• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I cant decide btw the rust,brown,and cordovan?
I plan on getting a pair of these and a pair of Red Wing GTs in either cigar or blk cherry.
Personally, I'd probably go Cordovan and Cigar, for some variety, since the 1ks are slightly dressier and cordovan's a good work/biz cas color. But you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:

TCUtiger89

Reaction score
Hi. I have been browsing this forum for a while and really really like the 1000 mile (rust). My questions is how versatile can they be. I like to pretend I dress up more than I do, but for work I mainly wear chinos and a BD or polo (yes you can criticize my style, but save for another thread). Will this boot work for a very casual business casual, but also be able to dress down to jeans and up a little to go out to dinner or something? If not, what style of shoe would you recommend as most versatile. I am just out of college and broke, but want a quality shoe, as i have experienced buying cheap and then having to replace in no time.

Other shoes I own:

J&M wingtip oxford
lucchese cowboy boot (I do live in Texas)
boat shoe

Again, after reading SF for a while I understand I am way behind. Point me in the right direction....is the 1000 mile a good addition?

rockcrawler

Reaction score
Quote: I haven't used the LP but I can confirm that SnoSeal darkens the Tans significantly. A bit too much in my case. I went too heavy on the snoseal (with hairdryer to soak in). I definitely wanted to darken them because they were far too light right out of the box but in retrospect I should have gone easier on the snoseal until I acheived the shade desired. My heavy handed method not only darkened them a little more than I would have liked but also made the color inconsistent. Some areas are darker than others, although now, after several months it is starting to even out a little bit.
Bottom line, with either LP or snoseal be PATIENT. You can always go a little darker but it is difficult, if not impossible, to go back lighter.
On the other hand, as Crane's says, eventually they will get darker no matter what you do so most likely all I did was hasten the process.

fathergll

Reaction score

I haven't used the LP but I can confirm that SnoSeal darkens the Tans significantly. A bit too much in my case. I went too heavy on the snoseal (with hairdryer to soak in). I definitely wanted to darken them because they were far too light right out of the box but in retrospect I should have gone easier on the snoseal until I acheived the shade desired. My heavy handed method not only darkened them a little more than I would have liked but also made the color inconsistent. Some areas are darker than others, although now, after several months it is starting to even out a little bit.
Bottom line, with either LP or snoseal be PATIENT. You can always go a little darker but it is difficult, if not impossible, to go back lighter.
On the other hand, as Crane's says, eventually they will get darker no matter what you do so most likely all I did was hasten the process.

When you say heavy handed method, is that because you but too much on unevenly? Either way good idea about taking the safe route, i'd be more afraid of the unven color which I could see easlity by applying too much.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I've decided that my two boot purchases will be the Black Cherry Red Wing Beckman and Brown Wolverine 1k

I've always been a dress shoe wearer (allen edmonds strand, RL Darlton wingtips, etc...) and wear them when I'm dressed in business casual when I teach or when I'm out and need to look presentable.

At all other times, I'm in my dark blue wrangler jeans and something about the dress shoes and denim just didn't sit right with me.
I tried on the RW in person and immediately knew I needed to get boots. Unfortunately I couldn't get access to the Wolverine's but I'm pretty sure the 8.5D will work since that is what fit when I tried the RW's (though the vamp did feel a little tight)

Ok my question is:
I have a shoe care kit for my dress shoes (alden polish and melatonin cream)
I also have Chamberlain's leather milk (#1 and #2) which I use for my Saddleback bags/accessories

Assuming boots are a different beast, would I need a separate care kit to treat boots?

I live in NYC and while I don't intent to wear them in the snow, I may run into occasional puddles and possibly a little snow. I will add a Commando Vibram sole to the Wolverine's.

What would I need to make these boots look good and last as long as possible?

Thanks all

mg2380

Reaction score
I've decided that my two boot purchases will be the Black Cherry Red Wing Beckman and Brown Wolverine 1k

I've always been a dress shoe wearer (allen edmonds strand, RL Darlton wingtips, etc...) and wear them when I'm dressed in business casual when I teach or when I'm out and need to look presentable.

At all other times, I'm in my dark blue wrangler jeans and something about the dress shoes and denim just didn't sit right with me.
I tried on the RW in person and immediately knew I needed to get boots. Unfortunately I couldn't get access to the Wolverine's but I'm pretty sure the 8.5D will work since that is what fit when I tried the RW's (though the vamp did feel a little tight)

Ok my question is:
I have a shoe care kit for my dress shoes (alden polish and melatonin cream)
I also have Chamberlain's leather milk (#1 and #2) which I use for my Saddleback bags/accessories

Assuming boots are a different beast, would I need a separate care kit to treat boots?

I live in NYC and while I don't intent to wear them in the snow, I may run into occasional puddles and possibly a little snow. I will add a Commando Vibram sole to the Wolverine's.

What would I need to make these boots look good and last as long as possible?

Thanks all
See post #30.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/wolverine-721ltd-shell-cordovan-1000-mile-boot-review/15

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want them to last as long as possible without issue you'll need a cleaner (Lexol or saddle soap), boot oil (Chamberlain's #3. Filson boot oil or Obenauf's boot oil) and a waterproofer (Sno-Seal or Obenauf's LP). Using the cleaner and boot oil is pretty simple and self explanatory. Waterproofing is a different animal and there's some tricks to it. I wrote a tutorial on how do do it.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
So shoe polish and cream arent necessary?

Im assuming snoseal needs applying before first use and reapplication over time?

Would these products be used for both boots, considering the RW is featherstone vs chromexcel in the 1k

Last edited:

Mr M

Reaction score
Ok I cant decide btw the rust,brown,and cordovan?
I plan on getting a pair of these and a pair of Red Wing GTs in either cigar or blk cherry.
I avoid earth tone clothing and wear dark indigo jeans. I wear a saddleback leather chestnut belt (actually all my access/bags are chestnut)

My Cordovan with SBL chestnut.

Last edited:

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Thank you Mr.M
Ive changed my final answer to a cordovan no8 wolverine.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score

nice leather stuff Mr M. SB's looks awesome.

I LOVE SBL! The Chestnut is my favorite color and unfortunately hard to get matching shoes for. After Mr. M posted those pic, I think RW Black Cherry and 1K cordovan would be my best choice.

mandragora

Reaction score

I haven't seen any 1K black and tan Addison's on here yet so I thought I'd contribute pictures of my new pair.

I found them to run true to size at 10.5, I'll treat them with Filson's and Snoseal before Minnesota's winter starts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads