• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wide lapels on RLBL?

mrbig

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a new suit and I've seen a wide-lapel (almost PRL Garrison-ish) RLBL three piece...does anyone know how it fits? I don't have RLBL in my city (its in Australia....our SA's didn't even know RL made suits a few months ago) so I was wondering if there's anything I should know about this model.

Pics *greatly* appreciated; I can't really afford to make a mistake with this one; I don't have the time to exchange it without paying huge amounts for a courier from the US!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size are you?

RLBL usually has an 18.5 shoulder on its 40R models, and 18 on their 38R models.

Chest is pretty slim.

The shoulder is the most important measurement. As long as the shoulder fits well, everything else is easily altered (in most cases).

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And where did you find an RLBL 3 piece suit? I haven't seen anything like that in a while from BL.

mrbig

Reaction score
At the moment I'm only looking at the Anthony model that's got the wide lapel from the PRL Garrison; a couple members have/had RLBL three-pieces. I'm weighing up RLPL, Standard Anthony, Anthony Wide and PRL Garrison; keeping aside the obvious build differences (canvassing etc) but purely for cut. I'm wearing Gucci, Zegna and TF at the moment so I'd hopefully like to complement that if possible, but really it comes down to: I need to buy another suit, another good suit.

mrbig

Reaction score
And I'm a 42-44 R/L.

I go with whatever looks best on me without any tailoring, focussing on ^ shoulder fit and jacket length; then get it tailored to fit properly.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What size are you?

RLBL usually has an 18.5 shoulder on its 40R models, and 18 on their 38R models.

Chest is pretty slim.

The shoulder is the most important measurement. As long as the shoulder fits well, everything else is easily altered (in most cases).

I don't know that I've seen a BL shoulder fit well, at least not without the chest looking ridiculous.

mentir

Reaction score
I have a RLBL 3-piece and a RLBL sport coat that are both the wide-lapel cut you describe. The model name is 'Andrew.' Compared to the 'Anthony' model, the cut may be just slightly different but nothing too significant. In my eyes, it seems to me like the arms may be slightly higher and the buttoning point slightly lower. The silhuette is slightly more aggressive than the other 'Anthony' suits I own.

I'm not sure if you're unfamiliar with just this particular model or the fit off the rack of RLBL in general, so this frame of reference may not be of much help. I do not size up or size down in RLBL versus other RL jacket sizes. The RLPL Saville Row cut is pretty similar to RLBL, just without the heavy padding in the shoulders. I went with the same size in the Andrew as I do in the Anthony, and have the same alterations performed on each; the sides are brought in just slightly, sleeves brought up just slightly, and pants hemmed.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the fickle fashion business turns back to wide lapels and turns away from ball-hugging fit, would it then be the demise of the RLBL in general?

mrbig

Reaction score

I have a RLBL 3-piece and a RLBL sport coat that are both the wide-lapel cut you describe. The model name is 'Andrew.' Compared to the 'Anthony' model, the cut may be just slightly different but nothing too significant.

This. Would you have any pictures of how the 3-piece fits? The garrison lapels look a little off sometimes but I'm not sure (haven't seen any pictures to show a comparison) if the shape of the lapel is different on the RLBL.

Perhaps Ralph decided it was time to chase Tom Ford's look a little?

mentir

Reaction score
Didn't have any pictures that weren't action shots. I'll try to see if I can get one in the ubiquitous Robot Pose.

Disregard what I said about a possible difference in cut. I put the vest on and switched between the Andrew and Anthony jackets and the buttoning points seem identical. The lapels do seem just slightly wider than the Garrison. In my eyes, on a wide lapel, peaked works better than notched. That said, if you're set on RLBL would go with an Anthony with peaked lapels and abandon the wide lapel 3-piece. I agree that the garrison does look 'off' sometimes. All things being equal, I'd rather have a TF peak lapel 3-piece than the RLBL wide, notched 3-piece.

mrbig

Reaction score
^^ At this point even action shots would be great! In fact I think action shots are probably best to showcase how a garment fits....

I see your point and agree. If only a TF peak lapel 3-piece would come along at the same price :(

Although; I saw a PRL ad with a wide notch lapel navy blazer (the whole outfit was totally prepped out) and it looked really good.

I like the look of the regular Anthony jacket suit but I think it would accentuate my gut rather than hide it; it *is* a very slim suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads