• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woman loses $24,000 rolex through airport security

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I literally will sit down for a moment somewhere pre-security (or if the line is long, I'll do it in the line) and arrange my stuff so that I have nothing left in my pockets but my ID and boarding pass, and prep my computer/camera gear to be ready to come out of their compartments. No fuss, no muss, faster for all concerned.

~ H

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I had a scare a few months ago when I was flying.

Typically while I'm waiting in the security line I place my watch (Tag Heuer), keys and Blackberry in the pocket of my carry-on before I reach the metal detector.

On this morning, I did my normal routine and went through security with no problem. Then after security when I sat down to put my shoes back on, I reached into the pocket of my bag and my watch was missing!

For a few moments I panicked, thinking that my watch had fallen out on the conveyor belt or been picked up by someone else.

Then I realized that my watch was still on my wrist and not only had I forgotten to take it off, it hadn't even triggered the metal detector.

I was quite relieved
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far nothing to report. I still have my watch and... let me check... my shoes too.

I'll give updates as the day unfolds.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
that is really f'ed up. a person should be entitled to take their jewelry whereever they go, .

Why? What kind of idiot doesn't know that you'll likely be asked to put any metal objects through the scanner in one of those plastic bins if you try to take it through airport security?

To be clear: I am responding only to sho's point, which strikes me as curiously emphatic. I am not suggesting that the fault lies with her -- obviously this shouldn't happen. But while failure to take the kind of reasonable precautions Huntsman and others have outlined (I also put my wallet, cell phone, any else I take out of my pockets into my briefcase or backpack before going through security) doesn't mean one deserves to have things stolen, the notion that one has some inalienable right to take valuable jewelry anywhere one wants without exercising reasonable responsibility for it strikes me as misguided.

skyman

Reaction score
Security guards in a lot of places are the worst. Ever noticed how when you've just been to duty free, or bought some expensive liqour at duty free, the rules about liquids on board suddenly tighten and you are forced to leave at the gate.

Wonder what happens to all these confiscated items...

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
TSA are ******* vampires, **** them.

Perhaps, but at least one of them has a lovely new watch.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Security guards in a lot of places are the worst. Ever noticed how when you've just been to duty free, or bought some expensive liqour at duty free, the rules about liquids on board suddenly tighten and you are forced to leave at the gate.

Wonder what happens to all these confiscated items...

Don't you buy the duty free stuff after you have gone through security?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TSA person at the back end of the conveyor belt cannot be relied on (in practical terms) to keep track of which items go with which traveler. It would not take a lot of skill as a pickpocket/thief for someone coming through the line to snag an item from the person before or after them. And even if you have a completely non-crooked and non-incompetent TSA crew on duty--i.e., the absolute best circumstances--you have no idea whether there are crooks among the passengers.

Bottom line: I don't believe in putting valuables, particularly small and easy to grab items, in the care of TSA. Even if you assume there are crooks among TSA, they aren't the only ones you have to worry about.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT UPDATE : I am now through security and can confirm that I have retained ownership of all my valuables. Thank you

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
IMPORTANT UPDATE : I am now through security and can confirm that I have retained ownership of all my valuables. Thank you

Do you gently place your watch in your shoe, too? I sometimes bring a small cushion with me to make sure the deployment clasp doesn't scratch the back of the watch.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a travel watchwinder because I cannot bear the idea that my watch lays without movement for any amount of time. This custom watchwinder is crafted in the shape of a third shoe (TSA people don't usually bother counting the shoes). I have commissioned one brown and one black.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a travel watchwinder because I cannot bear the idea that my watch lays without movement for any amount of time. This custom watchwinder is crafted in the shape of a third shoe (TSA people don't usually bother counting the shoes). I have commissioned one brown and one black.
Deep down, I've always known that I love you.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
Sig worthy!!

If she had a $24k watch, she should have had enough sense to insure it, and she'll get a new watch...if she was too dumb to insure it, then it's her loss...

+100. If you can't afford to lose and replace the item, buy an insurance rider. Sh$t happens.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
I literally will sit down for a moment somewhere pre-security (or if the line is long, I'll do it in the line) and arrange my stuff so that I have nothing left in my pockets but my ID and boarding pass, and prep my computer/camera gear to be ready to come out of their compartments. No fuss, no muss, faster for all concerned.

~ H

Same here. The TSA is staffed by goons, and other passengers may well be crooks.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Perhaps there is a Cucinelli 12-ply watch cushion/shoe tree for you.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far nothing to report. I still have my watch and... let me check... my shoes too.

I'll give updates as the day unfolds.

The replica I swapped out for your GO is pretty good, no?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

(though I admit that I place it in my briefcase before entering security, along with all the other stuff people usually put in the basket).

~ H

I think this is the best advice. I put EVERYTHING in my bag, then just walk through, grab my bag, and get dressed/put back together on my own time in my own space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads