• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

you know when you're an SF'er when

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also your car is unsured for less than your wardrobe.
Depends upon the car -- or cars -- you drive. Oh wait, it's still true ... several times over.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im not complaining, but its a little bit like 1984. There is no evidence that a poster named "Melanzana" ever existed. This does scare me about the internet. History can be changed. This is unimportant in this case, but if its happening here, its happening everywhere. We have an example where something historical has been excised our of existance.

. In 1984, they had to physically cut all the inconvenient historical references ever written out of the books, papers, etc. Now its just a line of code. This is different from moving to the dumb thread section, where it continues to exist. "Melanzana" comments just never happened.

do not invoke their rage.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you seriously think a homeless person would care if the shoes or coat you're giving them had been worn before...?

A homeless guy by 7-11 rejected 2 of my Alfani sportcoats. I had to take them to Goodwill.

Wasn't sure how I should have felt after that...

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A homeless guy by 7-11 rejected 2 of my Alfani sportcoats. I had to take them to Goodwill.

You should have felt fine. If he did not want them, he did not want them. Perhaps he did not want to lunk around extra clothing / baggage, you ask him if you need a reason for his rejection.

Just do what seems fair and reasonable to you, and if you have a good heart, nobody will think any better or any worse for it.

Would it bother you if I rejected your sport coats? Nope, then it should not bother you some random stranger in the street rejected them - whether he is homeless or not is besides the point. If you are really concerned about your feelings or his feelings, then go to a christian board or psychiatry board to discuss the politically sound maxims of giving to charity.

Something strange is happening in our society, polical correctness has fucked so many people up. Where once common sense was a good gauge for ethics, now it has to make way for litigation. How far do we take it: Cant buy that Loro Piana sport coat because reflecting style or wealth may be deemed offensive to the poor?

Last edited:

hellodocks

Reaction score

At least I think little boy. Now go follow the sheeple. Assuming you'reold enoguh I bet you're an Obummer voter
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
a) I'm old enough. b) I'm not. c) Get the **** off this forum.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Let's hope so. A lot of muck was stirred up and it was not pretty.

Well, you know you're an SF'er when your shopping with your wife, you critique her shoe selection, and show concern about how difficult that particular pair would be to coordinate with her wardrobe.

I've been guilty about doing this and it's actually one of the SF traits my wife finds endearing. I think it kind of freaks some of the saleswomen out though.

antikantian

Reaction score

When you have an accident (like falling in a river while drunk) and realise that the mobile phone you just lost was the cheapest thing upon your person.

Also your car is unsured for less than your wardrobe.

Yes to both.

I experienced something similar a few years ago. I was walking home with two friends and there was a homeless couple on the corner. We decided to buy them some soup from a nearby restaurant (this was late autumn, so it was rather brisk outside), and when we gave it to them they said (I'm not even exaggerating), "we don't eat that low class ****." I was in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, I think this was in the 70's or 80's and Lexington, so it wasn't from some random hole in the wall restaurant. Needless to say, I enjoyed the soup myself.

This experience was counterbalanced a few months later. I was out with five friends and we went to an Italian restaurant somewhere in the UES. We didn't realize it was a "family style" menu with gargantuan portions, so we each ordered individual dishes. We probably only ate a small percentage of what we ordered, so we boxed up the rest, hopped into my car, and went driving around. The church near the Ralph Lauren mansion on Madison always has a lot of homeless people sleeping there during the night, so we distributed the meals, for which everyone was very grateful.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the feeling. I took some Polo Ralph Lauren suits to a homeless shelter and they refused them.

One guy got all huffy and was like OH WHAT SO YOU THINK CUZ IM HOMELESS ILL WEAR ANYTHING? THAT **** AINT EVEN FULL CANVAS GET THE F*** OUTTA HERE.

Maybe he was an SFer. If you're reading this, that was uncalled for. I was just trying to be nice.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel this way about $100 bills. You ever try to pay for things with these? ****, nobody will take them. I try giving them to homeless people and they wipe their asses with them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I feel this way about $100 bills.

They work fairly when when you palm one to a maitre'd. On the other hand, he probably changes them for $20s.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They must think you're her gay friend..
It's so much easier when the couple is same-sex, same-size, same-taste, same-income ... and both SF members!

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Like Neo and InStitches...
I just thought they were one and the same. I can hear it now: "Hey, do you mind if I wear that little chalk stripe Anderson & Sheppard number of yours tonight?" Not if you let me borrow your Edward Green split toe loafers." Okay ... but if you scuff 'em ... you are so not getting any for the next week!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads