• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

giantslor

Reaction score
So, after browsing this thread, I picked up a pair of 1,000 Mile boots at a store here in Austin. I checked them for defects before purchasing, but after I took them home, I noticed one thing: this one stray, wide stitch hole on the side of one boot.

What do you all think? Does this look like a defect?

It did to me. The weird thing is... I already sent them back to Wolverine, and they said it is "just part of the stitching on the medial side of the boot," even though it is not present on other boots. Does this sound legit?
I don't really care about the appearance, but it IS a hole in the boot that doesn't seem like it should be there, so I am worried about it widening or tearing further. Thoughts?

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can we get a full fit pick when you get a chance?  these look very nice, are they sized the same as the boots?

Have these from Orvis and I would say yes, but to me they feel even looser since you don't have the ankle tightness you get from boot lacing. If you didn't size down a full size on your boots, I'd definitely do it with these. Possibly even with an insole.

edit ^^ having read the above I'm not sure who you should believe...

I have Brannock measured 11B feet. I wear a 10.5 in the boot with a thick insole and they still feel loose. I have a 10.5 in the oxford and wear with a thick insole, thick tonguepad and thick socks and they still feel a bit loose. I think some of that probably comes from the thick insole resulting in heel slippage though. I really want to find a completely flat insole for them (ie no raised heel whatsoever) as I need to fill in some space without raising the heel.

I do think you'll want an insole though... they have no padding in the footbed at all.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day of walking a shoreline in knee deep water and mud. Found a few good points, discovered some poison ivy and got eaten alive by bugs but the boots are doing fine. This time around we stuck to the flats instead of going up and down bluffs so they aren't all scuffed up. They're still a bit damp this morning but other than that you would never know what I did. More importantly is the fact that they are still structurally sound.

Moody Allen

Reaction score
Mr. Crane, could you please comment on my issue?

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

digga

Reaction score

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

Check to be sure the bottom part of the tongue (below where it is stitched to the vamp) is not folding down when you put your foot in. I had this problem when I first got my second pair, and I had to shove my finger in there to flatten it out for the first couple days.

edit: I guess its actually the top part of the vamp that was folded down where it meets the tongue. Also, this was on the original 1000 mile, but figured it would be worth checking.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

Hmmmm, did you size down? By any chance do you have a high arch? Another thing that worries me is you say they are comfortably snug width wise. How tight are you lacing them up?

Moody Allen

Reaction score
digga, that doesn't seem to be an issue with my pair, but thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind if I get another pair.

Crane, [FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]w[/FONT]ell, I did size down at least half a size (it is hard to be precise, I usually wear 9-9.5, more likely a 9), because I bought them before I've read this thread with your advise. As for the lacing — it does not matter. I could pull the laces out and it still would be tight in the mentioned area. And I don't think I have a high instep — I've never had any problems of that kind. "Wet test" shows normal results, too.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

digga, that doesn't seem to be an issue with my pair, but thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind if I get another pair. Crane, [COLOR=181818]w [/COLOR]ell, I did size down at least half a size (it is hard to be precise, I usually wear 9-9.5, more likely a 9), because I bought them before I've read this thread with your advise. As for the lacing — it does not matter. I could pull the laces out and it still would be tight in the mentioned area. And I don't think I have a high instep — I've never had any problems of that kind. "Wet test" shows normal results, too.
The boots are too small. If you have a place to try these on follow my advice on how to get the size right and you'll have no problem. From what you're saying I would say you might be between a 9 and 9.5. If that's the case opt for the larger size. Adding an insole or wearing thicker socks will fix the slightly loose feeling if it bugs you. It'll also make the boots much more comfortable on long walks.

Moody Allen

Reaction score
Thank you. I think I will try a 9. Unfortunately, I have to order them online, so it well be guessing again. Hope it works this time!

(why do they suggest sizing down everywhere, anyway?...)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. I think I will try a 9. Unfortunately, I have to order them online, so it well be guessing again. Hope it works this time!

(why do they suggest sizing down everywhere, anyway?...)

Because there's a big difference between street wear use and factory or construction use. Work boots are designed with more room to accommodate thick socks and swelling feet. I'm also inclined to think that people who wear shoes all the time think boots should feel the same way. They shouldn't.

burnso

Reaction score
Hey guys. Few pics of my 2 month old (30 wear) Brown originals.

Treated with Obenauf's LP before first wearing.
Very happy with the colour.

Moody Allen

Reaction score
I managed to find a Brannock's, and it says I am a 8 UK (it is a Salomon-branded Brannock). I guess it is the kind of US-1 size, so I must be a true 9. Because, obviously, I can't be a 8.5 US. So I guess 9 size 1000 Miles should be a spot-on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads