Working Buttonholes in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darkoak, Jun 6, 2006.

1. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Can someone recommend a good tailor in Manhattan who can make working buttonholes for a good price? I know folks have had consistency issues with Peppino, so I'd like to hear other recommendations. Thanks!

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I got mine done by Carlos at Summit Tailors in Summit, NJ. He did an excellent job and the handwork on the buttonholes looks great. I know this isn't in Manhattan, but it's pretty close if you want to take a train ride. The other thing is that he's a little more expensive than some of the prices I was hearing for Manhattan tailors (charged me $120 for 8 buttons). Just wanted to give you another option.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Cardelino's on Broadway between 22nd and 23rd will do them for $10 per, by hand. Work is adequate but not great - the shank on the button is too thick, making the hole gape a little.

Also, Wilfred's will do them for $10 per, but machine stitched I believe.

4. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I suggest Bhambis. Nice work, I think $10/button.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Bhambis or Peppinos. I prefer Peppinos.

6. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Turns out the old tailor who does working buttonholes at Peppino quit. Peppino's got a replacement but the new guy is not as good. No word on which shop the old pro went to. Anyone knows?

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Actually, I just took a buttonhole job to Peppinos yesterday. So I will report in a couple of weeks.

8. NYCESQ

NYCESQ Well-Known Member

Try Yuriy at Finezza (29 E. 61st Street, 5th Floor - - - 212 751-2088) just across the street from Barneys. He charges $10.00 per button hole which seems to be pretty much standard pricinf in NYC. I've had him do functional button holes on numerous jackets in the past year and he is a perfectionist.

9. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member

Actually, I just took a buttonhole job to Peppinos yesterday. So I will report in a couple of weeks.

Z, I know this an old thread, but any update on how this turned out? I'm in the process of searching the archives, weighing the opinions and deciding who to take a tux to that needs working button holes and the pants hemmed and let out a touch. Has Peppino gotten over the "rough stretch" he endured on SF earlier this year?

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Z, I know this an old thread, but any update on how this turned out? I'm in the process of searching the archives, weighing the opinions and deciding who to take a tux to that needs working button holes and the pants hemmed and let out a touch. Has Peppino gotten over the "rough stretch" he endured on SF earlier this year?
    Yes, I think Peppinos does a great job. I am very happy with all my buttonhole work they have done for me. He has done a tux for me too - no problem. I have a new Borrelli suit I'm bringing in to him next time I get a free moment (probably not for some weeks).

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

For a second, I thought you said you took a buttonhole job at Peppinos . . .

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

For a second, I thought you said you took a buttonhole job at Peppinos . . .
    I could use the extra income [​IMG]

13. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Sorry for the ignorance but what does this mean? Working buttonholes where? On a jacket? Which part?

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

On the sleeves, where most suits have four nonworking buttonholes, or else just buttons sewn onto the sleeve.

Whether they "work" or not, they serve no real purpose. Unless you're a "surgeon," I guess.

15. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am not a purist, but working button holes on a tuxedo seems a bit much.

Carl