• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing Instruments

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score

1. Japanese pens: From left three are Pilot custom 74s, and the (red) on the right is a Platinum 3776.

If you're located in Japan, don't forget to check out Sailor. They offer perhaps the smoothest and finest nibs I've come across (on modern pens at least). They also offer some really interesting specialty nibs: http://www.nibs.com/SailorSpecialtyNibs.htm

My next purchase would be either a Pilot Custom 742 or 743 (the next two levels up from the Custom 74). The former is about 20,000 yen and the latter 30,000 ($200-300USD).

Good choice. I have a Pilot Custom 742 FA that I could not be more happy with.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These days I've been using the Lamy 2000 rollerball with a Pilot G2 broad refill. Generally I never handwrite anything longer than a signature unless it's in Teeline.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you're located in Japan, don't forget to check out Sailor. They offer perhaps the smoothest and finest nibs I've come across (on modern pens at least). They also offer some really interesting specialty nibs: http://www.nibs.com/SailorSpecialtyNibs.htm
Good choice. I have a Pilot Custom 742 FA that I could not be more happy with.

Thanks! Definitely sailor has been on my radar. Any recs for something comparable to a Custom 742, but from Sailor? I don't know their offerings as well as Pilot.

Last edited:

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
The Sailor 1911 Realo and 1911 Large is pretty similar in size to the Custom 742. Sailor 1911 M/Standard is comparable to Pilot 74. The Pilot pens are somewhat longer when posted. I think that the 1911 line is called Profit in Japan.

As I prefer piston fillers, I really like the Sailor 1911 Realo (at least since they changed the piston design). But as far as converters go, the con-70 in the Custom 742 is as good as it gets. It's easier to operate and holds more ink than Sailors standard converters. So it depends on which filling mechanism you prefer and how important it is for you.

If I were to choose between Sailor and Pilot, I would get another Realo if I needed a regular/non-flex nib. But Sailor has nothing that compares to the flex that the 742 falcon nib delivers. It is quite unique among modern pens.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my old Lamy M63 mine was empty and I replaced it with a new one. Now I often have breaks/gaps when writing, sometimes it just stops writing for 1 inch or so. Am I doing something wrong? I don't press very hard. But a rollerball shouldn't really need much pressure, right?

Last edited:

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Rollerballs clog easily. Run it under hot water for some time. Then apply pressure on the tip against some paper and start writing.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, thanks, but didn't help. It's mostly the strokes that go from right to left (if that makes any sense to you).

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Sailor 1911 Realo and 1911 Large is pretty similar in size to the Custom 742. Sailor 1911 M/Standard is comparable to Pilot 74. The Pilot pens are somewhat longer when posted. I think that the 1911 line is called Profit in Japan.
As I prefer piston fillers, I really like the Sailor 1911 Realo (at least since they changed the piston design). But as far as converters go, the con-70 in the Custom 742 is as good as it gets. It's easier to operate and holds more ink than Sailors standard converters. So it depends on which filling mechanism you prefer and how important it is for you.
If I were to choose between Sailor and Pilot, I would get another Realo if I needed a regular/non-flex nib. But Sailor has nothing that compares to the flex that the 742 falcon nib delivers. It is quite unique among modern pens.

THANKS for the info; this helps. There is a place near me that stocks both Pilot and Sailor, and once a month they run a 20% off sale... ;)
You know my next request... POST SOME PICS of your pens. Would like to see them.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I would recommend using a Pilot gel refill in Lamy and Rotring rollerballs. Better, lighter, cheaper.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is I still have 8 left. And they're supposed to be a little better quality than Pilot, from what I've read at a few fora (and much more expensive too ;)). So I'm a little confused why I have so many problems with them.

I'll definitely look into Pilot refills though.

Last edited:

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score

Hm, thanks, but didn't help. It's mostly the strokes that go from right to left (if that makes any sense to you).

I still think it could be a clogging issue. Repeat the advice until it works. If it does not, keep reading. :)

It could be the paper or ink. Some inks doesn't flow as well as others, and many kinds of paper can lead to skipping, due to the paper not turning the ball properly. That it skips one way and not the other could depend on how you apply different pressure when you angle the pen. Do you use the same ink and paper as before? If you do, I can only think a feed problem or that the ink in the refills has dried out. How old are the refills? Some dry out quicker than others. You could always try and dilute the ink or try another refill. The feed can be sensitive of how you put the refill in. If you press it to far, it can lead to not enough ink reaching the ball. But that should not be dependent on which way you write. Try fiddling with the refill, releasing it some.

I guess my main advice to you is to start experimenting. You're not going to break the pen.

THANKS for the info; this helps. There is a place near me that stocks both Pilot and Sailor, and once a month they run a 20% off sale... ;)
You know my next request... POST SOME PICS of your pens. Would like to see them.

If you're okey with phone camera photos (I have no camera in the office), I've snapped some pictures with my Galaxy S3. I try to post them next week. The pictures are quite bad, so no expectations.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you're okey with phone camera photos (I have no camera in the office), I've snapped some pictures with my Galaxy S3. I try to post them next week. The pictures are quite bad, so no expectations.

No worries; mine were also snapped with my Iphone and the pens sitting on my desk. So, definitely not a professional job! haha

But, given that this thread probably won't be constantly updated, and give that there aren't many dedicated, informative pen/writing threads, it would be good to put as much as we can on this one while we are all "here" and involved.

Obviously, Fountainpennetwork and such is great, but overwhelming for those just browsing. SF is a place we know, so it's nice to read small threads like this even if the focus of the forum itself isn't directed at that activity (I'd rather read about things here than elsewhere).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

No worries; mine were also snapped with my Iphone and the pens sitting on my desk. So, definitely not a professional job! haha
But, given that this thread probably won't be constantly updated, and give that there aren't many dedicated, informative pen/writing threads, it would be good to put as much as we can on this one while we are all "here" and involved.
Obviously, Fountainpennetwork and such is great, but overwhelming for those just browsing. SF is a place we know, so it's nice to read small threads like this even if the focus of the forum itself isn't directed at that activity (I'd rather read about things here than elsewhere).

No kidding, that's where I got my ink AD from. bottle after bottle after bottle and finally I broke it off!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No kidding, that's where I got my ink AD from. bottle after bottle after bottle and finally I broke it off!

Yep, many of the specialty forums are great, but are tough for a casual viewer. Same with basenotes, thefashionspot, etc. You go thinking, "hey, I like pens. Think I'll take a look" and then see 914,000 different posts about everything including technical blueprints for a nib that cost more than your first car.

Like that cologne your sister gave you for Christmas? Hey, basenotes! BOOM! mathematical analyses of the Chanel date code system, a chemical breakdown of synthetic aoud, and a dissection of why 1978 Labdanum is necessarily different from 1979. lol

That's one thing I like about SF; yeah, it's not a "pen" or fragrance or whatever specialty site, but it's what I'm used to, and where I"m comfortable. It's like your neighborhood bar; the beer selection may not be so great, but sometimes having a 143 page menu of selections is just TOO much. :lol:

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's one thing I like about SF; yeah, it's not a "pen" or fragrance or whatever specialty site, but it's what I'm used to, and where I"m comfortable. It's like your neighborhood bar; the beer selection may not be so great, but sometimes having a 143 page menu of selections is just TOO much. :lol:
+1. Well stated. :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads