• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB 40L Tux for March 1 Event

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to track down a 40L, notch or shawl lapel, single breasted, slim fit black tuxedo for a March 1 event. I am pretty open minded about other sartorial details based on what the entire ensemble looks like. I am 6'!" with a 34" waist; I don't have any more exact measurements on hand for my body size (shoulders), but I can of course get myself measured.

In past years, I've settled for renting, but I think now it is time to invest in something of my own. I'm on a modest budget, so nothing too extravagant, but I'm interested in what's out there. Does anyone have any inventory matching this description or could point me toward a good retailer for someone looking to spend under $500 (pre-owned is fine)?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For about five hundred, we can make one up for you if you send detailed measurements (by a tailor), and a complete set of photos. It could be in before March 1. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested. This would use English fabric in around an s110. You can send pictures of the item you want.

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you'd considering going with separate trousers and dinner jacket, I still have these:
NWOT RL Polo Black flannel tuxedo trousers
these are tagged 40L with Corneliani label (suit orphans); measure 34" waist; inseam unhemmed
these are flat front and have sliders and no belt loops; they do have buttons for braces
tags says 'Blue Label' for model, but have Polo tag
composition is 95% wool, 5% cashmere
offered at $100, shipped
10-tux-1.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at the measurements on this one. I have it listed as a 38R, but the tag says, I believe, 41. The approximate measurements are listed, but it may be to short. econd is a Chipp One Button Peak lapel Tuxedo with grosgrain lapels, buttons and trouser stripes. The tux is labeled 40R, however the measurements point more to a 37 or 38. It is a light-weight wool. Asking $100 shipped CONUS. There is one issue. The trousers have had an insert added at the center rear. This adds about two inches to the waist and lets out the seat a bit. From everything I can tell (and you can see it in the pics) a tailor merely split the rear seam, as you would in letting out or taking in any pants, and added a V shaped piece of cloth that could just as easily be removed. Removing it would return the waist to 36" or, further reduction could be taken from there. The questions I've been getting indicate a concern that the trousers would still be to large at the waist even with the insert removed. I said above that removing the insert would return the waist to 36". However, that would be at the fullest extension of the waist. If they were returned to their original condition (which should be no problem for a quality tailor) you would turn in an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half of fabric on each side of the rear seam and be left with an original waist size of about 33". As with any pants you could take them in some from the original waist size, meaning they can reasonably go down to a 32" waist or slightly less. Jacket Chest Pit to Pit 20 3/4 Sleeve 24 Shoulder 17 Length 30 Waist at button 19 1/2 Trousers Waist 37 1/2 with 2" insert Outseam 44 Inseam 31 3/4 only about an inch turned under PM me with any questions or interest.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lytton, are you by chance going to a gala in Philly that night? If so, I'm going to the same one and am also looking for a tux/
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads