• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

boot_owl

Reaction score
Base price for the loafer was 190 + 40 for Explosion topy, and then shipping/paypal fee. Altogether amazing price for a hand welted bespoke loafer. The time will vary depending on what is currently on Emil's plate.

PSA there’s no way he’d do the personal last for that price atm, that would be more like the cost of making the shoes

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually more of a trial shoe for me lol. So, I already have my Museum calf split toes, but there are two areas where the fit can be improved. I had placed an order for two really cool boots out of some awesome leathers, but wanted to do 1 more trial shoe to test the last adjustments before Emil made the two boots. Rather than pay 100 for a cemented trial shoe, I figured might as well pay a bit more and get a regular line loafer, since I almost exclusively wear my Grant Stone Dune Traveler loafers during the summer. Didn't want to spend too much, so went with the pull up, which looks nice, and is a leather that I won't mind abusing.

No, did an online fitting where Emil walked me through the steps on whatsapp to get all the tracings done. From there, had a couple trial shoes, and a pair of Grandeur Line Split Toes. The fit is pretty great, just working on refining it through small adjustments. I'm sure the last would fit even better if I could get measured in person. Emil is always saying that my last is part of his education, and using it to learn. Right now, I don't believe online bespoke is available, but it could be coming back in the future.

Think someone said earlier that the price for regular sole+ topy wouldn't be too different from price of JR Sole. I don't think it would make much sense to put topy on a JR Sole either, but topy on regular leather makes a lot of sense. Gives you the appearance of leather soles from the edges, but grip and durability of rubber. Plus, when the topy wears out, you can just get a new topy put on instead of resoling.

I think with GYW, your supposed to resole after some years, just because of moisture. Is it the same for Handwelted shoes?
Thank you very much for these insights. You gave me just the nudge I needed. At first I was going to start with the trial shoe, but now I think I'm going to just jump in and use the MTO java lizard loafer itself as the trial shoe. I think it has a pretty good chance to fit me fine. And I think I'll be able to visit Bandung sometime in 2021, and anything toward a personalized last will be a richer experience doing it in person.

ifticar2

Reaction score
PSA there’s no way he’d do the personal last for that price atm, that would be more like the cost of making the shoes

That is true, the base cost of 190 + 40 for topy does NOT include the price of the personal last. I paid for the last when I paid for these. Now that the last is made, I can get regular line shoes on my personal last.

Again, I don't believe online bespoke is available at the current moment, but it could come back in the future.

Kivi D

Reaction score
How do you guys usually contact him? I reached out via email but I don’t get a response until a few days later, after I send a follow up one.

kingtranq

Reaction score
How do you guys usually contact him? I reached out via email but I don’t get a response until a few days later, after I send a follow up one.

Indonesia boot/shoemakers on emails are some sort of a meme because they dont check them, just message them on instagram

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Usually I just email and wait. I'm never in a rush when it comes to shoes haha.

However, I typically don't require a follow-up email. Not sure if this is a defense of the delayed response time, but they happen to be busier than usual.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ticho has organised a new GMTO

8D51C8D0-25BC-4589-8351-0BFAE48042E3.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads