• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Buttonholes in Manhattan

darkoak

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good tailor in Manhattan who can make working buttonholes for a good price? I know folks have had consistency issues with Peppino, so I'd like to hear other recommendations. Thanks!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine done by Carlos at Summit Tailors in Summit, NJ. He did an excellent job and the handwork on the buttonholes looks great. I know this isn't in Manhattan, but it's pretty close if you want to take a train ride. The other thing is that he's a little more expensive than some of the prices I was hearing for Manhattan tailors (charged me $120 for 8 buttons). Just wanted to give you another option.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cardelino's on Broadway between 22nd and 23rd will do them for $10 per, by hand. Work is adequate but not great - the shank on the button is too thick, making the hole gape a little.

Also, Wilfred's will do them for $10 per, but machine stitched I believe.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bhambis or Peppinos. I prefer Peppinos.

darkoak

Reaction score
Turns out the old tailor who does working buttonholes at Peppino quit. Peppino's got a replacement but the new guy is not as good. No word on which shop the old pro went to. Anyone knows?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I just took a buttonhole job to Peppinos yesterday. So I will report in a couple of weeks.

NYCESQ

Reaction score
Try Yuriy at Finezza (29 E. 61st Street, 5th Floor - - - 212 751-2088) just across the street from Barneys. He charges $10.00 per button hole which seems to be pretty much standard pricinf in NYC. I've had him do functional button holes on numerous jackets in the past year and he is a perfectionist.

polarbear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Actually, I just took a buttonhole job to Peppinos yesterday. So I will report in a couple of weeks.

Z, I know this an old thread, but any update on how this turned out? I'm in the process of searching the archives, weighing the opinions and deciding who to take a tux to that needs working button holes and the pants hemmed and let out a touch. Has Peppino gotten over the "rough stretch" he endured on SF earlier this year?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear
Z, I know this an old thread, but any update on how this turned out? I'm in the process of searching the archives, weighing the opinions and deciding who to take a tux to that needs working button holes and the pants hemmed and let out a touch. Has Peppino gotten over the "rough stretch" he endured on SF earlier this year?
Yes, I think Peppinos does a great job. I am very happy with all my buttonhole work they have done for me. He has done a tux for me too - no problem. I have a new Borrelli suit I'm bringing in to him next time I get a free moment (probably not for some weeks).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
For a second, I thought you said you took a buttonhole job at Peppinos . . .

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
For a second, I thought you said you took a buttonhole job at Peppinos . . .
I could use the extra income
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorance but what does this mean? Working buttonholes where? On a jacket? Which part?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the sleeves, where most suits have four nonworking buttonholes, or else just buttons sewn onto the sleeve.

Whether they "work" or not, they serve no real purpose. Unless you're a "surgeon," I guess.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear

I am not a purist, but working button holes on a tuxedo seems a bit much.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads