• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will MTM copy a best fitted jacket? or...

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I've decided to give made to measure a try, but not sure were to start... Do MTM tend to have a set way of doing things? I am nervous most mtm's will just make me a suit/jacket in my measurements the way they want. I figure I would want to show them a jacket so they get a good idea of what I want, higher arm holes, and slim shoulders etc. And then improve upon it if possible. I have a hard time finding jackets with the right fit for a smaller frame, 35" chest. My best jacket is a slim 34. I've found 36's that fit reasonably well too, but rarely are they not flawed in some way to my taste. Anyway, I want nicer fabrics, and think it would be nice to choose. I figure the time I spend looking would suffice a higher price. I'm in montreal, which has a lot of MTM, bespoke, after looking online. In fact I've seem many more that aren't online even. I have a tiny shop a few blocks from my house I'm thinking of asking some questions there maybe. I'm quite nervous about the trust/money wasted factors. I heard to go to places only, that have stocks of fabric and in house tailors. Here are some webesites, do any of these look ok? http://www.tailleurdattilio.com/cgi-...c=41335&lang=2 made to measure suit 645$ deals on pants seems good price. http://www.gtonino.com/bespoke.htm have bespoke, can't find pricing anywhere but prob too much since bespoke. http://www.gamachetailleur.com/ Have jackets starting at $400 doesn't give much info, or english. http://www.canada.com/topics/lifesty...d-73b90e5c37a1 Tony the tailor, actually found somegood reviews online about this place. suits 575$ and up, sport jackets $425 jackets and up. Relatively what I desire to pay, There alot more, but way out of my price range like... Harry Rosen Russell Custom clothing Pellegrino Castronovo couture thanks for reading. Anything on your mind I'd like too hear.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of the tailors you posted, but MTM is generally done off of existing suit patterns and is not customized to the degree you desire. You need to find a MTM tailor whose basic patterns fit in the way you like.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
This is sorta of what I thought. I guess I'd have to go have a word with each.

I figure if they're cutting a suit/jacket, getting it sized and shaped to the customers desire would be they're job. But I guess if a place makes sack suits, they're just gonna make a sack suit to my size right?

If this is the case, I don't see the point of MTM at all really.

So Kobalto, what your saying is find a place that has lapels, button stances, slimmer cuts, etc, more or less the way I want in they're house cut, and go from there?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery
So Kobalto, what your saying is find a place that has lapels, button stances, slimmer cuts, etc, more or less the way I want in they're house cut, and go from there?
Yes. Where are you located? From what I gather from your wish list, you may want to check Thick as Thieves. No personal experience, but rave reviews, great prices, slim cut, narrow lapels, etc.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the shops you are showing do m2m. the local tailor measures you, sends the numbers in.
the garment is cut and made in a semi production shop. the local tailor is responsible for the
final adjustments.
the production shop usually gives the tailor a style book to show what styles are available.
you are usually allowed to make some changes, pockets, lapels, higher armholes,etc. they will try to accommodate your special requests. just do not be disappointed if it is not exactly as you wanted.

if the garment is made in the same shop in which you were measured, you have the advantage to
check at fittings to see if it is coming out the way you wish.

which ever you choose, wear that favorite jacket. and tell him what you like and dont like about it.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I'm located in Montreal.

I'll check to see who has in house tailors for first priority, I do want fittings between and all that, plus I want to see/feel the fabric.

I'm trying to do this cheaper, and between fittings feels going the expensive bespoke route.

I was thinking more 500 - 600 per jacket with a high quality fabric and maybe a bit more for some canvassing.

Eight

Reaction score
I've used D'attilio for adjusting pant length for a few trousers I bought elsewhere and was satisfied with the work and with how they took my ideas and proposed theirs to make sure I was going to be happy.

I just gave them a suit I bought from tm lewin to have the sleeves shortened a bit and the pants done and used the opportunity to chat about their suits, sports coat and winter coats (there was a really nice one they had done with 50% wool/50% Cashmere). There are tons of fabrics to look through and touch and they will supply a sample if you desire. You can also supply fabrics if you wish. The prices were around 450-650$ for the jackets and suits and 800-900 for the winter coats, if I recall correctly. They said they could make the styling whatever one would specify.

The jackets I saw being made were half-canvassed, I think. I didn't get a chance to talk with the tailor/boss but the lady who took my measurments (seamstress?) seemed knowledgable and was enthusiastic about talking about her work. Not pushy at all.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
thanks eight. If the jackets are canvassed, or half, those prices are really good, I'd suppose. You went to the one in montreal right. Looks like this. http://www.tailleurdattilio.com/cgi-...c=41333&lang=2 I figure there should be an intersecting value somewhere, considering I'm not paying for a designer name of any sort and not altering the jacket once bought as usual. I wonder how many montrealer's visit SF.

Eight

Reaction score
Yup that's the one. On St-Hubert Street.

If I had a bit more funds right now, I would have already ordered a sports coat in a beautiful fabric I found there. Actually make that two or three...

One place I'd also like to try is Clusier in Old Montreal.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I saw clussier's site, It bothers me how most sites don't list the general costs.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Indochino and Moderntailor will copy best fitting clothing. This seems like the easiest way to get what you want.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that they won't exactly copy the jacket you give. They just take some key measurements from it and still use their own patterns. It's roughly the same if your jacket is sort of "normal".

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Thick as Thieves. No personal experience, but rave reviews, great prices, slim cut, narrow lapels, etc.

If by "rave reviews" you mean "seriously mixed reviews" and "comical house cut," then yes.

Eight

Reaction score
I'd like to amend my recommendation for D'attillo. Just got some stuff back for alterations, not an actual commission, and the work was not up to the first try's standards. Will see how they handle this.

Valproate

Reaction score
I have a suit made by Thick as Thieves. If you are in LA and can get measured by him, it's excellent. I asked for a conservative suit, and it is right on the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads