• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

azcodito

Reaction score
I've cleaned, restored, resoled a lot of different boots. Leather is resilient and holds up to a lot of abuse. Dish soap is not going to harm your boots. These boots were covered in grease and grime. I cleaned them inside and out with hot water and palm olive soap.

Stevi

Reaction score
So, I have had these 1000 Miles since summer 2013. I started wearing them during September 2013 and after the first two times of wearing them, I had rubber half soles put on them. Fast forward to present day after wet winter conditions at home in Denmark, colder winter in Norway and one heck of a holiday in New York City in February 2014 with heavy snowfall causing major air traffic delays during my stay. The half soles have held up pretty well with only the middle and toes separating a bit which I fixed with glue. But recently I noticed that the right boot had developed a spot where the rubber was loose and had a little hole in it. With the rubber being shot anyway, I pulled it off both boots, only to find this large black patch on the right boot where the rubber had been loose. The rubber had a small hole in it, allowing water to get in.
The patch was much more pronounced at first when I removed the rubber. I treated the soles with leather conditioner which has evened out the color a lot. My plan from here is just to wear the boots as is, as I suspect that putting new rubber over that spot will only make it worse.

Is the leather just waiting to give up? Did I make a mistake by wearing the boots prior to having the rubber half soles fitted? Has anyone seen anything like this?

P.S. I also noticed that the guy that put on the rubber has sanded through the stitches. Is this normal, should I be concerned?

chocobo

Reaction score
Good evening, gents. I've been lustily eyeing the 1000 mile in brown and found the following listing on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-1...12?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item566ee52c58 The price is $247.99 plus $15 shipping, which is a good price, but I'm wary of it being a too-good price on ebay. Does anyone on the thread have any experience purchasing the boot from this seller in particular or purchasing the 1000 mile on ebay generally? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've been shopping for 1000 Miles and have been considering the same thing, I saw that same listing. That's a decent enough sale price compared to previous online deals... but I can't pull the trigger yet, because it's eBay and not a retail store. I've heard of seconds being passed off as firsts being common on eBay, and you just can't put the same trust in an eBay seller than you can in a retail store with a reputation to protect. I'm hoping another sale comes along somewhere else and then I won't have to convince myself to (or not to) buy on eBay.

The same guy had them priced $10-20 lower in the past couple of months, for that good of a price I might have taken the chance.

milw50717

Reaction score
If you only ever buy from retail stores, then you may well miss out on lower prices. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there are many reputable sellers who are online only.

To be honest, that auction looks OK to me

• Good clear images of the product - obviously stock images and not of actual pair of boots that you will receive.
  • Very clear instructions about refunds and exchanges.
  • 18,705 feedback of which 98.8% is positive
  • Member since 04/2006
  • Lots of recent feedback
  • Backed, FWIW and if applicable by ebay's money back guarantee and your credit card if you use that via paypal

Looking at the negative feedback, they are mainly about damaged goods and bad communications. Maybe a case for paying more at retail establishments or taking a risk and relying on ebay money back guarantee (which covers damaged items) and your credit card company.

milw50717

Reaction score

The patch was much more pronounced at first when I removed the rubber. I treated the soles with leather conditioner which has evened out the color a lot. My plan from here is just to wear the boots as is, as I suspect that putting new rubber over that spot will only make it worse.

The dark patch, is it simply leather that has been discoloured by dirt and moisture that went in through the hole, or is it somehow worse than that ?

If it is just discoloured then I don't see why letting it dry out and putting another rubber covering over it would be harmful.

azcodito

Reaction score

So, I have had these 1000 Miles since summer 2013. I started wearing them during September 2013 and after the first two times of wearing them, I had rubber half soles put on them. Fast forward to present day after wet winter conditions at home in Denmark, colder winter in Norway and one heck of a holiday in New York City in February 2014 with heavy snowfall causing major air traffic delays during my stay. The half soles have held up pretty well with only the middle and toes separating a bit which I fixed with glue. But recently I noticed that the right boot had developed a spot where the rubber was loose and had a little hole in it. With the rubber being shot anyway, I pulled it off both boots, only to find this large black patch on the right boot where the rubber had been loose. The rubber had a small hole in it, allowing water to get in. The patch was much more pronounced at first when I removed the rubber. I treated the soles with leather conditioner which has evened out the color a lot. My plan from here is just to wear the boots as is, as I suspect that putting new rubber over that spot will only make it worse. Is the leather just waiting to give up? Did I make a mistake by wearing the boots prior to having the rubber half soles fitted? Has anyone seen anything like this? P.S. I also noticed that the guy that put on the rubber has sanded through the stitches. Is this normal, should I be concerned?
Go find a good cobbler and have him put on a vibram mini lug half sole. He'll glue and stitch it to upper and it'll last a long time.

Mead

Reaction score
After deciging to get the 1000 mile vs.OSB trench boot, I finally got the 1000 miles, I think I made the right choise, I like the desing better, BSB looks a bit clunky to me

Last edited:

SolefulStrut

Reaction score
Recently picked up a pair of Courtlands & have been wearing these & loving the increased comfort each wear.

I'm not seeing the benefits of Chromexcel, however (but I know next to nothing about leather). Everything I've read says that scuffs should come right out w/a good brushing, but that hasn't been the case for me. This tiny scuff hasn't gone anywhere.

It seems there are those that think putting polish on chromexcel is sacrilege. It's only going to take on more scuffs & while they are "work boots", my work is desk diving, so I want to keep them nice. I figure if I go with a slightly darker brown it will give it a burnished look eventually. Anyone else applied colored polish to chromexcel?

mg2380

Reaction score
Recently picked up a pair of Courtlands & have been wearing these & loving the increased comfort each wear.

I'm not seeing the benefits of Chromexcel, however (but I know next to nothing about leather). Everything I've read says that scuffs should come right out w/a good brushing, but that hasn't been the case for me. This tiny scuff hasn't gone anywhere.

It seems there are those that think putting polish on chromexcel is sacrilege. It's only going to take on more scuffs & while they are "work boots", my work is desk diving, so I want to keep them nice. I figure if I go with a slightly darker brown it will give it a burnished look eventually. Anyone else applied colored polish to chromexcel?

I wouldn't apply any colored polish to that scuff. I did that to a scuff when I first got my boots. Even though I used a lighter colored polish, it made the scuff significantly darker. I'd just dab a little boot oil on the affected area.

Personally, I'd just ignore it. When I first got a scuff on my boots, I was like you, and wanted to get rid of it (they were only a week old). I've been wearing my 1K's for 2+ years, and they have plenty of scuffs now. In my opinion, it adds character to them.

Last edited:

nevereast

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]Recently picked up a pair of Courtlands & have been wearing these & loving the increased comfort each wear.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]I'm not seeing the benefits of Chromexcel, however (but I know next to nothing about leather). Everything I've read says that scuffs should come right out w/a good brushing, but that hasn't been the case for me. This tiny scuff hasn't gone anywhere.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]It seems there are those that think putting polish on chromexcel is sacrilege. It's only going to take on more scuffs & while they are "work boots", my work is desk diving, so I want to keep them nice. [COLOR=222222]I figure if I go with a slightly darker brown it will give it a burnished look eventually.[/COLOR] Anyone else applied colored polish to chromexcel?[/COLOR]
Dude, those scratches are going to happen every time you wear them....honestly, I've been where you are coming from and its w fools errand Those will go away and new ones will come up I have applied black polish to one of my pairs and its fine for short term but then it goes away. It also stains the stitching

WestLinn

Reaction score

My only pair of CXL boots are a pair of AE Bayfields. I polished them early on, but I didn't like the outcome and would recommend that you avoid polish. Subsequently, when I want to put something on them, I usually use some AE Aqua Creme in brown which adds some water proof qualities and polishes up nicely. However, CXL often times just requires some brushing and a shine with a very soft cloth (you can use a bit of water spray) and they shine right up. I have a pair of 1000 mile boots, but they are Krause which are the Dublin leather. I love them both and am not afraid of walking through water, ice and snow with either of them. I live in Oregon and have a house in the mountains of Colorado and my office is in a very harsh environment in Washington, so my boots see the elements. But that's why I wear boots.

SolefulStrut

Reaction score
I wouldn't apply any colored polish to that scuff.

Dude, those scratches are going to happen every time you wear them....honestly, I've been where you are coming from and its w fools errand
My only pair of CXL boots are a pair of AE Bayfields. I polished them early on, but I didn't like the outcome and would recommend that you avoid polish.
Yes, I'm familiar w/the scuff=character argument, & I don't disagree. But that scuff appeared on the 2nd wearing :).

Alright, I will just apply a few more coats of Venetian shoe cream to the toes & maybe get some neatsfoot oil to boot. And try to tame my OCD. I appreciate your replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur