1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

I agree, but I think if you're expecting to be dealing with foul weather frequently, White's with a rubber outsole is a better option, especially since it's so close in price, and chances are, you won't come close to shitting them up, due to their more water-resistant construction and they're (almost) entirely leather And for those going hiking, a proper pair of hiking boots is definitely the way to go, and not just because of abuse to the boots.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Quote: pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration in aqueous solutions. Oils, therefore, cannot have a pH.

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I live in Canada where Winter condition is rather unforgiving. I Sno-sealed all my boots to water proof them to make sure I can wear them in snow, slush, ice, freezing rain, and worse of all, salt covered streets and sidewalks. The Sno-seal-treatment certainly does its job and I have seen no degradation of the leather or the seam. And yes, like Mario, I baked my boots after applying the treatment (170F for 5-10 minutes to be precise.)

They are boots, not family jewels. No need to baby them. As long as you take care of them (using whatever shoe care products that tickle your fancy) from time to time, they will be fine.

4. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Glenkaren and Dr. Martens Wonder Balm.

5. misterjuiceman

Goodyear welted boots all have an insole that goes the entire length of the boot; this is integral to the construction of the boot. Most brands will glue a thin piece of leather on the heel portion, but this isn't the insole. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean by heel pad:
    [​IMG]

6. HOT Sriracha

HOT Sriracha Senior member

Yes, the heel pad on the end of the boot that cuts off half way. Is that common? Its more annoying on the left boot.

7. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I just checked and there is one on my boots. I have always used a full length insole in my 1Ks so can't say if it was there from the start or as a result of using the insoles.

8. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

Why don't yall just skip the bullshit and use Lexol for conditioning?

Reasons:

- Thin consistency allows for quick and even application
    - PH balance of 6.8-7.0
    - Does not contain any organic or silicon substances
    - Cheap and available everywhere
    - Patrickbooth approved

1 person likes this.
  9. misterjuiceman

Yep, most boots have that. It's just glued onto the insole. I'd imagine it'll break in to be more comfortable eventually. You could have a cobbler pull it out and fix it, or put a different one in, but unless it's really bad, I'd probably just give it some time.

I should also ask, what kind of socks are you wearing with your boots? I found that my boots were all much more comfortable with wool socks, especially in warmer weather since wool wicks moisture away very well. I like SmartWool and Wigwam a lot, but those are all I've tried outside of wool dress socks.

10. HOT Sriracha

HOT Sriracha Senior member

Do you use the superfeet insole? any feedback on those? I did a quick google search and it seems many folks like them. Thanks.

Thanks. I'll give it some more time....I noticed it at Nordstrom when I tried it on, but thought it would flatten out with more wear. They said if it doesn't just bring them back.

I wear a lot of uniqlo socks that is cotton blend I think. I have some wool socks, but not a lot since I live in CA.

11. SiegfriedFuerst

SiegfriedFuerst Well-Known Member

With regards to the care of roughout. I find it easiest to apply conditioner to the inside of the shoe. Normally lexol because it's easy to spray in there.

12. misterjuiceman

The lighter-weight wool socks from Smart Wool (Sierra Trading Post factory seconds are a godsend) are pretty warm in even hot weather. Wool is much better than cotton at wicking moisture away from your skin, and moisture can lead to blisters.

Nordstrom has a great return policy, so if you're unhappy, I'd bring it back. I don't know if they still take things back that've been worn outside, but I wouldn't be surprised.

13. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Scholls in my 1Ks I believe. I do have some Superfeet in some other boots though and they work as expected. Are they any better than the Scholls is, of course, debatable.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I've tried them, and I have to say that they add a serious amount of structure to the inside of the boot. That can be good, if you find the model that fits your foot and boot, but I found it uncomfortable. When I needed something to fill a little bit of volume in my Indy boots, I just grabbed a pair of Pedag 102 leather insoles. They're about $10 on Amazon, but you need to remember to order a couple sizes up. They run small. For a size 6 boot, and a size 7 foot, I found the size 8 to be a good fit.

15. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

The main issue I've found with Superfeet (and it applies to any "structured" insole, as opposed to simply a flat piece of material) is getting the sizing of the heel cup matching your heel. I've found that the heel cup on Superfeet insoles are too narrow; they gave me nasty blisters. I use "SOLE" brand heat-moldable footbeds, which fit my heels and arches better, and provide all the arch support I don't get from most shoes. YMMV, etc...

16. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I'll just keep asking. You complain about everyone else dodging questions, yet you refuse to answer my very simple question. Is it not "direct and to the point" enough?

17. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Aside from that, I find that superfeet insoles take up a lot of space....at least their "standard" green version.

18. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Yup - anyone who wants to add an insole definitely needs to take that into account. A lot of brands have different versions with different thicknesses too. I put a much thinner model of insole in my longwings, for example, which don't have as much volume as my 1Ks do. I could wear Wolverines in at least a 1/2 size smaller if I went without the insole, but I don't think I'd find them very comfortable without it [​IMG].

19. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Yea I've had the same expirence with structured insoles. I'd like to try the ones cranes posted pages back just to have an actual wolverine brand insole

20. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I think I'd probably recommend going with a company that specializes in insoles. If I need a new stereo for my car, I buy one from a stereo company, not a car company. Best to go with the business that specializes in the product you seek, imho.