• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bexcellence

Reaction score
Paid over $100 for a Hugo Boss dress shirt. The fit is nice and all, but the problem is its very easy to see through. You can clearly see my undershirt underneath and I dont really like that. Question is... is it a bad thing to be able to see through someone's dress shirt, or is this just something I dont like?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
having trouble understanding this, is the shirt very thin or something?

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Try wearing a grey undershirt. And no, I don't like people being able to see my undershirt either. Most people don't care either way.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return it and buy a better shirt, Boss is horrendously overpriced. With white shirts, it can be an issue, but the fabric should not be so thin as to make it really obvious. Or rather, it shouldn't be that thin unless you want something really lightweight to help keep you cooler, but you would have to understand that people would be able to see your undershirt.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lose the undershirt and put band-aids over your nipples.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Bexcellence

Reaction score
having trouble understanding this, is the shirt very thin or something?

feels like its thin. It's very slim though, with a nice spread collar. guess thats why it was so expensive. But I'll probably return it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

feels like its thin. It's very slim though, with a nice spread collar. guess thats why it was so expensive. But I'll probably return it.
It's expensive because Boss charges more money then they should for their quality because they're perceived as a premium brand, a perception that has largely to do with the pricetag they put on their stuff. Yeah, it may fit nice and have a nice collar, but there are higher quality shirts with those same qualities at half the price, from brands that just don't have as good a marketing department, or just just have a different corporate ethic, one that revolves around good product at an honest price rather than good marketing, sub par product at a higher one.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK, Boss shirts generally are not made with exceedingly thin cotton for their black label. Orange label tends to be where they cut loose on design a bit more. What do you mean by seeing through to undershirt? If you wear skintight stuff, it is inevitable that the undershirt will show up, be it via creasing or actually visible unless cotton is very thick. Check the fit of the shirt. This should not even happen to a Walmart brand shirt, and I would figure Boss would be better quality than those.

Lose the undershirt and put band-aids over your nipples.
Welcome to Styleforum.

I always look forward to your posts :fistbump:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens even on higher end stuff, it's just a factor of what fabric was used. I have a sweet Attolini shirt that does this, for example - the fabric is just that fine. I just wear it with a jacket, also worn it a time or two almost as a casual shirt in the summer. Undershirt both ways, of course.

If you feel compelled to wear it without an undershirt, don't forget to bandaid your nipples. :nodding:

bjornb17

Reaction score
Very common problem on white shirts with lighter weaves, i.e. poplin. I just learn to live with it. Shirts with non-iron treatment tend to suffer from this problem more, but non-iron shirts are not to be worn anyway :slayer:

Last edited:

Bexcellence

Reaction score
this is their Boss Black brand. Maybe I'll return it and buy a Brooks brothers extra slim. A
AFAIK, Boss shirts generally are not made with exceedingly thin cotton for their black label. Orange label tends to be where they cut loose on design a bit more. What do you mean by seeing through to undershirt? If you wear skintight stuff, it is inevitable that the undershirt will show up, be it via creasing or actually visible unless cotton is very thick. Check the fit of the shirt. This should not even happen to a Walmart brand shirt, and I would figure Boss would be better quality than those.

I always look forward to your posts
fistbump.gif

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own several of the recent Boss line shirts. They seemed to have changed the material. I kind of like it... Instead of feeling like traditional cotton, it feels more synthetic but also feels sturdier --- and like you mentioned, the material can be slightly translucent (I didn't grab any pure whites). Not sure what they did to the cloth.

You can try wearing a grey undershirt beneath the dress shirt, it will show less. Or throw a jacket over it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads