• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hit/Run Car Accident, No Insurance, Drivers License, Registration AND No Cops?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Eating me up? Are you kidding me? Let me guess? You, too, believe that because the other driver was a teenage girl that she ought get a free pass and be treated differently than say, an adult male would be in this exact same situation?

Doesn't Idaho insurance coverage include uninsured motorist coverage?

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Good work. You're fortunate to have had witnesses to the accident.

Truthfully, I see the witnesses as overkill. The facts and circumstances of the accident (impact points, location, terrain, etc.) make it clear that only the other driver could have been at fault. Then there is the fact that the girl fled the scene: "consciousness of guilt." The theory is that since in most 'criminal' trials the prosecutor has the burden of proving the “mens rea” or intent of the defendant, actions she took to “cover up” her alleged crime are relevant. She fled the scene. She failed to provide legally required information. She had no drivers license, proof of insurance, registration. What information she did provide turned out to be false. If a driver makes a false or misleading statement relating to the accident, knowing the statement was false or intending to mislead, that conduct may show she was aware of her guilt and it should have been considered by police in determining her guilt. I mean, seriously, what else was needed?

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Doesn't Idaho insurance coverage include uninsured motorist coverage?

I never said she was uninsured, rather, she failed to provide me with proof of insurance and her mother provided me with incorrect insurance information. I have since tracked down her actual inurance policy number and company. And even if she did not have insurance and my "uninsured motorist" provision was needed, I still would have had to pay my $500 deductable. Why should I have to pay $500 for an accident I in no way, shape, or form caused or even slightly contributed to? Actually, in this instance, why should my dad have to pay my $500 deductable? Since I was watching my little sister for him and taking my little brother lunch that day, as my dad normally does, my dad had already made it clear that he would cover the deductable for me if it had come to that.

Wait a minute? Are you her mother?
laugh.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The insurance company will sort this out. You won't have to worry about it.Good luck.

Let your insurance deal with it. They have her number and can very easily get the other info.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Um, check your thread title.
eh.gif

Generally, a thread title gets my attention and then I read the post, if not the entire thread, before I make a comment. If you had read the actual post, which it seems you didn't, then you would understand that she intially did not know if she had insurance, then could not provide proof of insurance, but claimed to have it, or at least her mother did.

Seriously, what is your problem? You are the one who seems to be "eaten up" over this and I don't get it. Actually, don't bother to explain as I really don't care anymore. Some people just enjoy throwing gas onto fires and it would seem that is you. You appear to want a pissing contest for some reason so just piss on yourself then.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turn it in to your insurance company, douchebag. That's why you have uninsured motorist coverage.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turn it in to your insurance company, douchebag. That's why you have uninsured motorist coverage.

facepalm.gif

What is wrong with you? The OP has every right to be upset and to do the maximum he can to ensure the other driver is accountable for her idiotic actions. The girl was driving without her license and fled the scene. Without the OP's persistence there would not have even been a police report...

Good for you OP

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP sounds like a pain **********. You called the mayor? Really? Why not just call the mother and say look we both know your daughter had no license just pay my deductible and lets call it good.
Trying to punish the girl- a kid barley older than your sister that is too young to even be home alone for a few hours w/o bursting into tears at the thought of it- is just petty and vindictive. Right now the only lesson she is going to learn is that you're an asshole.
The kid made a mistake but there is no reason to make it into a police matter. What do you get out of all this? Besides the $500?

Let it go, get your insurance to cover it and the mother to pay the deductible, that is what I would have done.

Oh, and I actually was just hit by a guy last week. My brand new car was dented. I did not flip out, did not call the ******* mayor. I think all I said to him was "it happens."
I just got his info and will let him pay out of pocket to have my car fixed. No big deal.

Relax son, life will throw far bigger problems your way.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
OP sounds like a pain **********. You called the mayor? Really? Why not just call the mother and say look we both know your daughter had no license just pay my deductible and lets call it good.
Trying to punish the girl- a kid barley older than your sister that is too young to even be home alone for a few hours w/o bursting into tears at the thought of it- is just petty and vindictive. Right now the only lesson she is going to learn is that you're an asshole.
The kid made a mistake but there is no reason to make it into a police matter. What do you get out of all this? Besides the $500?

Let it go, get your insurance to cover it and the mother to pay the deductible, that is what I would have done.

Oh, and I actually was just hit by a guy last week. My brand new car was dented. I did not flip out, did not call the ******* mayor. I think all I said to him was "it happens."
I just got his info and will let him pay out of pocket to have my car fixed. No big deal.

Relax son, life will throw far bigger problems your way.

With all due respect, are you people stupid?

"Why not just call the mother and say look we both know your daughter had no license just pay my deductible and lets call it good."

I don't have the mother's name or address and she refuses to answer her phone or return calls! She gave me NO information! Did you not read that before popping off your mouth?

"Let it go, get your insurance to cover it and the mother to pay the deductible, that is what I would have done."

So tell me, how would YOU have done that? The mother intially gave me false information. My adjuster tracked her down because I took a photo of the license plate. She has been left a dozen messages by my adjuster and refuses to return his call! Her insurance agent, which my adjuster finally found, won't return the call either.

"I just got his info and will let him pay out of pocket to have my car fixed. No big deal."

That's right. YOU got the guys info! The girl and her mother wouldn't give me any info, as the law requires!

"You called the mayor? Really? Why not just call the mother and say look we both know your daughter had no license just pay my deductible and lets call it good."

