• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing Instruments

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Lamy 2000 rollerball as my new daily driver. I actually prefer writing with a fountain pen, but have gotten sick of the mess over the last few years. The 2000 is a nice, classic, design.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
These are my two workhorse pens that get use daily.

Usually the Namiki Vanishing Point sits in my lab coat pocket for signing documents; this really is the perfect fountain pen for doctors. (It is typically either filled with Noodler's Old Manhattan or Blue-Black.)

Usually the Lamy 2000 goes in my bag and accompanies me wherever I go; it is used for charting, marking, and random everythings. (Right now it's filled with Noodler's Red-Black, but I'm not so sure I like it. I just may mix a touch of black in with my bottle to make it a bit less "rusty" and instead a bit deeper and bolder.)

287201331_xwPK9-L.jpg

The VPs are nice convenient pens to use but are a bit heavy and the convertor system is useless for refilling.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump. But I'm finally getting an Aurora 88 LG with chrome cap. All I can said is...finallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly! I wanted that pen for so long.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing like grading total crap with fine writing instruments.

1. Japanese pens: From left three are Pilot custom 74s, and the (red) on the right is a Platinum 3776.

2. Other fountains: L to R: Cartier Diabolo, Cross MiA (for Paul Smith), and Parker 25.

3. Rollerballs and ballpoints: Parker 88 Place Vendome, Dunhill Sidecar, Cross/Paul Smith, and a sailor for Maruzen maki-e.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collection.

I recently bought myself a Lamy 2000 roller ball pen. I'm happy so far.

BTW, you can modify some 2$ pen into supporting Mont Blanc mines... You won't have the best haptic, but at least you'll have the mines.

Last edited:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My normal work pen is a vintage Parker 51 but it was in need of repair so it's been out for a couple months and it may be a couple more before it's done. In the meantime I'm using my Pelikan M-215 which is a little flashy for work (I work in a shorts/t-shirt/flip-flops/Bic Stic environment....not that I conform to that norm obviously), but it's quite the nice writing pen and I do enjoy using it everyday.

xpress

Reaction score
I'm working with my daily Mont Blanc Starwalker rubber and platinum (ball).

Need to press through pages, so the roller was beneficial.

Absolutely love the rubber grip, but the platinum gets dirty pretty easily.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm no expert in the technical aspects of pens, and mostly just go by experience and use (I use my pens a lot!)

Of all of them, pound for pound, the Pilots win the day IMHO. The two Custom 74s are probably my favorites, and priced at about $125 retail (10,500 yen) can't be beat. Sailor and Platinum also make very nice MiJ pens in the $100-150 range.

I don't own any Montblanc, for two very subjective reasons: (1) I've never been given one as a gift and (2) with my own money, never found one that I liked enough to stomach the price.

My next purchase would be either a Pilot Custom 742 or 743 (the next two levels up from the Custom 74). The former is about 20,000 yen and the latter 30,000 ($200-300USD).

Overall, Pilot in Japan is like Toyota... they make a Corolla, and they make a Lexus. Take the Pilot "lexus" for a spin and I doubt you'd go back to a Montblanc (which, in price, is like comparing the Lexus to a maybach)

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a pelikan m200 as an intro value pen. Good idea? It seems like I might be able to get one for 60, 70.

Last edited:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. I love the Pelikan M200 pens and have had a few in the past. Good solid pens that are pleasant to write with and can be had at good prices usually. I've had a lot more expensive pens, and they were certainly nicer in some respects, but value for dollar on an everyday use pen the M200 series is a solid choice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it's a good idea. I love the Pelikan M200 pens and have had a few in the past. Good solid pens that are pleasant to write with and can be had at good prices usually. I've had a lot more expensive pens, and they were certainly nicer in some respects, but value for dollar on an everyday use pen the M200 series is a solid choice.
+1. A very good choice. I have a couple that have served me well over the years.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great, now you guys have me looking at pens again. FWIW, I use mostly fountains at the office and sometimes at home:

A recent Parker that the gent at Dromgoole's talked me into (writes like a fire hose, unfortunately)
A Lamy Al-Star with 1.1 nib
TWSBI 540 (clear pen, piston-fill) that's pretty much my daily-use.

And unfortunately I've assembled a small herd of inks, too. Will never deplete these bastards.

FWIW, I ended up disassembling and cleaning/greasing the TWSBI but I think I sealed it a bit too well and the nib runs dry after a minute or so or writing. I either have to twist the piston down or let it rest a few minutes before using again. Whoops.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great, now you guys have me looking at pens again. FWIW, I use mostly fountains at the office and sometimes at home:
A recent Parker that the gent at Dromgoole's talked me into (writes like a fire hose, unfortunately)
A Lamy Al-Star with 1.1 nib
TWSBI 540 (clear pen, piston-fill) that's pretty much my daily-use.
And unfortunately I've assembled a small herd of inks, too. Will never deplete these bastards.
FWIW, I ended up disassembling and cleaning/greasing the TWSBI but I think I sealed it a bit too well and the nib runs dry after a minute or so or writing. I either have to twist the piston down or let it rest a few minutes before using again. Whoops.

So now in addition to that 2 gallons of Amber Absolute and Chanel PM you've amassed, you've also got a half-gallon of ink, T??? (haha)
Would love to see pics of your pens; snap one and post!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads