1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Instruments

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Miguel Antonio, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

What's your preferred luxe brand?

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I prefer the grand American names for the reasons that they are well-designed, high-quality and often not too expensive especially compared to modern luxe pens.

I also like some of the Italian labels like Delta and OMAS.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I prefer pencils, seriously. I have a luxe pen and mechanical pencil but more often than not, I use a mechanical pencil.

5. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

I've not thoroughly explored the great world of writing instruments. Currently, the decidedly non-luxe Lamy 2000 is my favorite, though I'd love to get my hands on an Omas or any of the higher end models of the Japanese companies. There are really too many pens out there.

6. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I have always preferred a pencil

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hakase offers a genuine tortoise-shell fountain pen that I would like to get. I'd also like the '40s era Eversharp that was made out of solid platinum.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I use a Staedtler lead holder and a collection of Rapidographs.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I have a montblanc that's alright, but for my money I think nobody makes a better pen than Papermate.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

12. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

I've not thoroughly explored the great world of writing instruments. Currently, the decidedly non-luxe Lamy 2000 is my favorite, though I'd love to get my hands on an Omas or any of the higher end models of the Japanese companies. There are really too many pens out there.
    I also have several LAMY 2000 inc some LTD (sterling silver & ceramic) Looking at some Parker 51 & 100's & soma Waterman's (as trillogy if i can get complete sets) Like the vintage Parker & Waterman that are jugent/art nouvau. Def. not Montblanc, although some vintage pieces are nice

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

14. selbsttatig

selbsttatig Senior member

I'm currently using a Nakimi/Pilot pen that was really cheap. I'd like to upgrade to something else in the future though.

15. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I use either a Nakaya, reclaimed wood pencils, or a Smythson pencil.

16. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

I use either a Nakaya, reclaimed wood pencils, or a Smythson pencil.

I think, eventually, an urushi Nakaya will be my perfect pen. A big orange cigar. Or black, or red, or who knows.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The urushi Nakayas are nice but I'm not swayed by the cartridge/converter and its inconvenient carrying method. If you add that clip, it ruins the lines; but then how will you use it on a daily basis?

18. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I think the clip works better with the Piccolo model, which I have, than the Cigar. What I love most about the Nakaya is its understatement, and to me the clip doesn't detract much from that.

The cartridge/converter is a drag, and the custom fitting over the internet hasn't yielded much tangible benefit. But it functions well and the lacquer is very nice.

19. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

nakayas are bespoke pens or only the urushi models? i write with an old french fountain pen i could not make out the name.
    i don't write as well with modern mont blancs though so perhaps i should go somewhere and have the french pen looked at so they can tell me what to get.

also which brand makes a really beautiful maki-e? i've seen some sailor, nakaya, and namikis. any others brands i should be looking at?

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

After years of having a nice gold pen that was a gift from my dad, I now enjoy the simple utility of Uniball or Gel pens. The ink flow is terrific. To me, they are to pens what Levis are to pants. A great performing, inexpensive, all around classic.