's both an acceptable and flattering look. Large biceps+tight polo (in pink, orange, etc.) and a pair of jeans and you're set in most large colleges... ****- any fitted clothing and a good body and you're fine. The best part about high school and undergrad is that you don't have to drop money on clothes to look good... just a gym membership.

I'm at uni too, and I agree with what you're saying. These are some things i've discovered

Dressing like a douche will get you lots of girls, and clamydia. Adding in fake crocodile/clown shoes, 2 or more necklaces, and a large white belt will will confirm contraction.

If you want to score girls without clamydia, you can make some modifications to the douche look:
Polo shirt: good, but without popped collar
Cap: exchange for a cheesecutter or possibly fedora (although with this you'll have to reduce the douchebaggedness of everything else you're wearing), but only when it's cold. Or go without the cap. No frosted hair.
Jeans. everyday. every occasion.
Belt: of the wider variety to fit jeans. Can possibly get away with a large buckle. Black with black shoes, brown with everything else.
Shoes: Avoid square toes if possible. No fake crocodile or clown shoes please.

I know, i'm only a junior member, so some senior is gonna put me back in my place.

peace

Kregg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IamAllen
im still new to this style thing
frown.gif

i need all the help i can get

Just busting your balls. You'll be wearing OCBD's and Clarks in no time.

Eupfhoria

Reaction score
kinda in the same boat myself, except I've been going to college for awhile now. Within the last 6 or so months I've realized that I ******* hated all my clothes though, as they were all from highschool and ergo were all ******* terrible/fit poorly/reminded me of **** I don't wanna remember.

I feel this post is great advice, and if I would've done something similar I could've definitely saved some time and money:

Originally Posted by robbie
For future reference this could all have been asked in our handy NOOB threads.

Take a 1 week (or longer) break from this forum.

Take a picture of what you are wearing forseven days, and then after that week come back and post the pictures of what you've worn in the WAYWT

While you aren't visiting this forum do the following:

Day 1, Seperate clothes into 2 camps
1- clothes you like/wear
2- clothes you don't like/wear

Day 2, Construct what you feel are your best and worst fits and write a paragraph as to why.

Day 3, Window Shop online. Don't spare any expense, don't be practical... construct a head to toe outfit of pieces you don't own but would own if you could afford/could find etc.

Day 4, Determine what changes could make your worst fit better.

Day 5 Determine what changes could make your best fit better.

Day 6 Browse both WAYWT threads and pic atleast 3 posters whose style you admire.

Day 7 Post your 7 fits (all at once, preferably small pictures that don't jam up the page) and brace yourself for constructive and not so constructive criticism.

Keep posting after that first weeks worth of posts. You'll learn alot from people's response. If it sucks they'll let you know, if its mediocre but okay no one will likely say much, if its great you'll hear.

Everyone is going to mention the following as well. LURK.

My best advice is don't buy anything for 3 months. Don't buy a single thing clothing related that isn't a necessity (underwear, socks...). Really figure out what you've got as far as a foundation goes, and take some time to come up with a blueprint for what you want to look like in 3-6 months. It isn't an overnight thing.

after paying attention to clothing long enough your own taste will sort of come. You may not find yourself having anything resembling a personal style or aesthetic but you'll know what you like and dislike, and you'll make fewer regrettable purchases this way atleast IMO.

My personal 2 cents: don't dress the way everyone else is just to 'fit in', as some others have suggested. That's ******* stupid.

Dress how you want to and in what you feel comfortable with (although I guess this philosophy might be what leads almost everyone in my college to dress in baggy jeans, A&F/AE, and ******-looking tshirts...meh, whatever)

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Well, I'm graduating from Washington State University in a few days, so I think I can offer some good advice.

First, I completely agree with your post about that North Faces and skater looks from Zumiez, soooo true.

Basically I tend to shop at Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, Mario's in Seattle, Ian, Blackbird, ZebraClub (Bellevue, Seattle), American Apparel and J. Crew

Jeans: Pretty much everyone in College wears Sevens or R&R's... Be original, you will see people with money going to school in Cali, wear some APC's, KMW's, 501 selvedge, those are mainly what I wear. Everyone once in awhile I'll break out some Citizens or Kasils, which are both good too.

And please for the love of God, do not wear sandals with your jeans dragging on the ground. Wow I hate frat boys.

T-Shirts: I wear a lot of plain American Apparel t's the tri-blend ones. I try and find something original at ZebraClub, sometimes ..........com has some decent stuff. Stock up on plain white t's and American Apparel or Urban Outfitters zip hoodies, I am constantly wearing them.

Basically everyone in college either wears Ed Hardy deusch bag stuff, or they are still stuck in High School wearing Abercrombie and American Eagle ****.

Polo shirts: Just don't pop your damn collar, and get some classic Lacoste's or Ralph Lauren's

Don't get the Burberry's with the check pattern on the inside collar, so many damn guys have those and they don't look good.

Jackets: This is a tough one, North Face dominates Washington. But an M-65 or a conservative bomber won't draw too much attention, and looks good.

L/S Button-ups: Whatever you want, this is mainly for the bar scene. Don't show up at a house party wearing a damn button-up.

Basically my suggestions are based on your description of not wanting to look like a stuck-up rick Microsoft brat from Redmond. My Dad works at Microsoft, so I know what you mean.

This guy.
+ Over 9000.

jwagner15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412

Okay, after reading this I don't feel so lost. I wear a fair amount of polo shirts, but never would pop the collars. I have light blue, white, and black lacoste polos, so I think I am set on that. As far as shoes I have Adidas Sambas 60s, which are classics (IMO), and some yellow Nike indoor shoes for when I want to meet new people (First thing people notice, and a great ice breaker).

I was thinking I would buy a La Merde jacket, the Cape Cod one, and then get some plain tees form AA. For jeans though I am still sort of lost on the whole fit, so I am going to wait on those.

mc25

Reaction score
My university wardrobe consists of:
Tshirts: Just average tshirts, some billabong, some other shiet, but most are pretty fitted. Nothing baggy.
Polos: I have a few striped polos and a couple solid ones. Ive never tried the pop collar, and dont think i will.
Shorts: A few misc coloured cargo shorts, grey, khaki etc. And 1 plaid short.
Jeans: A black/grey pair, and a few blue pairs, one darker wash. All straight leg boot cut, some slim fit. I want to get a pair of lighter wash.
L/S Button ups: Misc. Blacks with stripes, blue with stripes etc. Some times roll up the sleeves.
Shoes: Pair of clarks boots, some sketcher style black shoes, adidas for casual days, quiksilver beige flip flops, and others.
Jacket: Tommy hilfiger brown bomber, levi military style jacket, columbia athletic fit softshell
Sweaters: V neck usually, 1 cardigan and some others.

Mainly, i wear stuff that is well fitted, and slimming.
Quick summation, but there you go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads