• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Piece Suit Advice

FVogt

Reaction score
Dear Community
I really hope you can help me with my three piece suit problem.
First of all i would like to know how i could upgrade this suit, that it look more intresting and timeless and boring.
What could be the cause of that? the color? the it has notch and not peak lapels?
And i also would like to know hof i could make the suit look more in a 20s, 30s style?.
Should i go for a db waistcoat? or is that not enouth and should i search for a new jacket in the same fabric with peak lapels?

Pictures form my suit
1703845707847.jpeg

1703845696699.png

1703845817858.jpeg

Peak Lapel Jacket example that don't match the waistcoat and trousers
1703850377416.png

Style Inspiration
1703845846990.png

1703845857766.png

1703845911616.png

1703845900173.png

Attachments

• 1703845869574.png
    1703845869574.png
    174 KB · Views: 8

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
In that first picture, the jacket looks a whole size too big for you. The shoulders are way too big. Pants seem fine to me, but the jacket is definitely too big.

What color is the suit, also? I honestly can’t tell by your pictures if it’s navy, black, charcoal, or even dark brown.

Notch lapels absolutely shouldn’t make a good suit “boring” but peak lapels definitely do tend to add a little flair to a single breasted suit.

Regarding going for the 20s/30s vibe, older Ralph Lauren suits tend to have a more vintage design to them. Though personally I think you mean 20s style…the 30s the majority of people weren’t dressing for style but were waiting in breadlines 😬

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what stands out to me in your style inspiration photos is how much fuller the trousers are. See how tapered your trousers are relative to the jacket. I personally don't think the jacket is necessarily too large but the whole silhouette is a little unbalanced -- fuller jacket and tapered trousers.

If it's a vintage suit there may be enough seam inlay in the trousers to widen them.

The sleeves on your jacket are too long. I think if you address the sleeves and widen the trouser legs you'll be much closer to the look you're going for.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what stands out to me in your style inspiration photos is how much fuller the trousers are. See how tapered your trousers are relative to the jacket. I personally don't think the jacket is necessarily too large but the whole silhouette is a little unbalanced -- fuller jacket and tapered trousers.

If it's a vintage suit there may be enough seam inlay in the trousers to widen them.

The sleeves on your jacket are too long. I think if you address the sleeves and widen the trouser legs you'll be much closer to the look you're going for.
This. I was going to make the same comment about the sleeves and pants.

FVogt

Reaction score
In that first picture, the jacket looks a whole size too big for you. The shoulders are way too big. Pants seem fine to me, but the jacket is definitely too big.

What color is the suit, also? I honestly can’t tell by your pictures if it’s navy, black, charcoal, or even dark brown.

Notch lapels absolutely shouldn’t make a good suit “boring” but peak lapels definitely do tend to add a little flair to a single breasted suit.

Regarding going for the 20s/30s vibe, older Ralph Lauren suits tend to have a more vintage design to them. Though personally I think you mean 20s style…the 30s the majority of people weren’t dressing for style but were waiting in breadlines 😬
Thank you very much for your answer, it helps me a lot. The suit is anthracite in colour. If I may ask, would you say that the peak lapel or the notch lapel looks better or are both good?
1703845817858-jpeg.2099979

1703850377416-png.2100029

FVogt

Reaction score

Thank you i will look what i can do, it is sadly not a vtg suit because i never find one in my size.
Would you think a db Waistcoat like this would fit more in my style?
1703952713654.png

Last edited:

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answer, it helps me a lot. The suit is anthracite in colour. If I may ask, would you say that the peak lapel or the notch lapel looks better or are both good?
1703845817858-jpeg.2099979

1703850377416-png.2100029
It’s really up to your personal preference but when it comes to three-piece suits I always like peak lapels a little more. Always felt like a vest looked better with a peak lapel jacket.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you focus on styling details like lapels and waistcoat configuration, I really would try to improve your trouser fit. The ones you posted don’t fit you well, and in any case you are looking for a substantially wider trouser leg than those.

FVogt

Reaction score
Before you focus on styling details like lapels and waistcoat configuration, I really would try to improve your trouser fit. The ones you posted don’t fit you well, and in any case you are looking for a substantially wider trouser leg than those.
Thank you very much, i will look what i can do.

FVogt

Reaction score
I took another Photo from the trousers, how could i improve the fit if i may ask?
1704226760387.png

1704226787310.png

1704226802544.png

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took another Photo from the trousers, how could i improve the fit if i may ask?
View attachment 2102519
View attachment 2102523
View attachment 2102525
There are a couple of good articles in Put This On about trouser fit:
And this long and detailed piece from this site:
Hope that helps.

FVogt

Reaction score
I know I have asked a lot about the suit above, but just in case, where could I find a classic suit(high waist trousers, pleated) peak lapeled three piece suit in grey?

I've searched on vtg sites like ebay, etsy, grailed and vestier collectvie but I'm a size small (34-36 us) and can't find anything.

Do you have any suggestion where I could look?

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I have asked a lot about the suit above, but just in case, where could I find a classic suit(high waist trousers, pleated) peak lapeled three piece suit in grey?

I've searched on vtg sites like ebay, etsy, grailed and vestier collectvie but I'm a size small (34-36 us) and can't find anything.

Do you have any suggestion where I could look?
It's really hard. I've found sportcoats on those sites, but suits and trousers are challenging. One way to do this at a reasonable price is to use SuitSupply, but make sure that you know that you want and you direct the sales associate and not the other way around. Otherwise, they'll push you towards the "modern" look.

I recently got a suit stitched there in the classic style and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. The sales associate that I worked with understood what I wanted and appreciated my point of view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads