• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were double-breasted jackets invented?

majorhancock

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to some history on why/where/when double-breasted jackets were introduced? They've always seemed unnecessarily fussy to me.

I'd like to know the full story, but in the meantime, it seems to me that they must have been invented so that the wearer could button either right over left, or left over right, depending upon .... what?

Was it some sort of social indicator? Lower classes buttoned right over left; higher classes left over right? Or perhaps buttoning right over left (as in women's suits today) indicated a sexual preference? ... Just askin', folks.

A related question: How did buttoning left over right become the "standard" for men's jackets and shirts?

As you can see, I've got a lot to learn. Any help appreciated.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my knowledge, DB comes from the british navy captain's referee jacket.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
May be apocryphal but as more people are right handed I read that left over right made for unfettered access for a right hander to reach across and draw his sword carried on the left. If a naval officer is carrying a cutlass into battle that would tie in with the nautical angle too.

The Dentist

Reaction score
I hate single breasted jackets. All my bespoke jackets are double breasted.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's easy to say why button L over R - its easier for a right handed person. Amies repeats the sword thing in his book though.

Why women button the other way is more of a mystery. You'll hear some people say that it's because women are dressed by another woman while a man dresses himself, but this makes little sense to me. How many women buying RTW clothing are really dressed by someone else? Maybe on the back of a dress or something I could see it, but for a shirt or jacket front seems weird. I think it's probably just something that developed to quickly and easily help everyone distinguish between men's and women's clothing.

On the DB in general, Amies also claims the reefer jacket as ancestor of the modern DB lounge jacket. But it was hardly the first DB coat. The frock coat was also often double breasted, as well as tail coats (the eventual tail coat is double breasted but can't be closed).

Beau Brummell:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jXNyvNsF2To/TQOnWRfILVI/AAAAAAAAEdc/w1R2eOCFNow/s1600/beau_brummell.jpg

Even riding coats could be double breasted. If anything, single breasted is the more modern development. I can't really think of a pre-1900 jacket that was never made double breasted. Military uniforms were often DB:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Major_General_John_Tupper.JPG

US Civil War generals:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=civil+war+generals&FORM=HDRSC2#

George III:

http://www.britishbattles.com/images/king-george-iii.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easy to say why button L over R - its easier for a right handed person. Amies repeats the sword thing in his book though.

Why women button the other way is more of a mystery. You'll hear some people say that it's because women are dressed by another woman while a man dresses himself, but this makes little sense to me. How many women buying RTW clothing are really dressed by someone else? Maybe on the back of a dress or something I could see it, but for a shirt or jacket front seems weird. I think it's probably just something that developed to quickly and easily help everyone distinguish between men's and women's clothing.

Not a mystery at all.

Wealthy ladies would not dream of dressing themselves and had 'dressers' to do that menial task for them. Hence the buttoning arrangements which then became the norm, It has nothing whatever to do with RTW, that came far later.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And the reason why I mention RTW is that the vast majority of clothing today is RTW, and yet still it all buttons that way for ladies. But I'd be willing to accept the argument that, at first it was meant to mimic bespoke, and then there was a lockin effect from it being easier to button the way that you're used to buttoning.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a mystery at all.

Wealthy ladies would not dream of dressing themselves and had 'dressers' to do that menial task for them. Hence the buttoning arrangements which then became the norm, It has nothing whatever to do with RTW, that came far later.

This and also i recall something about how they were seated side saddle on horses and the button configuration prevented the wind blowing into their jackets

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for the mistake

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads