Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Young Man Style Advice

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jwagner15, May 4, 2009.

1. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

For future reference this could all have been asked in our handy NOOB threads.

Take a 1 week (or longer) break from this forum.

Take a picture of what you are wearing forseven days, and then after that week come back and post the pictures of what you've worn in the WAYWT

While you aren't visiting this forum do the following:

Day 1, Seperate clothes into 2 camps
    1- clothes you like/wear
    2- clothes you don't like/wear

Day 2, Construct what you feel are your best and worst fits and write a paragraph as to why.

Day 3, Window Shop online. Don't spare any expense, don't be practical... construct a head to toe outfit of pieces you don't own but would own if you could afford/could find etc.

Day 4, Determine what changes could make your worst fit better.

Day 5 Determine what changes could make your best fit better.

Day 6 Browse both WAYWT threads and pic atleast 3 posters whose style you admire.

Day 7 Post your 7 fits (all at once, preferably small pictures that don't jam up the page) and brace yourself for constructive and not so constructive criticism.

Keep posting after that first weeks worth of posts. You'll learn alot from people's response. If it sucks they'll let you know, if its mediocre but okay no one will likely say much, if its great you'll hear.

Everyone is going to mention the following as well. LURK.

My best advice is don't buy anything for 3 months. Don't buy a single thing clothing related that isn't a necessity (underwear, socks...). Really figure out what you've got as far as a foundation goes, and take some time to come up with a blueprint for what you want to look like in 3-6 months. It isn't an overnight thing.

after paying attention to clothing long enough your own taste will sort of come. You may not find yourself having anything resembling a personal style or aesthetic but you'll know what you like and dislike, and you'll make fewer regrettable purchases this way atleast IMO.

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

I live in a suburb of Seattle with a bunch of microsoft kids. I showed up with a sweatervest, and an untucked collared shirt beneath it, and the reaction was similar to me showing up in a tux.

Washington wear is split into three categories:
    1. Light jeans and black north face jacket with boring t-shirt beneath
    2. Fake skaters/football players who think zumiez is the height of cool
    3. Kids who don't know what they are doing, and only dress because they have to

Its pretty bad up here, plus the sky is always gray, making it like a school of Mr. Smiths.

That is 'burb wear. Better looks are downtown, esp Capitol Hill, even Ballard.

(FWIW, I like the weather here most of the year!)

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

how the hell are you supposed to impart a sense of style on someone? i dun get it.

4. clarity

clarity Senior member

Do a search for like "freshman" or something, you'll find other threads with this exact topic.

"omg college in the fall I want to style myself up!"

Basically get stuff that fits well. Black and dark indigo jeans will go with absolutely any shirt you could possibly buy. Maybe a pair of slim-ish chinos for fresher looking outfits. You don't need to do anything radical, you would be surprised at how well good fitting basics look with some slight layering/color play.

We can't really tell you what to wear or what's "you".

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Sweetheart, if you weren't getting laid before, a reinvented college "you" in a pair of KMW's and a BoO overdye won't be getting laid either.

fuck the internet and hit the gym...and maybe get a couple plain things from h and m.

6. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

7. Kregg

Kregg Senior member

Seattle style-steez = Braidkid, Brutus and J

Learn from them via WAYWT

Steezless in Seattle?

8. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

9. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

that is if they posted

bah! WAYWT + search button = [​IMG]

10. kinetic

kinetic Senior member

That is 'burb wear. Better looks are downtown, esp Capitol Hill, even Ballard.

(FWIW, I like the weather here most of the year!)

+1 for Ballard and Blackbird.

11. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

Ian in downtown Seattle is also pretty good, they have a nice range of brands and prices. Just wear what you want to wear for college, who cares if your tasteless friends give you shit for wearing button-up shirts. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of good stores in Seattle, just go and check them out and try things on, find brands you like, etc.
    If your that worried about peer approval for college than start selling drugs, everybody likes the drug dealer, and then they won't give a shit over what your wearing.

12. unexpected

unexpected Senior member

honestly, a lot of this depends on the school you're going to, if you want to "fit in". Where I went to school, that was basically jeans/chino/madras shorts with a lacoste polo.

Most of your warddrobe in college is going to be casual. If I could do it over again, the only thing I'd invest in now would be raw selvage jeans. Those would be absolutely sick after four years of wear. So, search different jeans threads to find a pair you like.

You can wear those everyday. As for "tops", most of the time you are going to wear the latest free t-shirt they were handing out/the sorority t-shirt you bought b/c you were trying to get with the girl selling it to you. Invest in a few casual polos.

I did have a few button downs for when we went to specific clubs, but remember for the majority of college you'll be at house parties/frat parties/on the beach/whatever.

Don't invest in too nice of duds. You're going to put on 20 lbs anyway, you're going to have sand and beer spilled on them, etc. Save the money for bitches and booze.

Just get the jeans.

13. stoneb

stoneb Senior member

Posting some pictures might redeem you, but if you are wearing button-ups and sweaters to highschool, my guess is that you look bad and try too hard.

14. IamAllen

IamAllen Member

i just keep it simple...solid color shirt from AA and a my 501s