I called the mayor because the police did not and would not do their job! I quoted chapter and verse what the law is. The girl and her mother broke the law by failing to provide the information the law requires AND by providing false information. The police failed to uphold the law by getting the information I was entitled to, as the police are obligated, by law, to do. So yes, I called the mayor, since she is accountable to me as a citizen and since the police work for her. And yes, I think the police ought follow the law, too, just as I am required to do.

I am just blown away by how quickly some would just say let it go and let the poor girl off the hook. She is old enough to drive, apparently, then she is old enough to do so responsibly. I am a pain ********** because I want the party who caused my accident to actually pay for the damage? And for the record, I am not doing a damned thing to the girl. Anything that happens or does not happen was caused entirely by HER, not ME!

"Relax son, life will throw far bigger problems your way."

I'm not your son. My commanding office in Iraq did not call me son and you sure as hell are not the caliber of man he is. Yeah, I am sure life will throw bigger probems my way, but when I was 17 years old I had already graduated high school and entered the US Marine Corps on the early entry program to defend my country. Being 17 years old does not excuse poor behavior. Excusing poor behavior leads to more poor behavior, as can be witnessed in this thread. No wonder the country is in so much trouble with people who think like this. Damn, does no one believe in personal responsibility anymore!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, this is not about personal responsibility, it is about you over reacting to a situation.

But first I have to point out how much of a joke this whole situation is. Your brother, who is in high school, needs to have his lunch delivered to him? Everyday? Unless he is in some way disabled - in which case I apologize in advance- perhaps you should be saving your lessons about personal responsibility for him.
Same goes for your sister. 13? My oldest is 10 and he just left the house to go visit a friend a few blocks away. On his own. He stays home from time to time as well.

You seemed to have her number. That is where you start, not the ******* mayor. Personal responsibility you say, where does crying to the mayor and the police chief b/c you might be out $500 (but you don't know b/c you have not really exhausted your options) fall under personal responsibility?
In fact, where does your dad paying your bills at all fall under personal responsibility?

Anyway, get off your stupid law and order kick. This is not the fabric of the social contract being ripped asunder. Not every problem has to be solved with a ******* hammer.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
"Boy, this is not about personal responsibility, it is about you over reacting to a situation. "

Kiss ****** you dick.

"But first I have to point out how much of a joke this whole situation is. Your brother, who is in high school, needs to have his lunch delivered to him? Everyday? Unless he is in some way disabled - in which case I apologize in advance- perhaps you should be saving your lessons about personal responsibility for him."

Your stupidity knows no bounds and is not worth explaining.

"Same goes for your sister. 13? My oldest is 10 and he just left the house to go visit a friend a few blocks away. On his own. He stays home from time to time as well."

When your 10 year old is kidnapped on the way to his friends or gets eriously injured while home alone, you know, in an "accident," then come back and talk about what a great idea it was. And I will remember to thank God each and every day that YOU were not my father.

"You seemed to have her number. That is where you start, not the ******* mayor. Personal responsibility you say, where does crying to the mayor and the police chief b/c you might be out $500 (but you don't know b/c you have not really exhausted your options) fall under personal responsibility?"

I cried to the mayor, as you call it, because the police refused to do their job. The mayor certainly seemed to think it was important enough so that now the police HAVE done their job.

This is about personal responsibility. Everyone of you defending the actions of this girl and her mother are doing so because you think she made a teenage mistake and ought be left off the hook for doing so. Let me guess. When you were a teenager you got into a lot of trouble and you wish someone had "given you a break" and let you off the hook. That is, by definition, a personal responsibility issue.

As to failing to exhaust my options? Apparently, you simply cannot read.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
This is about personal responsibility. Everyone of you defending the actions of this girl and her mother are doing so because she think she made a teenage mistake and ought be left off tthe hook for doing so. That is, by definition, a personal responsibility issue..

Kid, nobody seems to have suggested any such thing. Certainly not I.
I would ask this: what do you hope to gain by getting the police involved? Your $500 or punishment for the kid?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally think the OP took all the right measures. I guess you could call it over-reacting, but I think the circumstances definitely warrant it.

I would have done the same, probably.

Sure, the teenage girl was dumb and irresponsible, but for her mom to behave the same way is completely unacceptable.

Also, not only were the girl and her mom irresponsible, but so were the ******* cops. Come on.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
"...nobody seems to have suggested any such thing. Certainly not I."

"Trying to punish the girl- is just petty and vindictive."

It would seem that, yes, you did suggest that holding the girl responsible, or as you called it, "punishing" her, is petty and vindictive.

"I would ask this: what do you hope to gain by getting the police involved? Your $500 or punishment for the kid?"

I get the information that I was entitled to in the first place and that makes getting the $500 deductable paid more likely. As to what happens to the girl? I have absolutely no say in the matter. I imagine it will depend on what she tells the police when they come knocking.

And my little sister cried because I told her I had been in a car accident. She was 10 years old when I was in Iraq so maybe, if you try real hard, you can understand a little girl being worried about something happening to her big brother. Or is that a concept above your pay grade?

My little brother requires medication to be given at the same time every single day. The school does not permit medications to be brought to school with him so they are brought to him, along with his lunch. He is also on a special diet. None of which excuses your assanine post. You cannot apologize in advance for being a prick.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
The kid made a mistake but there is no reason to make it into a police matter. What do you get out of all this?
WTF? Someone driving without insurance, a license causes an accident then flees the scene then provides invalid information (note OP says mom will not answer calls and provide insurance info) That's not a police matter in your book? Are you insane? I guess when she learns nothing and kills your family after adding alcohol to her list of non police worthy mistakes you'll just give her mom a stern phone call. Say something like: "I don't think the police should be involved, but I do miss my wife and kids. Please tell your daughter to aim away from the passenger compartment in the future?" You're an idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics